Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: MBA graduate student looking for CVO insights for a project with Harley-Davidson  (Read 10852 times)

ASUMBA

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

It would be incredibly helpful to obtain your insights/answers to the following 12 questions:
1. What type of CVO do you own?

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer?

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories? 

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes?

6. Why did you purchase your CVO? 

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO? 
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)?

8.  What do you like about your CVO? 

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements?

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)? 

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?

On behalf of my team, thank you so much for your help and insights-
Chris

(If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a phone interview, I can be contacted at cmarvine@asu.edu)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Chris...

You have no idea what you have just gotten yourself into...  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

Very interesting ... :toff:

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---

Chris...

You have no idea what you have just gotten yourself into...  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

I can't wait to read this 'blog' :)
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

It would be incredibly helpful to obtain your insights/answers to the following 12 questions:
1. What type of CVO do you own? SESG

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer? YES

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Exhaust, Seat, Tour Pak

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? Both

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  FLSTCI 2 of them
Did you add accessories to those bikes? Yes

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  NADA value is higher than a base bike with accessories

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO? After owning many bikes the only research is in the ride. Demo rides at Rapid City (Sturgis Rally)Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Yes Dealers websites are not very interactive and most of them never read or reply to their email through the websites!

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  The extendend bags and Led taillights mostly

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?   All the seats are made too short exposing the wires and it seems to escape the motor company. Any room for improvements? Mostly personal choice but I prefer the all chrome wheels to the contrast. Do not car for the painted cowbells and trim under the fairing. The rotors are not chrome or polished tacky at this price. The brake lines are braided on the lower section but plastic tubing up top where they connect to the chrome controls. ( and where you see them every time you ride it)

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? No

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  At 900 miles ant 30 days I hope not soon What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  Not really

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?The seat issues with the CVO Road Glides continue on the CVO Street glides and it isn't brain surgery. You can take a sundowner off the shelf and install it and see plainly the seats are made too short by close to 2 inches. For god sake fix it!!!!!!!
Chris

(If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a phone interview, I can be contacted at cmarvine@asu.edu)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:46:28 PM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Musclehead

As an executive mba grad, I feel your pain, so here's my input to help you along. Hope you are enjoying the experience.

1. What type of CVO do you own?  2010 CVO Ultra Classic (Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus)

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer?  Yes - Cross Roads H-D in Wilkesboro, NC

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Windshield with curve to deflect air higher & extensions for the highway pegs. Plan to add a replacement exhaust system and EFI tuner so it won't be tuned so lean.

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?  Long - I prefer 200 - 500 mile days. I don't use it to "run errands."

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes? Still own 2004 Road King Custom, 2006 Night Train and 2007 Street Glide. All have significant accessories from chrome parts to engine modifications.

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  Temporarily put aside all logical thinking. Actually wanted something more comfortable for my wife to ride with me. We are planning another cross country ride in 2010. The Night Train is hers, but she is more comfortable riding with me.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  I've been intereste in Harleys for several years and if you're around them you become familiar with the details. 
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)?  I did study the MOCO's printed and electronic literature.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  I think it is tastefully accessorized. I learned with my other bikes that I'd spend less money buying the CVO package than rebuilding the bike one piece at a time.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements? I dislike the EPA restrictions such as the catalytic converter and extremely lean tuning; however, I can't blame Harley for having to meet EPA regulations.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?  When you are spending CVO dollars, you always wish for more. The dealer I purchased it from does offer a free 1000 mile service which is a nice touch.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  Since I've only had this one for a month, it's hard to tell.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?  I've toured the York, PA facility where the touring bikes and all CVOs are assembled. At that time, all CVO were hand assembled by 2 person teams. I hear they are discontinuing that approach and adding the CVOs to the assembly line. Harley will have to be very careful to maintain the quality and attention to detail to maintain and grow their CVO customer base.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

1. What type of CVO do you own?   2010 SE Ultra - Scarlet red /Slate

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer? Yes

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Long list - Larger TB, Adj Pushrods, Woods cams, Ventilator A/C, Roller rockers, larger injectors, HD SuperTuner software, all engine bolts chromed. Headwork by Hillside. Those are the major upgrades to the engine.

I've also installed the detachable TP kit, George Andersen TP relocator bracket, upgraded speakers and amp from Biketronics.

Other upgrades include Boom Headset, saddlebag lid organizers, layback smoke BAL LED tailight, LED accent lighting, chrome lifter block covers, headlamp and passing lamp visors, 360 degree highway peg mounts, chrome radio/faceplate/speakers trim, suspension air pump, Kuryakyn floorboard relocators, Kuryakyn stabilizer cover, layback license plate and frame, chrome GPS mount (Zumo). Tried the shorty AM/FM and CB antennaes but they suck for reception and I went back to the factory antennas.

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?   Combination of many short rides,  2-5 hrs each combined with several multi-day rides during the riding season.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes?   Various Hondas and most recently 2003 Fatboy that was extensively upgraded (I still own).

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?   Better value and figured I would likely end up adding most of the upgrades anyways so I might as well start with them from the factory.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?   Lot's of research from many different websites including this one.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?   Just about everything except for those listed below.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?   Poor factory  performance for a 110 engine.  No oil temp gauge. Lousy radio display visibility. TP should come detachable from the factory. Far too lean engine performance  with exhaust system that is ridiculously hot.  Any room for improvements? Yes fix the things just listed

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?   Longer warranty.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?   Maybe  What type?   Future water-cooled bike. Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?   Design the engine management system with a wide-band O2 sensor for better performance management.

Chris

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:20:36 PM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Is it known for a fact the project has a patron?  Do you in fact already know that HD is interested in your answers?  They never seem to listen well to anyone else outside their own shop on so many issues.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:17:31 PM by Twolanerider »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

ASUMBA

No offense to you or what your trying to do but if the Motor Company cared enough to want my opinion they have my cell number.
If they were really concerned, they would have answered my customer survey questions that included my cell number.
I applaud you for trying to further your education but the Motor Company knows my number and where I live and if they really wanted my opinion they could find me.

SBB
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:59:14 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE

Chris,

I sent you a private e-mail with all of my responses.

This sums it up:

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?

I will NOT buy another CVO because I no longer trust Harley Davidson as a company. Read the Harley CVO web site and you will find dozens of disappointed ex-customers who feel like they have been burned!

Clyde
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:03:10 PM by WildClyde »

Wanna ride

I hate to take the wind out of your sails, rain on your parade, or whizz in your wheaties... but hey, it's what us old-dogs do.

The Mo-Co don't give a chit... about me, you, or otherwise. Now if you want to buy a $200 jacket for $400, well then, you will get their attention. But if you're looking to be heard... aint happenin'.

Personally, I find it somewhat adorable that you think they're genuinely interested in listening to you. You must have told them that you are considering buying a motorcycle in the next 30 days.

I apologize if I seem abrasive or abrupt... but that's what happens after you've bought a couple $20,000+ motorcycles from a fancy clothing store.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD

Chris,
If you want an A on your project, read all the posts on this site. Not only will your questions be answered but, you will learn a lot about life, people, CVO motorcycles, and the good and bad of the Motor CO.
Let us know how it turns out.
Mike 
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

HeHe!!! If HD really GAS, they'd have all the info they need right off of this site already!!! This can't be freakin real! Smells like fresh spam to me!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300

HeHe!!! If HD really GAS, they'd have all the info they need right off of this site already!!! This can't be freakin real! Smells like fresh spam to me!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;)

I thought the same thing. Chris Marvine is listed as a face book Phoenix AZ. user, but his profile is open to only friends. So perhaps the Phoenix part is correct. No other goggle info. If he is for real, he will post additional info about himself and his project. I'll make my judgement then.

ASUMBA

First, I appreciate the responses that I have received, which is helpful to my group since the universe of CVO owners is relatively small. 

As I mentioned, this is part of a school project.  I am a MBA student specializing in marketing.  A component of the marketing specialization is working on applied projects in conjunction with various companies.  My group's project is conjunction with Harley-Davidson who wanted us to study and make recommendations to assist with future CVOs.   

If anyone would prefer not to post their responses, feel free to email your responses to me at cmarvine@asu.edu.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

The Carey (no relation) School at ASU is the real deal.  The email address given shows as from asu.edu .  And this sounds like the sort of project that would get tasked in an MBA program.  I had no particular concern over those predicates not being as offered.  Still could not help but wonder whether assigned project meant just that or whether it was assigned with the blessing of the MoCo.

Even if the task comes with the wink and nod from HD too many of us will wonder if HD is really interested rather than merely doing good PR with a well known business school.  Those silly online surveys so many of us got (to no response), the too often lack of considered response to support, their willingness to almost hide contact information when support assistance is necessary and the general condescending tone so often given has rather poisoned the well for this cohort to have great faith in the MoCo's warm fuzzy intentions toward us at times other than bike purchase.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member

Even if the task comes with the wink and nod from HD too many of us will wonder if HD is really interested rather than merely doing good PR with a well known business school.  Those silly online surveys so many of us got (to no response), the too often lack of considered response to support, their willingness to almost hide contact information when support assistance is necessary and the general condescending tone so often given has rather poisoned the well for this cohort to have great faith in the MoCo's warm fuzzy intentions toward us at times other than bike purchase.

I could agree with you more :2vrolijk_21:

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

First, I appreciate the responses that I have received, which is helpful to my group since the universe of CVO owners is relatively small. 

As I mentioned, this is part of a school project.  I am a MBA student specializing in marketing.  A component of the marketing specialization is working on applied projects in conjunction with various companies.  My group's project is conjunction with Harley-Davidson who wanted us to study and make recommendations to assist with future CVOs.   

If anyone would prefer not to post their responses, feel free to email your responses to me at cmarvine@asu.edu.

Specialzing in Marketing?  To its market that is a strong suit for HD.  So the project and the company are perfect bedfellows.  The marketing data suggested by the questions is skewed though.  It nearly all suggests or portends things incident to or emotionally involved with the bike purchase experience.

We're all nuts.  We're wearing raging hard-ons for the first thousand miles after we get a new bike.  Most of us sell ourselves though.  We're long past needing Harley to do that for us.  Which, of course, is good for them.  The problems, however, and what the questions don't touch on nearly as much, isn't the buying experience.  The difficulties are much too often in the ownership experience. 

The company is cavalier and aloof to the point of arrogance and condescension.  Absolutist when it serves their purposes on service and warranty questions.  And incredibly flexible also.  Also when such is needed to suit their ends. 

The company you're hawking can sell the hell out of their bikes to such a committed small ownership group as this.  Too many of us unfortunately realize that this commitment to our enjoyment of the machines translates in to knowledge by HD that they can get away with a lot after the fact.  And they do.  A lot.

Wanna ride

I've realized that most of the enthusiasts on this board are more educated than most of the other motorcycle boards I frequent. And I have observed that many members here are in a higher income bracket than most of the members of those other boards. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

That being said, I have no formal education in marketing or business, and don't have an over-abundance of appreciation for the idea that just because someone went to a room a few days a week for an hour or so, for two-four years, and listened to someone lecture (who, by the way most of the time doesn't have any real-world experience him/her-self either)... doesn't make you an expert. I have to confess, in fact, when a younger person (under 30ish) starts to lecture why this or that works or doesn't... I tune them out. Mainly because, my perception is that they don't know their a$$ from third-base. They're doing what they watched someone else do... and that was stand in the front of aforementioned room and... and lecture.

It's difficult for me to dedicate very much interest or attention, into someone who doesn't speak (and/or teach) from personal, real-world experience.

Where am I going with this little rant? Well, it's pretty simple. It's as simple as... the MoCo should listen. Not to some lame-a$$ school project, but to the people with real-world experience of their company. Get to the root of the problem, and talk directly to the people who support them. Not some survey with a bunch of script gathered from a school-project. They have our phone numbers, they have our e-mail addresses. Call us, or write us... and be genuine and sincere about it. If your bike is financed through the MoCo, I can promise you if a payment is missed, SOMEONE (a LIVE person) will call you. They should have a department that was equally interested in hearing from YOU, when you have a problem with THEM.

We (the consumers) are not going to dedicate a genuine and sincere interest in an ingenuious and insincere inquiry to our shopping experience. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

I've realized that most of the enthusiasts on this board are more educated than most of the other motorcycle boards I frequent. And I have observed that many members here are in a higher income bracket than most of the members of those other boards. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

That being said, I have no formal education in marketing or business, and don't have an over-abundance of appreciation for the idea that just because someone went to a room a few days a week for an hour or so, for two-four years, and listened to someone lecture (who, by the way most of the time doesn't have any real-world experience him/her-self either)... doesn't make you an expert. I have to confess, in fact, when a younger person (under 30ish) starts to lecture why this or that works or doesn't... I tune them out. Mainly because, my perception is that they don't know their a$$ from third-base. They're doing what they watched someone else do... and that was stand in the front of aforementioned room and... and lecture.

It's difficult for me to dedicate very much interest or attention, into someone who doesn't speak (and/or teach) from personal, real-world experience.

Where am I going with this little rant? Well, it's pretty simple. It's as simple as... the MoCo should listen. Not to some lame-a$$ school project, but to the people with real-world experience of their company. Get to the root of the problem, and talk directly to the people who support them. Not some survey with a bunch of script gathered from a school-project. They have our phone numbers, they have our e-mail addresses. Call us, or write us... and be genuine and sincere about it. If your bike is financed through the MoCo, I can promise you if a payment is missed, SOMEONE (a LIVE person) will call you. They should have a department that was equally interested in hearing from YOU, when you have a problem with THEM.

We (the consumers) are not going to dedicate a genuine and sincere interest in an ingenuious and insincere inquiry to our shopping experience.  

:2vrolijk_21:

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Hey guys....give the kid a break. His request for information really has little to do with the MoCo. He's an MBA student looking to assemble a unique paper on CVO customer preferences and insights. I suspect his main goal being to achieve an "A" in the course. (I believe the story as I received a nice personal note from him thanking me for my replies and his email address is from asu.edu so I believe the background story for the survey.)

It really isn't going to cause you or anyone else any pain to share your responses to his questions. Is it likely to ever be read by anyone at the MoCo...probably not. Is it an innovative approach to gather research for an MBA studies paper...yeah, I think so. Wouldn't hurt anyone to take a few minutes with responses to these somewhat basic questions. Just my opinion.

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue

It doesn't take an MBA to figure out that a CVO aint worth what we paid for them. JMO. kb
kb

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Hey guys....give the kid a break. His request for information really has little to do with the MoCo. He's an MBA student looking to assemble a unique paper on CVO customer preferences and insights. I suspect his main goal being to achieve an "A" in the course. (I believe the story as I received a nice personal note from him thanking me for my replies and his email address is from asu.edu so I believe the background story for the survey.)

It really isn't going to cause you or anyone else any pain to share your responses to his questions. Is it likely to ever be read by anyone at the MoCo...probably not. Is it an innovative approach to gather research for an MBA studies paper...yeah, I think so. Wouldn't hurt anyone to take a few minutes with responses to these somewhat basic questions. Just my opinion.

Well said.......and I'm not college educated.  Two years is all they could handle me. :nixweiss:

This has been an interesting thread with interesting comments.  I think Chris is getting a general sense of resentment for the MoCo for their lack of interest for the consumer of their product or the genuine concerns that we may have for the product.  Hell, they don't even have an email address for customer service or on their web site.  

Chris, you're not the target but you should know that you'll run the gauntlet here.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

It doesn't take an MBA to figure out that a CVO aint worth what we paid for them. JMO. kb

Satirical humor.......sad but true.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide

Specialzing in Marketing?  To its market that is a strong suit for HD.  So the project and the company are perfect bedfellows.  The marketing data suggested by the questions is skewed though.  It nearly all suggests or portends things incident to or emotionally involved with the bike purchase experience.

We're all nuts.  We're wearing raging hard-ons for the first thousand miles after we get a new bike.  Most of us sell ourselves though.  We're long past needing Harley to do that for us.  Which, of course, is good for them.  The problems, however, and what the questions don't touch on nearly as much, isn't the buying experience.  The difficulties are much too often in the ownership experience. 

The company is cavalier and aloof to the point of arrogance and condescension.  Absolutist when it serves their purposes on service and warranty questions.  And incredibly flexible also.  Also when such is needed to suit their ends. 

The company you're hawking can sell the hell out of their bikes to such a committed small ownership group as this.  Too many of us unfortunately realize that this commitment to our enjoyment of the machines translates in to knowledge by HD that they can get away with a lot after the fact.  And they do.  A lot.
I agree with Twolane on this so might I suggest that if you are going to help this kid with this project think carefully about your answers to the question and spin them in a way that shows him the dissatisfactions some of you are feeling AFTER your purchase so that he (and just maybe the MOCO) can get a feeling for the real world of the CVO ownership. :soapbox:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

I agree with Twolane on this so might I suggest that if you are going to help this kid with this project think carefully about your answers to the question and spin them in a way that shows him the dissatisfactions some of you are feeling AFTER your purchase so that he (and just maybe the MOCO) can get a feeling for the real world of the CVO ownership. :soapbox:

Oh, they're aware.  It's no secret that they've monitored this forum for several years.  They acknowledged it in Rapid City. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

We know the MOCO probably doesnt once they cash our checks!

Same here what can it hurt to give him the info we share with each other freely? He could spend time on the pages of the forum and gather it anyway. Why not give hime a hand? Hell he may actually care?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:35:13 AM by JCZ »
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

1. What type of CVO do you own?2000 Triple Red Road Glide

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer?  No

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?   Windshield, slip on pipes, and many pieces of chrome trim.  These are basic items that almost all the members add to thier bikes that could be addressed at the development stage so add ons would not be needed. 

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?  A mix of both

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes?  Honda and yes we all try to make our bikes to our oun taste

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  I have always been impressed with the uniqueness of the CVO line and wanted to be the owner of a limited production bike 

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  Mostly on websites and magazines but the thing that got me really interested was the conversations with CVO owners themselves

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  I like the fact that it is one of the first in the CVO line and it is rare to see another one like it when I am out on the road 

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements?  Not too much with mine but the newer bikes in the line seem to have less zing to some of them and that means the owner has to spend a lot of money on a bike he allready spent so much on.  I think that the quality of the workmanship and design have lessened over the years, and can only get worse if the MOCO puts them on the main assemblly line as planned.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?  PROPER Customer service is the big issue with the MOCO.  They don't even have an E-mail address on thier website for customer service.   A number of times the MOCO doesn't even respond to our issues

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO? Yes  What type?  SERG  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)? 

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?  Just that if they REALLY want to know about us and SHOW that they CARE at all,  they should take a closer look at this site than they do now, and start to address the issues that are complained about over and over.  This would be a huge step in the right direction for customer relations improvement.

Chris

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

CVO Owners,

1. What type of CVO do you own?  2007 Ultra

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer?  Yes.

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?   Tour pack moved back with relocator, Rinehart pipes, Hawg Wired Amp/speakers, tour pack removable, windshield trim, louder horn, shift linkage, Zumo, shorty antennas, windshield (Clearview), comfort passenger pegs from Kuryakyn.

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?  Both. Have used it for coast to coast & from Florida to Canada.  Lots of 1,000 mile plus round trips.  Use it for local errands, etc.  Ride when I can.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes?  HD - Yes.  Yamahas - yes, Kawasakis - yes.

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  Like the bike. Good options. Distance riding.

Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)?  Friends, dealers, wrenches, forums.  

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  The ride.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements?  More customization should be offered from factory - accessories, etc.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?  Yeah.  Free service for life & a 100,000 mile warranty would be nice.   Would be ok with 4 years/50k.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  Yes.  Type depends on what is available - another Ultra.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?  Sure.  Not all CVO riders are as boneheaded as some of the replies in this thread might indicate.  If the MoCo would like to contact me for a survey, would be happy to go in depth with responses.  More custom options tailored to the individual would be good.

Chris

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:15:58 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC

Couldn't think of a good reason not to help out this student.
Exercise was therapeutic
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl

I think Chris should be applauded as to the subject matter for his MBA project if nothing else.  At least he is accessing the proper website for input.  Do the questions appear to be canned, sure they do.  But in a less than perfect world what other questions would you expect him to ask.  More than likely the MoCo is providing a list of questions as we ourselves have seen over the years.  I'll answer his questions, but I feel as though the only one to benefit will be him and I'm okay with that.  As far as the MoCo reading the results of his survery, I believe they probably will, but only to enhance sales, not to enhance customer satisfaction.

1.  2008 FLHTCUE3 Anniversary
2.  Yes, had to search online to find one and had it shipped 3500 miles to Alaska.  
3.  Moto Lites, Clearview windshield, Kuryakyn LED panacea tail lightsights/signal lights, saddlebag guards, chrome LED windshield bar, front/rear chrome speaker trim, third LED brake light beneath tour pack.
4.  L = 1200 miles, S - 39 miles (I drive it to work every day in the summer months)
5.  Several import bikes in my younger years.  More recently a 2002 FLSTC Heritage.
6.  As I grew a little older I wanted more of the creature comforts and fewer bugs in my teeth.
7.  Researched this website extensively and not to be deterred I bought one in spite!
8.  Most everything!
9.  There's not much I dislike, but there's always room for improvement!  I would like to see the heat issue addressed.
10.  I do believe the warranty period should be at least 3 years or higher mileage.  Up here in Alaska I'll run out of time long before I run out of mileage due to the short riding season.  Also if you have a history of a problem then I think that problem should continue to be fixed at the MoCo expense if it arises again.
11.  I probably won't buy another CVO.  Primarily because of my age.  I'll ride this one until I quit riding altogether.
12.  None that I believe the CVO folks would pay any attention to.

Chris,

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

Brett

Brett in AK

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

I responed via email and got a nice reply back from Chris.  I asked him if he minded if I posted it......  

JC,

I understand that skepticism regarding this project.  As we have interviewed people in-person, I have heard similar levels of skepticism that H-D really cares.  

Thank you for your comments.  I truly appreciate your willingness to share your experiences/insights about your CVOs.  I can assure that your concerns/comments will be incorporated in our report, including the idea that H-D needs solicit the opinions, ideas, and views of the CVO owners.  

Finally, thank you for allowing my post to remain your website. I have been reading posts for the last few weeks to obtain some background on CVO issues.  As you know, the “universe” of CVO owners is relatively small, so the ability to collect CVO surveys outside of the Phoenix area is incredibly helpful to my team, so that we may create a more representative report to provide to H-D.  

Thank you again,

Chris

By the way, Chris, for the record.....it's not my website.  I'm just another owner and a moderator here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:00:33 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member

All of the questions that you have asked have been discussed in depth on this forum...use the search function.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

All of the questions that you have asked have been discussed in depth on this forum...use the search function.

All kidding aside that would actually be a hell of a thesis project for someone.  Wading through all the incidents discussed here, picking and then documenting several and developing them in to case studies of client/vendor relationships and communication.

Hotrodstitcher

• Senior CVO Member
    • Sid Chavers Company

I think you guys might be missing a good opportunity to have you grips heard. The Motor Company may just read this guys material and do something with it, more so than just one of us calling or emailing...Just a thought...

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2

Chris, here are my answers to your survey...

1. 2005 FLHTCSE2 – Sunrise Yellow Pearl & Stingray Silver
2. Yes, but it was a consignment sale…the taxes were over $1000 cheaper!
3. Just a few.  I’ve added Kuryakyn reflective smoke Saddle Shields.  Kuryakyn reflective smoke Dragon Wing Air Deflectors.  Long Ride Shields 8” smoke windscreen.  Hot toppers chrome engine kit.  Chrome bolts, screws, etc. everywhere else.  Chrome EFI manifold cover & air cleaner Backplate.  Finned head bolt cover.  Harleygoodies floorboard extension kit.  Aux. run/brake/turn signal kit.  Shorty antennae and detachable locking hardware.

4. The average ride is 200-300 miles.  I hate to take her out for less than 100 and have put as many as 600 (definitely NOT with the stock seat & backrest).

5. 2003 FLHTCUI – About $9,000 in accessories.  3 Honda Goldwings and 1 Honda Valkyrie – several thousand in accessories.  Triumph, Suzuki and Yahama – no accessories.

6. Because it’s the top of the line…and I fell in love with the color back in ’05 when I first saw it.  At the time, there was NO WAY I could justify spending over $30,000 for a motorcycle, but a few years later and about $11,000 less and I now have one that was at least as good as new. 

7. I looked on the web for any info I could find on the CVO’s.  I studied their features, performance, etc.

8.  The one of a kind color and features.  Many dealers I visit have not even seen and ’05 FLHTCSE2 in the sunrise yellow.  Some of them mistake it for the ’09 SE Road Glide in yellow. 

9.  Harley could have done an even better job of customizing the bike.  There are too many “ordinary items” on the bike for the price.  There is always room for improvements to be made.  They could start by making the seating more comfortable, giving the motor more horsepower, etc.

10. The warranties should have some sort of mileage clause in them.  Many of the riders don’t put that many miles on their bikes (probably due to the purchase price)and the warranties run out too soon with little mileage.

11.  I would definitely purchase another if Harley came back with the Electra Glide Classic, or if they offered the tour-pak and lower fairings on the Street Glide.  As far as other models in the CVO line, in my opinion, the CVO’s are becoming much too common.  Coming out with the same models EVERY year is getting old.  If they brought out a CVO model every 2-3 years, I believe they would be more in demand and generate more interest, although not many people can afford almost $40,000 for a FLHTCUSE either.

12. Harley Davidson should be a little more receptive to the problems many CVO owners have had and are having with them.  They’ve built a “special bike” at a “special” price.  The people that buy them should be able to expect that the CVO bikes’ quality reflect their price and exclusivity.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Uhhhh, didn't you disprove that theory buy actually buying one???????

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living

CVO Owners,

1. What type of CVO do you own? 2009 Ultra Classic (Blue the slowest color)

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer? Yes (MSRP)

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Yes, no offense we all add something. The list is long, I will name a few for you.....
Lowered Shocks, Grab rails for passenger, saddle bag protectors, Speakers, Amplifier, Pull back handlebars.

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? I do both Long 600-800 miles/ Short 100-300 miles

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes? Yamaha/No  ......... Harleys/Yes

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  I put $10,000.00 in accesories on another bike and got nothing in return.....CVO's come with many creature comforts and there is a decent return when you trade the bike in/or sell it.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  I did the math on building up the Ultra Classic compared to the CVO and still came up short on the Ultra Classics Motor.
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Tried to figure it out myself.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  Most everything.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements? There's always room for improvements, everyones taste is different as well. Harley provides the CVO, the owner personalizes it.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? I will agree with someone elses comment....if something on the bike continues to fail Harley should warranty for as long as you own the bike ie. (Heated Hand Grips)

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  I think the Trike would be sweet, I also think if you wait 2 years you will see one. As far as the next one, it will most likely be the same as the one I own now.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study? I think Harley needs to pay attention to detail, the QC (Quality Control) on the CVO is horrible, and I think they lose more money in replacing items on these bikes then they should.

Chris

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300

I guess my initial skepticism of this questionair arose from this post coming in on the heals of HD's repetitive requests for me to take an on line survey asking about my riding habits, motor upgrades, add ons, etc. Perhaps a keen marketing tool, but the entrance to the survey is password protected, prompting me to question weather the survey is to solely gather info on my bike as I have had numerous factory and extended warranty work done.

At this point, it seems that Chris's motives are strictly academic and confidential and perhaps I am just a bit paranoid.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)

CVO Owners,

1. What type of CVO do you own? 2010 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE--Candy Concord

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories? YES aftermarket exhaust, tag bracket, inner fairing trim pieces--etc.  

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? Both as has been reported by other members.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes? Approximately 24 new bikes over the years. I currently have a "unfired" VRXSE Destroyer as well. YES I did accessorize them all except the Destroyer

6. Why did you purchase your CVO? In my experience there is considerably more value in the CVO bikes. Also they were assembled by a dedicated team who understood the value proposition and their role--to build exceptionally high quality motorcycles for the high end Harley-Davidson client. Also the fact that there aren't that many made (unique), the resale of a CVO percentage wise is much better over time that a standard model.  

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO? The Harley-Davidson web site location for new CVO bikes. Far too much time was spent on determining: 1. WHICH Dealer actually had the bike in their possession when I wanted it. 2. WHO would sell me the bike a MSRP.  

RECOMMENDED SOLUTION: I have been floating this solution to anyone who will listen: Sell the bikes over the Internet at MSRP to the customers. Like many here I would be more than willing to go to the Harley web site and look over the new bike offerings and select the model, color and features I want, pay for it and have it shipped to either my front door (preferred) or to a local dealer for me to pick up.  It should be ready to ride when I get there. This is Supply Chain management at its best. It gets rid of the obnoxious salesmen who don't know as much about the bikes as I do.

FAILING THAT: Please publish the shipping and delivery schedule on the Harley Web site.  It should indicate the receiving dealers, when they will arrive, the colors and models and the MSRP price.

The notion of waiting for your local dealer to "allow you" to buy a bike from him at way over MSRP when they receive it is gone forever!!

Please consider my case as an example, I located the bike I wanted over the telephone at the price I was willing to pay (MSRP). I closed the deal over the phone, sent the check via FedEx to the dealer which arrived the next morning at 10 am and I showed up the 2nd day to pick the bike up. Neat, clean and very little hassle EXCEPT that I had to travel 465 miles each way to get it BECAUSE SOME dealers closer to me were trying to get up to $9k over MSRP!!!

Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Please see above.

PLEASE SEE MY NEXT POST FOR THE REMAINING QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:59:24 PM by CVOStreetglide »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)

CONTINUED......

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  The overall quality fit, finish and the uniqueness and performance. Please see comments in the next section

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements? YES. (ASSUMPTIONS) Unfortunately there were union negotiations going on when my bike was being made along with the decision to dissolve the CVO teams. This is a bad move for the motor company!! If you consider the pricing component alone, this bike deserves far more hands on care and quality control than the normal automated manufacturing and assembly process.

In my case; 1.The inner bags were not finished as well as the outer portions. 2. The rubber strip separating the inner and outer fairing is too short and has had to be reseated 3 times to date because it comes loose when you are riding the bike. 3. The left upperspeaker wire was not connected during manufacturing so it didn't work. This requires the removal of the inner and outer fairing to correct 4. Almost ALL of the nuts, bolts and screws were not tightened or torqued to the factory specs in the service manual. I have been doing it one section at a time using the service manual.  

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? YES. I think that the warranty should be increased to 5 years/unlimited mileage for all CVO's. Also, it should include the tire and wheel warranty. In addition all services should be included in the purchase price. I ALSO THINK THE ULTRA DELUXE RADIO SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL RADIO EQUIPPED CVO'S.
11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO? YES What type?  FL TOURING LINES Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)? Please see previous comment

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PASS ON ANY AND ALL COMMENTS TO HARLEY-DAVIDSON!!

Chris

(If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a phone interview, I can be contacted at cmarvine@asu.edu)[/quote]

Thanks very much for giving us the opportunity to participate. Will you please share/post your composite study findings and recommendations to the "Motor Company" on this site along with their comments and response???

Jerry S
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:59:56 PM by CVOStreetglide »

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD

Chris, I was not trying to be a smart a$$ in telling you to read the posts on this site. I was just letting you know that there is a lot of information on this site covering most all of the good and bad f owning a CVO. You will also gain an insite to the type of people that buy these bikes and their passion they have for their bikes.
Good luck!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy

Chris...

Good job Murphy

Ya called this one :soapbox:

Rob
Rob

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member

I once had a boss. When there were problems or issues he would stop me dead in my tracks. He simply said; "I don't want more info about the problem, if you don't have a solution then shutup."

That's the way I see this. You can complain about how the moco doesn't care and be ignored, or offer some real solutions to real problems that may make a difference...

That's just me, jb

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member

I once had a boss. When there were problems or issues he would stop me dead in my tracks. He simply said; "I don't want more info about the problem, if you don't have a solution then shutup."

That's the way I see this. You can complain about how the moco doesn't care and be ignored, or offer some real solutions to real problems that may make a difference...

That's just me, jb

This is a project not a problem solving thread.  I am sure your boss (when you had one) has given you projects, which you may have succeeded in, or you may have failed.

Just in case you didn't read it.

"The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services."
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

That's just me, jb

Very well said! :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:11:24 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

There is a solution to the seat issues the stock Street Glide seat is 2" longer covering the dash panel.

Also the Touring model Sundowner (which is what I'm currently using) is the same way and covers the wiring filling the embarrassing gap of the CVO seat!

If they can make seat models that fit properly they should likewise be able to build the CVO seat properly as well!

One is left to rationalize why they continue to put improperly fit seats on their most expensive models?????
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

Picture is a nice touch!!

The reason I answered no on the warranty question was because they don't honor it anyway!

The chrome started peeling on my Harley wheels after being on the bike less than 60 days and under 300 miles. Harley's response was the chrome peeling wasn't covered because they were not dealer installed. Hmmmm 2,500 for wheels and the install causes peeling?

I'll never buy another wheel from Harley and will buy any chrome accessories I can through another vendor! Looking at RC Components wheels now for the SESG! 7 year exchange replacement warranty, No thats a company proud and confident of their products!

Wake up Harley can you say recession?

Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)

Chris

I feel your pain. I am also in MBA school. It is a ton of work and I applaud your efforts. I am 36 so it pretty much has scrambled my brain. I am only a quarter into the program and haven't started the thesis part of the program yet, but I find it an interesting topic that you have chosen. With that said, I will answer your questions. I can only hope that something productive from the motor company comes from this project.  However, I am not holding my breath.

1. What type of CVO do you own? 2008 FLHRSE4

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  YES, Exhaust, air cleaner, cams, mini ape hangers, seat

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? A typical ride is about 80 miles or so around the area, with a couple of 500-1000 mile trips per year.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own? 1996 Superglide, 2002 FLHRSEI, 2008 STREET GLIDE, 2006 FLHTCUSE, 2007 FAT BOY Did you add accessories to those bikes? Always

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  I liked buying a bike already decked out with accessories, very tastefully done and not having a black fat boy or street glide like everybody else around here.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  www.cvoharley.com
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? internet, other owners

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  Ride, look, power, sound

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO? cost  Any room for improvements? lower cost

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? I did not purchase additional warranty

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO? Not any time soon.  What type? SESG or another SERK if they come out with another model that I just have to have. Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  not that hasn't already been one.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study? LISTEN TO THE OWNERS!!!!!!!!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Wanna ride

I apologize if I initially came across tough on the kid, it wasn't intended for him personally. I applaud him for working towards a successful future with an education. But to possibly think it's going to make everyone back at the mother-ship treat their customers better? Ya' ever wonder why a whipped dog always acts skiddish, and scared?

That's just me, jb
The key reference to that comparison is... you worked for HIM.
Well... last I checked... I don't work for the Moco. Some of the problems might be mine to accept, or deal with, but it will NEVER be my problem to fix. Maybe if our bikes cost half of what we pay for them, but the last time I checked, I wrote the check that bought that bike. so... they work for me... and you, and every other customer.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member

This is a project not a problem solving thread.  I am sure your boss (when you had one) has given you projects, which you may have succeeded in, or you may have failed.

Just in case you didn't read it.

"The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services."

" in order to assist with future CVO models and services."
[/quote]
Yep,that's what I read..

jb

DanM

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4

1. What type of CVO do you own? 2009 FLHTCUSE4

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer? Yes, a dealer.

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories? Yes, Exhaust, air cleaner, TTS tune, tweeter pod. 

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? One 6000 mile trip, One 1200 mile trip, and several 100-200 mile trips.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes? 2003 Heritage Softail and more accessories than I can count.

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  Wanted a touring model and wanted it fully loaded when I purchased it.

Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Dealer, searched the web, and friends who have CVOs.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  I like it already tricked out.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements? Biggest dislike is that the GPS should operate with out CDs.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? 5 year warranty to be included in the price.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)? I plan to always have a CVO. If I buy another one it will be a touring model. 

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study? Producing a quality product is a must.

ASUMBA

On behalf of my team, thank you so much for your responses.  It is impressive to see each of your dedication and strong feelings towards Harley-Davidson and the CVO models in particular.  Given your tremendous response, we have been able to collect a large amount of fantastic qualitative information for our school project.  Given the large amount of information we have already received, I am closing this thread. However, if you still desire to fill out a questionnaire please email me your answers to directly at cmarvine@asu.edu.  Your comments both on the forum and in the emails many of you sent me have been incredibly insightful, thanks.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member

On behalf of my team, thank you so much for your responses.  It is impressive to see each of your dedication and strong feelings towards Harley-Davidson and the CVO models in particular.  Given your tremendous response, we have been able to collect a large amount of fantastic qualitative information for our school project.  Given the large amount of information we have already received, I am closing this thread. However, if you still desire to fill out a questionnaire please email me your answers to directly at cmarvine@asu.edu.  Your comments both on the forum and in the emails many of you sent me have been incredibly insightful, thanks.

Good luck to you and the Team.

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE

Good Luck! It would be real cool if you could post a summary of your findings when they are ready!

It was exactly three years ago today that my 2007 CVO passed final inspection and was put on the truck for delivery. The bike arrived a couple of weeks later and my salesman called and said "I have good news and bad news - the good news is that your bike arrived. The bad news is that it has problems. The paint on the right tank could not have passed final inspection, the top of the inner fairing is not finished." I learned through this experience that bikes that are put on the truck for delivery on the last day before the one week Thanksgiving plant shutdown can have their final inspection rushed (I'm being nice here). The bikes put on the truck today may also have the additional baggage of being handled by workers who are voting on a new labor contract that might save their jobs. See http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/11/harley-davidson_contract_could.html and  http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_13832340. Let's hope that today's bikes leave in better shape then mine did.

Clyde

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"

ASUMBA

No offense to you or what your trying to do but if the Motor Company cared enough to want my opinion they have my cell number.
If they were really concerned, they would have answered my customer survey questions that included my cell number.
I applaud you for trying to further your education but the Motor Company knows my number and where I live and if they really wanted my opinion they could find me.

SBB

Amen...Plus I'm not getting paid to do their market research...Let me see if I get this..They want our opinion so they can increase their bottom line after I paid for my bike(s) and they can't even warranty a POS 407 tire.. I'll pass...   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Let's see; 4 days of "information gathering" from 53 total posts, most of which were questioning the study itself and the study is closed??????  Another "customer satisfaction study" to stick in the bathroom and use for it's intended purpose. :sauer005: :puke: :sauer019:
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty

Tough crowd!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

Let's see; 4 days of "information gathering" from 53 total posts, most of which were questioning the study itself and the study is closed??????  Another "customer satisfaction study" to stick in the bathroom and use for it's intended purpose. :sauer005: :puke: :sauer019:
Don't forget that the young lad also had other resources and ALL of these threads to gather more info from.  Thats not to say the MOCO will give a chit about the report (which we would all love to see posted here as well) but that He has more than likely got enough research material to compile his report.

"Just sayin "

Marty   :pepper:

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Some of you guys don't know when to let go. First there's whining when a kid on a college project asks for your opinion (hard to believe on this forum) and then there's whining because he no longer needs your opinion.

No wonder so many people think Harley owners are nuts.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black

Darn the post is closed just when I was ready to throw off the curve and tell chris how my bike is perfect and MOCO customer service is amazing  !

Dickw hit the mark. FINAL INSPECTION, every cvo should be THROUGHLY inspected before it leaves the factory and apparently its not.
 :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Some of you guys don't know when to let go. First there's whining when a kid on a college project asks for your opinion (hard to believe on this forum) and then there's whining because he no longer needs your opinion.

Sad but true.  People whine because the MoCo exhibits an attitude of "couldn't care less".  But then when an opportunity is presented where the MoCo might look at a collective review of CVO owner's views, opinions and thoughts from a neutral third party.....then they lock up and go the other direction...whinning and complaining as they go.  I don't get it. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage

I am like a few others here in asking "Why doesn't the MoCo just contact us directly??  And accumulate the responses then allow some data cruncher to make sense of it all (which could be you or another analyst).  Anyway, I want to respond so here goes:

1. What type of CVO do you own? 2008 FLHTCUSE3

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  Yes, Rinehart TDs, Stage I intake, SERT, chrome fender tips, saddlebage chrome guards, windshield chrome strip, instrument panel chrome bezel, oil temp gauge, chrome passenger hand grips, chrome bezels on rear speakers, shorty antennas, footpeg brackets (to make them reachable), rear lower shocks, headlight and passing lamp shrouds, GPS chrome mount, Formotion temp gauge, passenger footboard spacer (left side)

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? A typical ride is about 150 miles or so around the area with annual trips of 1000+ miles.  My 1.5 yr old bike now has 24,000+ miles.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own? 1965 Suzuki 150, 1969 BSA 250, 1971 Honda CB350, 2001 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 2005 Kawasaki VN2000 Limited.  Only accessorized the post 2000 vintage bikes.

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  This is my first HD and I wanted to get the top-of-the-line.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  Not much, I had familiarity with the touring models and had rented (2) Electra Glide Classics for extended periods previous to my purchase.

Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Friends, websites, and mostly from riding rentals.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  Ride smoothness, overall looks, sound, excellent cruise control, CB, wide dealer support network

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO? Excess summer heat, too much shake at idle, poor passenger ergonomics, location of passenger boards makes backing up a chore.  Any room for improvements? Water-cooling (I do not ride my bike in temps >90 due to heat; I ride my Kawasaki VN2000 (bigger motor but it's water-cooled and much cooler in traffic).  Relocate the oil filter so it's easier to change without making a mess.  Get a air temp gauge that works.  Put a fill plug for the primary so one doesn't need to remove 5 screws and a plug to change primary oil.  Provide a REAL GPS, not that cheap POS that comes with the bike.  Provide an electric windshield for vertical adjustment (or at LEAST make it adjustable manually).

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? I did not purchase additional warranty nor would I likely ever purchase one.  Make the factory warranty for CVO at least 3 years.  Stand behind your premier product.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO? Yes.  What type? Another touring model but not until some of these issues are addressed.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?  Some "extras" could be dropped like garage door opener and the "gold" key.  I do like the cover and saddlebag liners.  That GPS has got to be changed to a type that is equivalent to a Garmin Streetpilot or Zumo.

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE

Good Luck! It would be real cool if you could post a summary of your findings when they are ready!

It was exactly three years ago today that my 2007 CVO passed final inspection and was put on the truck for delivery. The bike arrived a couple of weeks later and my salesman called and said "I have good news and bad news - the good news is that your bike arrived. The bad news is that it has problems. The paint on the right tank could not have passed final inspection, the top of the inner fairing is not finished." I learned through this experience that bikes that are put on the truck for delivery on the last day before the one week Thanksgiving plant shutdown can have their final inspection rushed (I'm being nice here). The bikes put on the truck today may also have the additional baggage of being handled by workers who are voting on a new labor contract that might save their jobs. See http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/11/harley-davidson_contract_could.html and  http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_13832340. Let's hope that today's bikes leave in better shape then mine did.

Clyde
Thanks for this response very interesting reading :2vrolijk_21: My SESG assembly date is in Feb 2010 so I am very interested in the York plant situation.
Hawg

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member

OMG!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

Apparently noone noticed the study was closed at line 53?
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Sad but true.  People whine because the MoCo exhibits an attitude of "couldn't care less".  But then when an opportunity is presented where the MoCo might look at a collective review of CVO owner's views, opinions and thoughts from a neutral third party.....then they lock up and go the other direction...whinning and complaining as they go.  I don't get it. :nixweiss:

There are 10000+ members on this site.  At least 90% are truly CVO owners and many have more than one CVO in their stable.  This "study"  admitted that the Phoenix area was lacking in CVO owners and was looking for a larger sampling, so they come here.  They get maybe 15 posted responses and an unknown number emailed directly to them.  Even if we TRIPLE the posted number, they got a TOTAL of 60 responses from a membership of 10,000!  Hell, 2Lane got more responses asking whether he's a bigger a-hole than TwoLane!!!  Sorry, but having dealt with statistics for a long time now, their sample is completely b-sh$t.  They don't even have enough of a sample to get a decent presurvey result.  And the sampling error is going to be so high and the p-value so out there that they should be sent back to 1st year statistics for even thinking of handing in such crap.  Master's program, my a$$.  It's about like Hoist's view of a warranty.  

And I ain't whining, only stating facts. period.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Wanna ride

I'd just like to add that, a Harley is a Harley. CVO or not. The company's quality assurance, and customer service problems are not limited to the CVO line. I realize the original post was directed to the CVO owners specifically, but all the problems listed above are rooted in the same company, CVO or not.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage

:soapbox:OH YEAH, one more "improvement suggestion" for the MoCo:

Stop effin around with these 'special' fasteners!!  Dump the torx fasteners for allen heads - and WTF is this 12-point, 10mm  bolt doing on my brake caliper????  :nixweiss: Can you say "asinine"???  Some "American" iron....metric fastener... :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

Now I'm off the box.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

Hey, Harley cares, remember that book they sent us?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

hogasm

Want to get the MOCO to listen to you as a whole......

STOP SPENDING MONEY WITH THEM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Want to get the MOCO to listen to you as a whole......

STOP SPENDING MONEY WITH THEM

Uh... Brian, what kind of a hole :nixweiss: ?

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black

uhhhh.....Hahahahaha.....he said HOLE...hahahahaha
a.k.a  Dent Dude

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

uhhhh.....Hahahahaha.....he said HOLE...hahahahaha

That was two (butt)holes.  Must be an 02 tank graphic.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

I think we've just come up with the 2011 newest Harley model, the FLHOLE.  You dump money into it and it leaks all over the floor.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

You dump money into it and it leaks all over the floor.

That's got to be one of the nostalgic or retro models John.  Homage to everything pre-Evo and/or the first 110s.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3

CVO Owners,

1. What type of CVO do you own? 2009 FXSTSSE3

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories? Power commander and soon to add windshield and detachable luggage rack

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? I ride to and from work a lot(100 mile round trip) and on the weekends I usually ride the whole day.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes? 2004 1200 sportser custom and 2007FXSTC and added a lot of chrome, saddle bags, and windshields to both.

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  It was an amazing looking bike that I couldn't build for any cheaper

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  read what owners had been saying on the internet and friends that had CVO's
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Websites, friends, and a trusted dealer.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  Paint, chrome, and overall awesomeness ha ha

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements? The paint seems to be defective. Upsetting for how much money was spent.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? Extended overall warranty would be nice since you spend so much for one.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  I would by a CVO Dyna, ultra classic, or street glide. Make the springer again.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study? I would be nice if HD could design a breather that doesn't puke oil!

Chris

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.595 seconds with 24 queries.