Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: MBA graduate student looking for CVO insights for a project with Harley-Davidson  (Read 10804 times)

ASUMBA

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

It would be incredibly helpful to obtain your insights/answers to the following 12 questions:
1. What type of CVO do you own?

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer?

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories? 

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes?

6. Why did you purchase your CVO? 

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO? 
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)?

8.  What do you like about your CVO? 

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements?

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)? 

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?

On behalf of my team, thank you so much for your help and insights-
Chris

(If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a phone interview, I can be contacted at cmarvine@asu.edu)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Chris...

You have no idea what you have just gotten yourself into...  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

Very interesting ... :toff:

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---

Chris...

You have no idea what you have just gotten yourself into...  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

I can't wait to read this 'blog' :)
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

It would be incredibly helpful to obtain your insights/answers to the following 12 questions:
1. What type of CVO do you own? SESG

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer? YES

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Exhaust, Seat, Tour Pak

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short? Both

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  FLSTCI 2 of them
Did you add accessories to those bikes? Yes

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  NADA value is higher than a base bike with accessories

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO? After owning many bikes the only research is in the ride. Demo rides at Rapid City (Sturgis Rally)Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)? Yes Dealers websites are not very interactive and most of them never read or reply to their email through the websites!

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  The extendend bags and Led taillights mostly

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?   All the seats are made too short exposing the wires and it seems to escape the motor company. Any room for improvements? Mostly personal choice but I prefer the all chrome wheels to the contrast. Do not car for the painted cowbells and trim under the fairing. The rotors are not chrome or polished tacky at this price. The brake lines are braided on the lower section but plastic tubing up top where they connect to the chrome controls. ( and where you see them every time you ride it)

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO? No

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  At 900 miles ant 30 days I hope not soon What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  Not really

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?The seat issues with the CVO Road Glides continue on the CVO Street glides and it isn't brain surgery. You can take a sundowner off the shelf and install it and see plainly the seats are made too short by close to 2 inches. For god sake fix it!!!!!!!
Chris

(If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a phone interview, I can be contacted at cmarvine@asu.edu)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:46:28 PM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Musclehead

As an executive mba grad, I feel your pain, so here's my input to help you along. Hope you are enjoying the experience.

1. What type of CVO do you own?  2010 CVO Ultra Classic (Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus)

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer?  Yes - Cross Roads H-D in Wilkesboro, NC

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Windshield with curve to deflect air higher & extensions for the highway pegs. Plan to add a replacement exhaust system and EFI tuner so it won't be tuned so lean.

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?  Long - I prefer 200 - 500 mile days. I don't use it to "run errands."

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes? Still own 2004 Road King Custom, 2006 Night Train and 2007 Street Glide. All have significant accessories from chrome parts to engine modifications.

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?  Temporarily put aside all logical thinking. Actually wanted something more comfortable for my wife to ride with me. We are planning another cross country ride in 2010. The Night Train is hers, but she is more comfortable riding with me.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?  I've been intereste in Harleys for several years and if you're around them you become familiar with the details. 
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)?  I did study the MOCO's printed and electronic literature.

8.  What do you like about your CVO?  I think it is tastefully accessorized. I learned with my other bikes that I'd spend less money buying the CVO package than rebuilding the bike one piece at a time.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?  Any room for improvements? I dislike the EPA restrictions such as the catalytic converter and extremely lean tuning; however, I can't blame Harley for having to meet EPA regulations.

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?  When you are spending CVO dollars, you always wish for more. The dealer I purchased it from does offer a free 1000 mile service which is a nice touch.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  Since I've only had this one for a month, it's hard to tell.

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?  I've toured the York, PA facility where the touring bikes and all CVOs are assembled. At that time, all CVO were hand assembled by 2 person teams. I hear they are discontinuing that approach and adding the CVOs to the assembly line. Harley will have to be very careful to maintain the quality and attention to detail to maintain and grow their CVO customer base.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

CVO Owners,

I am a MBA graduate student at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business, specializing in Marketing.  As part of a school project, I am working on a project in conjunction with Harley-Davidson.  The goal of this project is to provide H-D with insights into its CVO customers, in order to assist with future CVO models and services. (No one in anyway will attempt to contact you to sell you anything, this study is an educational project.)  While my team and I have been lucky enough to talk to CVO customers in the Phoenix area, we are hoping to collect insights from a larger group of CVO owners.

1. What type of CVO do you own?   2010 SE Ultra - Scarlet red /Slate

2. Did you buy your CVO from a dealer? Yes

3. Have you added accessories to your CVO?  If so, what accessories?  Long list - Larger TB, Adj Pushrods, Woods cams, Ventilator A/C, Roller rockers, larger injectors, HD SuperTuner software, all engine bolts chromed. Headwork by Hillside. Those are the major upgrades to the engine.

I've also installed the detachable TP kit, George Andersen TP relocator bracket, upgraded speakers and amp from Biketronics.

Other upgrades include Boom Headset, saddlebag lid organizers, layback smoke BAL LED tailight, LED accent lighting, chrome lifter block covers, headlamp and passing lamp visors, 360 degree highway peg mounts, chrome radio/faceplate/speakers trim, suspension air pump, Kuryakyn floorboard relocators, Kuryakyn stabilizer cover, layback license plate and frame, chrome GPS mount (Zumo). Tried the shorty AM/FM and CB antennaes but they suck for reception and I went back to the factory antennas.

4. What is a typical ride for you on your CVO? Long? Short?   Combination of many short rides,  2-5 hrs each combined with several multi-day rides during the riding season.

5. What motorcycles did you previously own?  Did you add accessories to those bikes?   Various Hondas and most recently 2003 Fatboy that was extensively upgraded (I still own).

6. Why did you purchase your CVO?   Better value and figured I would likely end up adding most of the upgrades anyways so I might as well start with them from the factory.

7. What type of research did you do prior to buying your CVO?   Lot's of research from many different websites including this one.
Where did you go to find information (dealer, websites, etc.)?

8.  What do you like about your CVO?   Just about everything except for those listed below.

9.  What do you dislike about your CVO?   Poor factory  performance for a 110 engine.  No oil temp gauge. Lousy radio display visibility. TP should come detachable from the factory. Far too lean engine performance  with exhaust system that is ridiculously hot.  Any room for improvements? Yes fix the things just listed

10. Are there are services or additional warranties that you wish came along with the CVO?   Longer warranty.

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?   Maybe  What type?   Future water-cooled bike. Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?  

12. Any other comments about your CVO that you would like us to pass along to H-D as part of our study?   Design the engine management system with a wide-band O2 sensor for better performance management.

Chris

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:20:36 PM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Is it known for a fact the project has a patron?  Do you in fact already know that HD is interested in your answers?  They never seem to listen well to anyone else outside their own shop on so many issues.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:17:31 PM by Twolanerider »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

ASUMBA

No offense to you or what your trying to do but if the Motor Company cared enough to want my opinion they have my cell number.
If they were really concerned, they would have answered my customer survey questions that included my cell number.
I applaud you for trying to further your education but the Motor Company knows my number and where I live and if they really wanted my opinion they could find me.

SBB
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:59:14 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE

Chris,

I sent you a private e-mail with all of my responses.

This sums it up:

11.  Do you think you will buy another CVO?  What type?  Any motorcycle types that you would like to see become a CVO (ex. a trike)?

I will NOT buy another CVO because I no longer trust Harley Davidson as a company. Read the Harley CVO web site and you will find dozens of disappointed ex-customers who feel like they have been burned!

Clyde
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:03:10 PM by WildClyde »

Wanna ride

I hate to take the wind out of your sails, rain on your parade, or whizz in your wheaties... but hey, it's what us old-dogs do.

The Mo-Co don't give a chit... about me, you, or otherwise. Now if you want to buy a $200 jacket for $400, well then, you will get their attention. But if you're looking to be heard... aint happenin'.

Personally, I find it somewhat adorable that you think they're genuinely interested in listening to you. You must have told them that you are considering buying a motorcycle in the next 30 days.

I apologize if I seem abrasive or abrupt... but that's what happens after you've bought a couple $20,000+ motorcycles from a fancy clothing store.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD

Chris,
If you want an A on your project, read all the posts on this site. Not only will your questions be answered but, you will learn a lot about life, people, CVO motorcycles, and the good and bad of the Motor CO.
Let us know how it turns out.
Mike 
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

HeHe!!! If HD really GAS, they'd have all the info they need right off of this site already!!! This can't be freakin real! Smells like fresh spam to me!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300

HeHe!!! If HD really GAS, they'd have all the info they need right off of this site already!!! This can't be freakin real! Smells like fresh spam to me!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
I thought the same thing. Chris Marvine is listed as a face book Phoenix AZ. user, but his profile is open to only friends. So perhaps the Phoenix part is correct. No other goggle info. If he is for real, he will post additional info about himself and his project. I'll make my judgement then.

ASUMBA

First, I appreciate the responses that I have received, which is helpful to my group since the universe of CVO owners is relatively small. 

As I mentioned, this is part of a school project.  I am a MBA student specializing in marketing.  A component of the marketing specialization is working on applied projects in conjunction with various companies.  My group's project is conjunction with Harley-Davidson who wanted us to study and make recommendations to assist with future CVOs.   

If anyone would prefer not to post their responses, feel free to email your responses to me at cmarvine@asu.edu.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 25 queries.