Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Heated Grip Failures  (Read 10972 times)

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
Re: Heated Grip Failures
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »

Hey all - I'm on my third set of heated grips. Perhaps the third time is a charm, but here's what I did to remedy the constant grip burnout.  Have you ever noticed how much rust and crud accumulates at the open end of the left handlebar? That's because water gets in when you wash your bike or when it rains.  Your bike also leans to the left when it's on the jiffy stand so gravity pushes any moisture directly for the end of the left grip. Unfortunately, the controller for the HD heated grips just happens to be located right where the water gathers and as we all know mixing electricity and water usually has a bad result i.e. shorts. One member even mentioned getting a jolt from the grip. Ouch! So I waterproofed the grip assembly during installation by applying silicone sealant to the end of the grip that locks inside the switch cover. I also put a thin coat on the handlebars themselves.  It's been more than a year since the install and so far so good (knock on wood).  Hope this suggestion helps out.  PJ

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »

good idea,, i think you're on to something. Thanks for the tip  :2vrolijk_21:

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »

don't even get me started.......too late... I have had the left grip replaced, both grips replaces, a special set from the moco sent in to be replaced and guess what here it comes.....they still don't work. I am out of gripping about my grips.

Oh then the seat stopped working but now that is fixed 3rd time so while I have had 2 sets of heads put on and "The Program" done noting gets me madder than the heated grips or the unheated grips in this case.

I think the MOCO should buy us all heated gloves and call a duck a duck. :jack:

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

after 3 sets i just gave up and put regular grips on.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »

how sad to have you biggest purchasers give up.  :'(

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »

The Heat Demons appear to be an excellent product & actually work.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »

The Heat Demons appear to be an excellent product & actually work.

wished they had a TBW version

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »

wished they had a TBW version

I recently had the only failure I think any of us have known on the Heat Demons.  It was a DOA element on the set I put in the SERG.  Symtec was great on the service/support end replacing the part and getting it out.  It was an exceptional experience with a vendor.

While I was chatting with them about the part failure we got to talking about their upcoming products.  If they don't have a electronic throttle version out yet they have to be very very close.  When I spoke with them a couple months ago it was expected to be ready a month or so later.  I just left a message with Mike Alemang (that's who we worked with there before for the group buy) to find out for sure.  Will let you know when he calls back.

They also had a soon to be released product that was sort of a generic solution for various problems that don't always exist.  They were going to release a power plug that was controlled at the grips.  Going to use a clamp mounted switch like the heat demons have.  This switch would turn a remotely mounted power plug on and off.  I kept thinking of it as a second accessory switch.  Useful for auxiliary lighting or other things I guess you'd not think of until the need arises.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »

I recently had the only failure I think any of us have known on the Heat Demons.  It was a DOA element on the set I put in the SERG.  Symtec was great on the service/support end replacing the part and getting it out.  It was an exceptional experience with a vendor.

While I was chatting with them about the part failure we got to talking about their upcoming products.  If they don't have a electronic throttle version out yet they have to be very very close.  When I spoke with them a couple months ago it was expected to be ready a month or so later.  I just left a message with Mike Alemang (that's who we worked with there before for the group buy) to find out for sure.  Will let you know when he calls back.

They also had a soon to be released product that was sort of a generic solution for various problems that don't always exist.  They were going to release a power plug that was controlled at the grips.  Going to use a clamp mounted switch like the heat demons have.  This switch would turn a remotely mounted power plug on and off.  I kept thinking of it as a second accessory switch.  Useful for auxiliary lighting or other things I guess you'd not think of until the need arises.

Wish they had a version of HD to fit the Strato, but nothing on their site that would work with the bar switch.  May have to adapt one of the snowmobile versions somehow.  The extra aux power switch would come in handy too.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 10:42:14 PM »

Spoke with Mike Alemang at Symtec this afternoon.  This is the company that makes the Heat Demons grips so many of us have had such good luck with previously.

Mike informs us that they do have a package now for the newer bikes with electronic throttle.  They are ready to go.  Very limited supply in the vendor channel so far but they can be purchased directly from Symtec.  763-571-9313 is company phone.  Ask for Mike Alemang. 

He is also willing to do a group buy for these new kits as we did in large number a couple years ago for their prior Harley kit.  Since the new SE Ultras have heated grips to begin I'd be surprised if there's 20 members ready to dump their in-warranty OE heated grips and try something else.  That being so anyone who is ready to throw in the towel and try something that seems to have a good track record might give Mike a call.

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »

Can the Demons work with the factory heated grips still in place ?

Do the Demons go inside the handle bar or in the grip somehow ?

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »

Mike informs us that they do have a package now for the newer bikes with electronic throttle.  They are ready to go.  Very limited supply in the vendor channel so far but they can be purchased directly from Symtec.  763-571-9313 is company phone.  Ask for Mike Alemang. 

TwoLaneRider,
thanks for the info and follow up. I'll call Mike tomorrow and order a set up. This is good timing since I am in middle of replacing stock bars with Wild Ones. Bars were suppose to come in today but i guess UPS didn't make deliveries today.  Will let everyone know how these work out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 01:14:37 AM »

Can the Demons work with the factory heated grips still in place ?

Do the Demons go inside the handle bar or in the grip somehow ?

Only spoke with Mike/Symtec about the existence of the product and current availability.  For details on installation/fitment you'll need to call Symtec.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »

TwoLaneRider,
thanks for the info and follow up. I'll call Mike tomorrow and order a set up. This is good timing since I am in middle of replacing stock bars with Wild Ones. Bars were suppose to come in today but i guess UPS didn't make deliveries today.  Will let everyone know how these work out.

Have no idea if in fact will or not but it can't hurt to mention being part of the CVO group.  Mike knows we bought several sets from him before and I've spoken with him now about at least the potential for more sales.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »

Have no idea if in fact will or not but it can't hurt to mention being part of the CVO group.  Mike knows we bought several sets from him before and I've spoken with him now about at least the potential for more sales.

TwoLaneRider,

Here is a copy of Mikes reply regarding 2008-09 models. They even have a kit for the 1.25 bars.  It sounds like you may have called him about the group buy discounts. Once we get the info posted for the group buy I will buy a set via the group buy. Thanks for sparking this up.

Yes.. I can confirm that we have a kit for the 08-09 touring models. We also have a kit that will work for 1.25" bars and 08 touring combined. The part
number is:
210045CETCHUB 08 touring/1.25" handlebars/Chrome switch
210046BETCHUB 08 touring/1.25" handlebars/Black switch
The retail price for the kit is $159.95.

The part number for the 08 touring kit is:
210045CET 08 tour
210046BET 08 tour
The retail price for the kit is $149.95

I just got off the phone with a person from the CVO group and I will be offering a group buy price. Please check
with the CVO group for the discount. If you want them ASAP.. Call me direct and I will take care of the order.
Thanks,
Mike

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:43:44 PM by sportygordy »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.