Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Best Slip-On For The Conv?  (Read 10428 times)

pm203

• Full CVO Member
Best Slip-On For The Conv?
« on: November 24, 2010, 09:40:03 PM »

Well, I finally got my new Conv just in time to put her away for the winter. I haven't even heard her run yet, but based on what I have heard, sewing machine comes to mind. My last bike was a CVO Springer and i had upgraded that with V+H Big Radius. While I liked them, I thought that they covered too much of the engine chrome and were just a hair too loud. I think that the big shots staggered would work well for me, but the bike isn't even broken in yet. So, I would like to start out with some slip-ons. What I have heard is that there are 49 and 50 state HD mufflers. I also know that V+H make them, but am not crazy about how the tips look. So, what is the best slip-on  to retain the stock look while adding some noise to the beast?

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:46:44 PM by pm203 »

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
Re: Best Slip-On For The Conv?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »

i am bookede in this saturday for se slip ons and a sert, on my 2011 convertible, heard them already as the service manager has them on his bike, collected a day after i collected mine,
you are right though it is soooo quiet

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »

Going straight for the vance hines big rads from the off and some ear plugs

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »

The V+H are not loud, unless you really get on it, and if under a bridge................earplugs please.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48:24 AM »

i am bookede in this saturday for se slip ons and a sert, on my 2011 convertible, heard them already as the service manager has them on his bike, collected a day after i collected mine,
you are right though it is soooo quiet

How did they sound?

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »

I put on the screaming eagle slip on mufflers.  They are a little louder than stock, but have a much better tone. (my ears don't like loud anymore)  The heat shields went right back on the new pipes so the only difference from stock is a better tone.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »

So what kind of mufflers do our bikes come with??  I thought they might would be screamin' eagle slip-ons. ... No??? 

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:17 AM »

the aussie bikes are even worse of than you get , we get tapered super quiet, not even the slash cut, i am very dissapointed today , it is saturday arvo in good old melbourne town, and it is pissing down as we say in australia, means it is bucketing vdown , storms all day, i was booked in for my new se mufflers and sert , but i decided to leave the bike in the garage as i dont want to wash the mud and slush off, so it  will go in monday or tuesday, which means its still bright and shiny

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:41:28 AM »

Hey dcigar,

Are you going to get a chance to take a couple of snaps before you do your mods.

Cheers,

Kev

PS well go snow here :-(

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »

photos taken , will load them on soon
 :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
i know
they are coming

oldnavydude

• Junior CVO Member
  • THELMA

• CVO1: :THELMA: 2012 FLHXSE3 "RUBY RED" FULLSAC X PIPE 2 1/4" FULLSAC BAFFLES SESPT TUNER 7in SMOKED FREEDOM SHIELDS
    • CVO2: :LOUISE: 1981 FLH SHOVELHEAD BAGGER 80 C.I.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »

when my 2010 was delivered i had PYTHON slip on's installed. love the sound. it's always a personal thing with pipes anyway, right?

mn.cvo

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 04:43:41 PM »

I have put the rush 1.75 slip-ons onto my 2011 cvo softail.  At first I thought they might be a little too loud, but after listening to other bikes, I would imagine a lot of people would think just the opposite.  I only had about 300 miles on the bike when I did the switch, so original pipes came off fairly easily.  I almost always wear earplugs just to keep the wind buffeting noise muffled, so no matter how loud the pipes would be, they wouldn't bother me.  Just don't want to piss others off.  In spring, I will be getting it dyno tuned.  Bike seemed to run fine with just a hint of popping on large decels.

Rick

goldfar

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »

Well, it is very much personal preference, but here's my slip-on story for what it's worth.

When I got the bike, I told the dealer that I would not be replacing the stock mufflers...I liked loud cars and bikes when I was 18, but that was 47 years ago and my tastes have mellowed with age.  Having said that, after 2 weeks with the stock pipes, I had to agree that they DO sound like a sewing machine!  Strangers would come over, look at the bike, say something like, "nice bike man, what does it sound like?"  I'd start the engine and they would look at me funny and then walk away!!  It just didn't sound like a Harley - Honda was more like it.

So began the search.

I really didn't want loud, I can wear ear plugs but my neighbors generally do not. 

The parts folks at the H-D dealership finally understood.  Parts Manager, Tim, said, "You want Screaming Eagle, 49 state legal, pipes."  "We have a customer's bike in Service Dept with those pipes, bring yours around to service and we'll compare."  Great!  Like picking out stereo speakers - listen to one set, then listen to the second set.  "What's on my bike now" I asked, "aren't they Screaming Eagle pipes?"  "Yes" said Tim, "Screaming Eagle 50 STATE LEGAL PIPES.  Can you hear what a great difference one state makes!"

Perfect (for me) sounds like a Harley (the potato - potato thing) yet not so loud as to be obnoxious, even to the South Park kids.

Went and got a TTS Tuner and ran the whole thing over to the local tuning Wizard, whom you know from these pages.  He plugged a map into that sucker that makes it twice as quick and it runs 25 degrees cooler with the loss of only one MPG, give or take a pint.

Here is what they look like…

Good luck!

2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »

Looks just like the stock slip-ons.. Is this the P/N 80495-07

Did you reuse the heat shields?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

goldfar

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:49 PM »

yes, pn 80495-07 and yes, reused heat shield.

As they are 49 state legal, you might guess which one state I can never visit.  Don't you live there??  Can you buy these there or will Arnold come and impound your bike?? :)
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.