Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '07 Six Speed Tranny Problems  (Read 1935 times)

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
'07 Six Speed Tranny Problems
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:45:34 PM »

Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but here goes.

My '07 SE Ultra has been in the shop for over a week now. It has 800 miles on it. I started noticing fluid leaking after about 500 miles. It was dripping onto the floor in the area of the left rear shock. Took it to my dealer and they put it on the dyno to see where the fluid was blowing out and they said it is coming out of the top of the tranny where the electronic speed sensor goes into the tranny case. They called the MoCo and a new tranny case is supposed to be on the way.

Talked to my dealer today, since the bike was supposed to be fixed by yesterday, and he said the new tranny case still isn't here yet.

I asked my Service Manager if this is an isolated problem and he said since I brought my bike in they have had two more w/ the same problem come in (2 Heritage Softails-'07 w/ 6 speed). He said when they took the tranny cases off there is severe porosity inside the aluminum casting which allows the tranny fluid to travel up to the hole for the speed sensor and leak out around the rubber O-ring. He said the problem is severe as the inside of the tranny case "looks like the surface of the moon"!!

I asked him if the MOCO is aware of the problem and he said he is sure they are but they aren't saying anything. He said he believes this is a widespread national problem since this is a small dealership and they have already had 3 bikes come in w' the same problem. He said the inside of the cast  aluminum case looks so bad to the naked eye he couldn't believe that the MOCO even let them leave the factory that way. I asked if the '07 tranny was the same as the 6 speed that came on the '06 Dyna and he said "no, the touring and softail models have a different case".

If anyone notices fluid leaking on their '07 six speed, it could be dangerous to ride because it is blowing oil back onto the rear tire!!

Hopefully the MOCO will have a fix soon. I've been without my CVO for 8 days now and I'm already experiencing withdrawal symptoms!!!  

I'll update everyone as soon as I receive any word from my dealer regarding this problem.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: '07 Six Speed Tranny Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »

Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but here goes.

My '07 SE Ultra has been in the shop for over a week now. It has 800 miles on it. I started noticing fluid leaking after about 500 miles. It was dripping onto the floor in the area of the left rear shock. Took it to my dealer and they put it on the dyno to see where the fluid was blowing out and they said it is coming out of the top of the tranny where the electronic speed sensor goes into the tranny case. They called the MoCo and a new tranny case is supposed to be on the way.

Talked to my dealer today, since the bike was supposed to be fixed by yesterday, and he said the new tranny case still isn't here yet.

I asked my Service Manager if this is an isolated problem and he said since I brought my bike in they have had two more w/ the same problem come in (2 Heritage Softails-'07 w/ 6 speed). He said when they took the tranny cases off there is severe porosity inside the aluminum casting which allows the tranny fluid to travel up to the hole for the speed sensor and leak out around the rubber O-ring. He said the problem is severe as the inside of the tranny case "looks like the surface of the moon"!!

I asked him if the MOCO is aware of the problem and he said he is sure they are but they aren't saying anything. He said he believes this is a widespread national problem since this is a small dealership and they have already had 3 bikes come in w' the same problem. He said the inside of the cast
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:03:42 PM by twolanerider »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 02:58:55 PM »

ace,

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:00:46 PM by SPIDERMAN »

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:13 PM »

Spider, I first noticed just a small drop after parking the bike in the garage overnite, and it gradually got worse with time and miles. My Service Manager just called and said the new tranny case came in, and guess what, it has worse pitting and porosity than the original!!! He called the MOCO and they are going to "handpick" a tranny case for me out of the parts bin (hopefully without porosity) and have it shipped here by next monday (repair by next wednesday) , which means at least two weeks w/o my bike since taking it in. At least with bad paint on the'06 models you could keep riding your scoot until the new parts came in. My bike is tore apart on the lift at the dealer, and even if they put it back together I couldn't ride it because it is blowing oil on the rear wheel which could be very dangerous.  It is hard to believe that the MOCO can't even (yes I can believe it!!!) [smiley=soapbox.gif]
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 12:33:59 PM »

Had similar problem on my '99 TC Ultra.  Seems that quite a few of the early twin cam motors had crankcases with porous castings.  Yeah, you'd think the moco would learn and have better qc over this.

At least with the engine being disassembled for the new crankcases I was able to upgrade to the stage II bb kit with no labor cost.  No upside to having your tranny case replaced of course - just down time.  Hope you're back in the wind very soon with problem solved.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 01:52:31 PM »

......At least with the engine being disassembled for the new crankcases I was able to upgrade to the stage II bb kit with no labor cost.......
This brings up a good point. So how can we help ace get rid of some of that money that is weighing him down? What could he add on in the way of OCD while the bike is torn down and save on labor. Wouldn't want him to be like me and forget the chrome starter while doing the chrome inner primary. Heh, there two already.....

1. Chrome Inner Primary
2. Chrome Starter

Come on people let's help our fellow brotha out. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »

I would think,if you asked (demanded?) for a loaner,the dealer would give you a FLHTC from his rental fleet..so you could ride while your BRAND NEW , $33,000.00 bike is laid up.
Tell him you promise not to tell anybody  how good they took care of you...so eveyone else wont expect a loaner.
Since the speed sensor is exposed to trans fluid all the time..has to be to work where its located...I suspect the porosity is so bad that it's above the area where the "o" ring seats......otherwise it wouldnt matter as the "o" ring would stop any fluid (what it's there for in the first place) from seeping out........hope you're burnin gas real soon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:40:40 PM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

firegabe

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »

wow kinda makes me happy I had my factory 5 speed changed over to a 6. just the gears baby just the gears,
I still can't believe I bought it!!!!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 01:43:59 PM »

Hope this isn't a major problem for all the guys that got the 07's, but if more than 3 are at one shop it could be.

Mass produced casting which is rushed or over taxed in order to crank out castings has certainly led to problems in the auto industry, as recently as five years ago.  The problem was derived from the supplier trying to crank out an icreased volume of catings without tooling up and getting by with only limited casting facilities.  Eventually solved with new equipment, but it waas a pain to all when it was going on.

Keep us informed as to your progress.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.