Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Revolution?  (Read 17897 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Re: Revolution?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 08:44:38 AM »

A little more background info...According to Wikipedia….

The Revolution engine
•   Revolution, Jointly designed and developed with Porsche in Germany and based on the VR1000 Harley-Davidson Super Bike engine, 2002-present, 69 cubic inches (1,131 cc), 60 degree V-twin, liquid cooled.
•   Used in VRSC (V-Twin Racing Street Custom) models. At first it was used in a single model called V-Rod. By 2006, the line had been expanded to five consumer model V-Rods, including the standard V-Rod, the "roadster-styled" Street Rod, the long and low Night Rod, and the VRSCSE² Screamin’ Eagle V-Rod with 1,250 cc big bore kit. 2007 saw the addition of further models like the VRSCDX "Night Rod Special" and the VRSCA being replaced by the VRSCAW with a 240 wide rear tire (up from the 180 rear tire on the "A")
•   There is also a non-street variant: the VRXSE Destroyer. The Screamin’ Eagle V-Rod Destroyer is a 165+hp, professional-level drag racing motorcycle designed exclusively for competition by Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations; it comes stock with larger 79 cui engine, air shifter and wheelie bar, among other features. The Destroyer is tuned to make sub 10-second quarter mile runs in the hands of an experienced rider.
•  Revolution models utilize the Revolution engine (VR), and the street versions are designated Street Custom (SC). After the VRSC- prefix common to all street Revolution bikes, the next letter denotes the model, either A (base V-Rod), B (discontinued), D (Night Rod), R (Street Rod), SE (CVO Special Edition), or X. Further differentiation within models are made with an additional letter, e.g. VRSCDX denotes the Night Rod Special.
•   The factory drag bike, the VRXSE Destroyer, uses X instead of SC to denote a non-street bike and SE to denote a CVO Special Edition

VRSC
Introduced in 2001, the VRSC family bears little resemblance to Harley's more traditional lineup. Competing against Japanese and American muscle bikes and seeking to expand its market appeal, the "V-Rod" makes use of an engine developed jointly with Porsche that, for the first time in Harley history, incorporates fuel injection, overhead cams, and liquid cooling. The V-Rod is visually distinctive, easily identified by the 60-degree V-Twin engine, the radiator and the hydroformed frame members that support the round-topped air cleaner cover. Based on the VR-1000 racing motorcycle, it continues to be a platform around which Harley-Davidson builds drag-racing competition machines. The V-Rod has gathered an enthusiastic following in the U.S., Europe and Australia, and an annual Rally at the Kansas City production facility has been organized by Max Millender and the members of a 18,000 strong internet discussion forum www.1130cc.com. Bill Davidson has presented Mr Millender with a signed airbox cover to recognize the contribution the forum has made to the VRSC platform which continues to evolve with models like the Night Rod Special, or VRSCDX.
In 2008, Harley added anti-lock braking systems as a factory installed option on all VRSC models. Harley also increased the displacement of the engine from 1130cc's to 1250cc's.

Maybe Neal should get a signed 08' Ultra for creating this site and helping to promote CVO's. ;)

Ed :pepper:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 11:10:23 AM »

Don,
According to the manual, "The coolant is re-circulated through the cylinders and the combustion chamber in the cylinder heads. The thermostat blocks the passage to the radiator to recirculate the coolant. As the coolant exits the pump, it flows through the crankcase and around the cylinder liners removing the heat build up caused by the motion of the piston rings. From the cylinder liners, the coolant flows up through the cylinder head and around the exhaust valves and combustion chamber, it then flows back through the closed thermostat into the pump to repeat the cycle."

"Once the coolant exceeds 100C the thermostat remains open and blocks the by-pass between the entrance and exit ports of the case."

"After the coolant leaves the cylinder heads it flows through the radiator inlet coolant pipe to the radiator..."

The original VR1000 motors didn't have the cooling fins and the documentary on the creation of the V-Rod makes mention that the designers needed to have the fins to allow for a more "Standard" Harley look. I remember them saying that they weren't needed because of the efficiency of the cooling system but I'll watch it again.

Thanks Ed.  Had some vague recollection of reading somewhere that the water jacket only went part way up the cylinders.  Looked and haven't been able to find the reference though.  Did find a reference to the cylinders in the old NOVA project having a water jacket configuration something like this.  So might have just had the water cooled engines confused :nixweiss: .

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »

Thanks Ed.  Had some vague recollection of reading somewhere that the water jacket only went part way up the cylinders.  Looked and haven't been able to find the reference though.  Did find a reference to the cylinders in the old NOVA project having a water jacket configuration something like this.  So might have just had the water cooled engines confused :nixweiss: .

Old NOVA project! Cool! You're not talking about a chevy 400 with siamese water jackets?

There are a few drawings of the motor internals in the manual but it's in PDF and I can't copy clips out of it. If I get a chance I'll print them out and scan them to post.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 12:13:46 PM »

Old NOVA project! Cool! You're not talking about a chevy 400 with siamese water jackets?

There are a few drawings of the motor internals in the manual but it's in PDF and I can't copy clips out of it. If I get a chance I'll print them out and scan them to post.

Nope, no small block 400s on my mind here :drink: .

I've been a fan of both the history and the mythology that seem to surround the NOVA for a long time.  A lot of very cool ideas there.  Some they've still not implemented yet this many years later.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:16:01 PM by Twolanerider »

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:22:40 PM »

cool!

litox

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 07 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE
    • Tecnologia de Alto Desempeno
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 09:43:57 PM »

I am a member and moderator over at 1130cc.com. Just like here great site and members. LOTS of info on the revo over there.  ;D

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 11:26:23 PM »

I am a member and moderator over at 1130cc.com. Just like here great site and members. LOTS of info on the revo over there.  ;D

There is a ton of info on that site and 100's of thousands of posts. If you want to do something to a V-Rod someone has already done it there. I'm a member there too.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »

Excellent!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.