Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Extended Forward Controls  (Read 6362 times)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Extended Forward Controls
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »

Rides on my '08 Springer around 250 miles/day are about my limit.  My hip flexors ache.  I'm thinking the extended controls will help by extending the controls 3" forward.  I've read the various posts on the site.  I'm 6' but I've got long thigh bones.  For those of you using the extended controls, would appreciate feedback:

1.  Did they put extra pressure on your back?

2.  How's the ground clearance?  Did you notice more scraping on corners?

3.  Any clearance problems with the front fender, especially if you hit the brakes while turning (such as in a parking lot)?

Thanks for the feedback. 

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448766859&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302289223&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302289223&bmUID=1253453502715&bmLocale=en_US

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Re: Extended Forward Controls
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »

If anyone has done this I would also like to hear from you. I am 6'3" and starting to seriously look at doing this because of my ape like frame. ha ha!

Also, I noticed that when you go to the MOCO site and look at accessories for the springer the extended reach kit doesn't show up. I love whoever is keeping up with that crap.   :)

chriscraig73

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »

I have an '08 CVO Springer and put the 3" extended forward controls on. I'm 6'4" and could barely ride more than 250 miles before I put the controls on. My knees and hips would start to hurt after about 100 miles and I could barely get off the bike after 250 miles. I thought I had made a mistake in buying a forward control bike.... then I put on the extended controls from Harley... I've done 3 trips over 3000 miles each and haven't had a single hip or knee problem since. To answer your specific questions:

1. At 6'4" I haven't noticed any significant back pain due to the forward controls. However, at 6' you might. If so, I'd consider an upgraded seat that helps support your back a bit.

2. No scraping on the controls at all. I scrape my pipes all over the place, but that's a different issue :(

3. No clearance issues with the fender at all. The controls provide more than adequate clearance.

The only real issue I have with the extended controls has to do with the quality of the finish on the front of the controls. It is hard to see unless you are looking for it, but the castings used to form the controls left marks on the surface that show through the chrome. It makes them look a little cheap if you look at them just right. Not a huge issue, but a little annoying.

Bottom Line, I'm a tall guy and wouldn't ride without them. Good luck!

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:30:46 PM »

Thanks a lot for the insight. I'm going to run with it. Biggest concern was scraping and fender clearance. Not much time left in Ohio to ride but hope to get one or two long trips in to try them out. Thanks again.

jester

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

I finally got around to putting the 3" extensions from Arlen Ness on my 07', now I'm mad at myself for not doing it as soon as I got them.  I'm 6'4" and the difference in the ride comfort is amazing.  Now I need to put that new seat on and I'll be set.

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »

Just picked my bike with the Harley extended controls added. As mentioned, front casting a little rough but overall appearance is great. I'm 6' with a lot of my height in my legs. Feels great to be stretched out. Remains to be seen if there's a big improvement on the longer rides but short ride today showed difference in comfort. 

jester

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »

300+ miles yesterday with the extended controls and a new seat  WOW  my rides will be longer all the time now

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »

As stated before,the HD 3" extended controls,and Tallboy seat transformed my bike into a long distance rider. Without these mods,I would have sold it after the first month.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 11:55:36 AM »

If anyone of you that have installed the extended controls could post a picture of what they look like on the bike I would greatly appreciate it.

Herrmen.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »

Hermen

What you have to realize is that there are simple cheap plates that will extend your existing controls,and there are controls from HD that are not extended brackets,but controls that are manufactured 3'' forward that look like the stock controls. The HD extended controls are about $650 so that is way more than extended plates. I am cheap in a lot of ways,but did not want to buy Ness extended plates on a $25,000 motorcycle.

They bassically look just like the factory controls except longer as opposed to a extended plate. Not

Not a good pic,but all I have. Go look at them t your dealer. You can see the value.

jester

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »

i guess if you're that concerned about looks then the HD extended works.  Looking at the picture it doesn't look like you get the extension of the foot pegs, only the controls.  The Ness extensions gave me both

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »

Everything is moved forward 3",including the pegs.

jester

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »

Well, they do look nice.  if I come up with an extra $650

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »

Not a comment on the controls, but take some Ibopropin before leaving on long rides, and stay hydrated. I had a big problem in Moab, riding in the desert for a few days didn't stay hydrated, the cushion between the disk in my back started to compress, loosing fluid, and I pinched my syndic nerve. It was bad, I could ride, but couldn't stand up straight. I kept taking Ibopropin and it helped me get through the ride over the next few days. Now, I take first thing in the am when on long rides, then again at noon, I get a drink of water every time we stop, haven't had any problems since.

Craig

towjamin

• It was worth the fight!

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 orange
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

i just got off the phone with lake shore harley and the total price shipped for the kit and steel braided brake hose (not in the kit) was $420 delivered, mine is on the way to me :orange: i have the extended kit on my 95 badboy and i love it, so i didn't think that the $420 was all that bad
DO SOMETHING,,,, even if it ain't right!

jester

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

$420, $230 less, that sounds a lot better then $650

towjamin

• It was worth the fight!

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 orange
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »

parts came in yesterday, now i can see why they are so much, they are the same heavy cast parts as the factory but moved forward 3" so when you look at them they look just like the stock parts, nice packing job too, (parts were foam packed) and i was glad to see that the brake line is steel braid and chrome like the original, so when i get a chance to put them on ill post the before and after pics if this thread is still alive! :orange:
DO SOMETHING,,,, even if it ain't right!

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »

Any have the part numbers for the HD foward controls??
That just happened

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »

Click the link in my first post of this thread. Shouild take you there.

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »

Got it tahnks much
That just happened

havoc

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »

If anyone is interested I just bought the Arlen Ness forward control kit which comes in black and found a powder coat to match the orange on the frame.  The powder was the pricey part and the labor was cheap.  I'm going to get the powder back from the guy and if anyone wants to have this done let me know. 

Here are a couple of pictures.

havoc

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »

Another

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.