Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 110 has knock in engine  (Read 9477 times)

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 110 has knock in engine
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »

Not at all to take away from the issues at hand but I had a rattle on a S&S engine that drove me crazy and it turned out to be the baffles rattling in there socket. Now I know that this is not your problem but I just wanted to throw it out in this thread. btw I forgot to mention that it sounded like it was coming from the top end of the engine.

I hope you all get your issues solved ...... eh

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »

Finally getting BLUU back tonight from the dealer with a new motor and re-built tranny. My main noise that I heard was after the engine was hot and you came to a stop in neutral the engine would make this loud clacking noise. It would not do this when it was cool but only after motor was good and hot.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Foolhardy

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »

Dealer has pulled down the top end and cams - fault apears to be the circlip coming off the end of the front camshaft allowing the cam to float - that has caused wear in the camshaft outer housing, followers, rockers and valves as the gapping was "variable".

Good news is Singapore Harley have ordered up all the parts and lent me the demo 2010 Street Glide meantime.

Will follow up with any other info which might be usefull to y'all.  Maybe I should start a thread under "Circlip" just to get attention?

BadGun

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »

Further details to ripen the story. So, we were on our way to Colorado with my new engine installed and the bike on the back of the trailer with 3 other bikes. We stopped to get diesel, and my friend noticed something on the trailer under my bike. It was a clear fluid leaking from the insertion point of the clutch line. I assumed it was hydraulic fluid, and I was correct. They did not properly install the clutch line when replacing my engine. I stopped at 2 HD dealerships on the way, and none of them could even look at to confirm my hypothesis for a minimum of 3 hours. I called the dealership that replaced the engine, and they told me the line was loose. DUH!!! They suggested I tighten it up. When I did, it stripped the threads from the transmission case. I got a parts diagram at the next HD dealership, and I saw an O ring that likely was damaged. Either that, or they crossthreaded my line. This was Friday morning. I arranged for a dealership in Colorado to overnight ship in the cover ($300) and clutch line ($100), so they could be installed on Saturday morning. When I got to the dealership on Saturday, they said the part was not in, but it was on order overnight. When I asked for a tracking number, they could not produce one. I let my friends go ahead, since the part was "on order overnight". I waited until 5PM mountain time. After the parts never arrived, they said someone must have not specified overnight delivery!?!? Are you f*&$king kidding me!?!? That is the point at which I lost control. They said the parts would be in Monday, and they would have me fixed up. Keep in mind, I had no bike, no car, and no friends...remember, I told them to go on. The dealership did not offer me a loaner. They were "nice enough" to give me a ride back to the guys house we met in Colorado. I walked about 10 miles in riding boots to get a phone charger to arrange additional plans. At this point, my blood pressure was about 210/110 and my face was red. I decided to pack it in and go home. I caught the next flight out of Denver back to Atlanta. What is the point of this story? I guess to make me feel better and vent. Several lessons I learned however,
1. Do not rush a mechanic.
2. Do not put a bike on a trailer one has not test ridden and take it 6 states away.
3. Do not let 3 friends pressure you into doing numbers 1 and 2
4. And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust anyone who does not have your parts in hand.
The total repair bill was $594 I missed a great trip!

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »

Further details to ripen the story. So, we were on our way to Colorado with my new engine installed and the bike on the back of the trailer with 3 other bikes. We stopped to get diesel, and my friend noticed something on the trailer under my bike. It was a clear fluid leaking from the insertion point of the clutch line. I assumed it was hydraulic fluid, and I was correct. They did not properly install the clutch line when replacing my engine. I stopped at 2 HD dealerships on the way, and none of them could even look at to confirm my hypothesis for a minimum of 3 hours. I called the dealership that replaced the engine, and they told me the line was loose. DUH!!! They suggested I tighten it up. When I did, it stripped the threads from the transmission case. I got a parts diagram at the next HD dealership, and I saw an O ring that likely was damaged. Either that, or they crossthreaded my line. This was Friday morning. I arranged for a dealership in Colorado to overnight ship in the cover ($300) and clutch line ($100), so they could be installed on Saturday morning. When I got to the dealership on Saturday, they said the part was not in, but it was on order overnight. When I asked for a tracking number, they could not produce one. I let my friends go ahead, since the part was "on order overnight". I waited until 5PM mountain time. After the parts never arrived, they said someone must have not specified overnight delivery!?!? Are you f*&$king kidding me!?!? That is the point at which I lost control. They said the parts would be in Monday, and they would have me fixed up. Keep in mind, I had no bike, no car, and no friends...remember, I told them to go on. The dealership did not offer me a loaner. They were "nice enough" to give me a ride back to the guys house we met in Colorado. I walked about 10 miles in riding boots to get a phone charger to arrange additional plans. At this point, my blood pressure was about 210/110 and my face was red. I decided to pack it in and go home. I caught the next flight out of Denver back to Atlanta. What is the point of this story? I guess to make me feel better and vent. Several lessons I learned however,
1. Do not rush a mechanic.
2. Do not put a bike on a trailer one has not test ridden and take it 6 states away.
3. Do not let 3 friends pressure you into doing numbers 1 and 2
4. And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust anyone who does not have your parts in hand.
The total repair bill was $594 I missed a great trip!

that sucks............

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »

WOW.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »

BadGun, Boy do I feel your pain and yes you are right Never Rush a Mech. My new bike was at the Dealer for a month and I tried to get it back sooner but the Service Manager told me over and over don't try and rush this repair because the Master Tech was meticulous about his work and he does not rush. It was a Big lesson in Patients!! I got the bike back last night and rode it 25 miles and what a huge difference it is with a New Motor and Tranny. I hope this lasts and I can stay out of the Harley Black Hole for awhile!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

My Bagg

• Ferguson, Harley Ferguson
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Red FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »

Glad there was no bloodshed! :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »

Man that sucks hind teet.... >:(

Orange Crush

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »

I also have a top end tapping/pinging noise that occurs 2500 to 3000 rpm's but only when there is a load on the bike. It started right after I had the dealer install new pipes, race tuner and dyno the bike (around 1000 miles on bike). I have taken the bike to the dealer repeatedly and they keep giving me bull sh*t answers like it’s because it’s a big engine (also used that for the oil leak out of the big air breather attach points which they have fixed 4 times and they are still leaking.) also that’s normal, we don't hear it etc.... The problem is it is getting louder and now is starting to vibrate through the bike. I live in central Florida can anyone suggest a good dealer who will actually try to find out what the problem is. By the way I have had two other shops listen to the bike and they both said there is something wrong with the engine. Unfortunately they are not authorized to do warranty work.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 12:09:28 PM »

If you find one down here let me know... :-\

Orange Crush

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:17 PM »

The baffles were the first thing I checked but thanks for the info.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »

I also have a top end tapping/pinging noise that occurs 2500 to 3000 rpm's but only when there is a load on the bike. It started right after I had the dealer install new pipes, race tuner and dyno the bike (around 1000 miles on bike). I have taken the bike to the dealer repeatedly and they keep giving me bull sh*t answers like it’s because it’s a big engine (also used that for the oil leak out of the big air breather attach points which they have fixed 4 times and they are still leaking.) also that’s normal, we don't hear it etc.... The problem is it is getting louder and now is starting to vibrate through the bike. I live in central Florida can anyone suggest a good dealer who will actually try to find out what the problem is. By the way I have had two other shops listen to the bike and they both said there is something wrong with the engine. Unfortunately they are not authorized to do warranty work.

Don't know if it will work for you or not, but I've had good success at New Port Richey Harley. I think one other had an off experience there with a battery warranty but it's worth a try.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 22 queries.