Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here's a new one  (Read 1009 times)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

Here's a new one
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »

At least I have never heard of this. I was cleaning my SE street glide this afternoon with the radio playing. I had the bags off and the front speakers were jamming with the radio on. When I put the left bag on the reception went really bad. I tried several different things to see what was happening. It seems that the reception goes bad when that left bag speaker connection is plugged in and gets worse as the bag is attached at the top. If the bag is not plugged in, attaching the bag has no effect. Wiggling the bag, wiring, antenna wire, or plug makes no change.
I rarely use the radio because the reception sucks so it would be really nice to work this out.
Any ideas??
RETIRED! :fireman:

ultrarider123

Re: Here's a new one
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »

Got one idea for you that effected my radio.  You may want to trace the antenna lead from the bottom of the antenna attachment to the primary side sidecover.  Remove the cover and check the extra antenna cable/coax.  The MoCo has an extra long cable just in case you add a detachable tour pack and want to move the antenna to that said tour pac....actually right thoughtful of them.  I was losing reception from time to time after the first few months of ownership and when I inspected my cable, it had been run wrong from the factory and my drive belt had been rubbing on the cable....rubbed a place in it to the point that the internal wire was cut.  I spliced the cable, rerouted so this wouldn't happen again, and bobs your uncle....no issues since.

May not be your problem but worth a look.  Good luck in finding the culprit of your lost reception.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:27:30 AM by Haird »

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

Re: Here's a new one
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that  tomorrow. I've never had good reception from the start though. Last ride I tried the radio for s&g's and had very good reception. When I washed the bike (radio on) I saw the left saddle bag plug off. Plugged it in and the radio went to static, front and rear.. Unplugged and the front went clear!? Other than that, I would never have found this and just "assumed" the HK reception just normally sucked. Maybe someone else with less than optimum reception might try this and see if they have similar results?
I'll post the results tomorrow PM.
RETIRED! :fireman:

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.