Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Valve guide removal Q.  (Read 6573 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Valve guide removal Q.
« on: June 22, 2023, 10:38:37 AM »

Believe the valve seals are not holding up as I'm having oil consumption.

I've been trying to find what size of v/v guide (if I need to replace them) are used  in the 07 ultra classic..is the v/v stem 5/16 or 7mm ? 

I know there was a head recall for the 07 and 08 touring but I don't know if my 07 was done I got it in 2010 and didn't know anything about the recall.
If the heads were changed would that explain the two  different guide sizes?

When I pull it down and find ill need new guides  i recall seeing something about upgrading the v/v guides with a longer guide.  if I recall that increased life spand of the guide (or something of that nature) any input on that maybe?

I've done a compression test and got 175 psi F (cold) and 165 psi R (cold)

The plugs are light gray.

So I'm hoping ive only got to replace the seals. If not what size removal and install tool would I need?  Cheers 🍻 All input appreciated

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Valve guide removal Q.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 11:29:12 AM »

No answers to any of the questions Pete (sorry about that) but after reading was curious about the oil use.  How much is going through it and when (or if) are you seeing smoke out the tailpipe?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 01:34:44 PM »

No answers to any of the questions Pete (sorry about that) but after reading was curious about the oil use.  How much is going through it and when (or if) are you seeing smoke out the tailpipe?

Thanks Don,
To start I'm going to contact HD and see if my vin comes up on record that the heads were changed on this bike. The service bulletin (not sure if it'll open)

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:7fa0a5c5-f577-3920-902c-a244f2f1e887

It used about half a litre in 750 miles. No smoke on start up, no smell of oil when stopping or sitting on idle No smoke.  I put a camra in the plug hole did notice the rear cylinder cross hatch was not as good as the front.

I'm going to have to get someone to follow me to see when it pushes blue.

I've done a fare bit of slow running  3rd,4th, and 5th. On back roads lugging may contribute to it .

I don't have or got very very little oil in the ccv can.

In a couple of days I'll do a leak down test ,.... pics of front cyl cross hatch,...second of rear cyl cross hatch , and pugs

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 01:35:31 PM »

Rear

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 01:36:13 PM »

Plugs

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 02:30:46 PM »

Got it Pete.  While it's not an absolute guides or valve guide seals will often blow smoke worst at startup or on revving the engine.

Any chance it lost the approximately half quart (I'm stuck on Imperial since school is out [where I'm otherwise stuck on metric]) in the first 750 miles right after an oil change AND it was filled to the full mark?  It's not uncommon for these engines to have a "happy place" that's about a half quart low.  In any case the leak down test will tell you more.  That is the far more actionable information so good luck on finding something to guide what you'll need to do.  :2vrolijk_21:

vetteman170

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 07:44:49 AM »

Valve seals are the problem,had same issue on a 2005 TC

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 12:20:12 PM »

Leak Down Tester arrived today.

Tested the front and rear cylinders three times.  Each test reading held at 10% leak down and no higher on each test. The test was done with the motor cold.

I tend to agree with ,Vetteman,  it's looking like v/v seals.

Next thing is to remove the heads.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »

I would enjoy what is left of my riding season if I were you.  Monitor the oil level and if you decide to do the guides and seals wait for the winter.  I am thinking in your location it isn't that far off.  A couple of months Maybe?  It will also give you a chence to see if it is the "happy level" situation.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 04:21:09 PM »

If you have never replaced guides before, be careful. It's NOT a job for the inexperienced. You can do MAJOR damage removing, and also installing valve guides. . Longer guides?  ::)  Never heard of doing such a thing. Also, the MoCo black 5/16" viton seals, (18067-08) are the best in the business, and are the standard seals on the CVO engines.
If your bike is NOT a CVO, you have valves with 7 mm stems. They use "hat style" seals, which act as the valve spring seat also. Orange or teal color seals are the seals to use as replacements on them.
John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 04:29:08 PM by johnsachs »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 06:36:28 PM »

If you have never replaced guides before, be careful. It's NOT a job for the inexperienced. You can do MAJOR damage removing, and also installing valve guides. . Longer guides?  ::)  Never heard of doing such a thing. Also, the MoCo black 5/16" viton seals, (18067-08) are the best in the business, and are the standard seals on the CVO engines.
If your bike is NOT a CVO, you have valves with 7 mm stems. They use "hat style" seals, which act as the valve spring seat also. Orange or teal color seals are the seals to use as replacements on them.
John

Thanks John,  it is a CVO 2007 Ultra classic.  This link is the 2008 upgrade for all CVO valve guides (longer)

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:08d34a43-9a05-3375-abdf-c9833784517f

In the pic are the seals I've got not sure about the little metal ones.

I plan on getting this oil issue sorted out ASAP . I'm planning on riding up country to Scotland (don't want oil concerns on my mind)

Once the heads are off I'll know if the guides need attention.  I've spoken to a fella has a HD head rebuild shop he charges 120. 00 per head overhaul.
May not need guides then I'll do the seals.
According to the leak down test valves and rings are within limits.   Cheers 🍻

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 01:13:29 PM »

Hi Pete,
How you doing, just a note of caution, Twin cams specifically  07`s on-wards, can have an issue of carbonizing , even to the point of crumbling, of the exhaust valve guides, do to the lean running conditions and high temps, had mine changed out for bronze guides, just a thought, ride safe mate.
WHUFC   COYI

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 04:38:41 PM »

Your picture of the seal on the right, is a standard seal for 7 mm equipped valves used on the later Harley Davidson standard NON-CVO heads. They WON'T work on CVO guides.  The part # I listed, 18067-08 is for  CVO  heads with 5/16" valve stems, and stock factory CVO valve guides. Your picture on the left is also for a 5/16" valve, with .420" guide tops. NO WHERE as good as the part # I listed, and won't fit a CVO guide top. It's offered also, with a .530" guide top, for heads so equipped.
John
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 04:51:09 PM by johnsachs »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 07:32:45 PM »

Hi Pete,
How you doing, just a note of caution, Twin cams specifically  07`s on-wards, can have an issue of carbonizing , even to the point of crumbling, of the exhaust valve guides, do to the lean running conditions and high temps, had mine changed out for bronze guides, just a thought, ride safe mate.

Hi Mark,  got no complaints other then this issue,  hope things are good at your end.
On Saturday I rode an 1 hour and a half  to the fella I'm taking the heads too, he's Alex at (Fast Lane Head Works) Lincolnshire, He's a one man show and he's  got a nice setup. We had a good chat and he said he'll be using bronze guides in the heads.

I stumbled across a Service Bulletin covering the replacement of 07 and 08 CVO heads. I'll be checking tomorrow with HD to see if there's any record of mine being done in the first 6k of me owning the bike. I do know that this  motor has been handled within its first 6k miles
Link of the Bulletin,...   may have already posted

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:c3ce555b-9c7e-3599-a1ad-8889873eeffa
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 08:00:05 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2023, 07:54:30 PM »

Your picture of the seal on the right, is a standard seal for 7 mm equipped valves used on the later Harley Davidson standard NON-CVO heads. They WON'T work on CVO guides.  The part # I listed, 18067-08 is for  CVO  heads with 5/16" valve stems, and stock factory CVO valve guides. Your picture on the left is also for a 5/16" valve, with .420" guide tops. NO WHERE as good as the part # I listed, and won't fit a CVO guide top. It's offered also, with a .530" guide top, for heads so equipped.
John

Thanks John,  I showed the fella I'm having do the heads and he said exactly what you have said.  Those seals came in a gasket kit labelled for a  07 ultra CVO .   
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.