Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Lane splitting in California  (Read 7590 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Lane splitting in California
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »

Lane-Splitting In California Took One Step Closer To Being (Officially) Legal
California's getting a law on the books could pave the way for lane-splitting in other states
By Sean MacDonald  Posted Yesterday at 7:08am

AB51
Cycle World
Is there a better state to ride a motorcycle in?
California Assembly Bill 51 (AB51) passed the California State Senate Transportation Committee with an 11-0 vote, which brings lane-splitting one step closer to being officially legal.
Lane-splitting is already legal in The Golden State, because it has not been determined to be illegal. Unfortunately, many people (especially drivers) don't know it's legal, which made even more ambiguous in 2014 when the California Highway Patrol who removed their lane-splitting guidelines after confusion amongst the public of the difference between "best practice guidelines" and "laws that can be enforced."
AB 51 would allow motorcyclists to split lanes, but only under 50 miles per hour, and no more than 15 miles per hour faster than surrounding traffic. The bill has had it's own issues, even in making it this far, and it was tabled last July for the year. Many motorcycle groups actually oppose the bill, because they feel it's too restrictive and actually a step backwards (there were initially several other stipulations that complicated things, and people believe the speed limit should be the same as the road being traveled on). I'm sure some of you will say we're splitting hairs or should be happy, but this UC Berkeley study on lane-splitting showed no meaningful increase in accidents over 50 mph, and that the only meaningful number was the speed delta (difference in speed between the cars and bike).
After passing the Senate Transportation Committee, the bill will go to the Appropriations Committee to determine its financial effect before heading to the Senate floor for a vote. Should it pass that, it would move to the Assembly for a final vote.

Many of you don't live in California, and might think this that should preclude you from caring. But, with Washington and Oregon both failing to get pro lane-splitting laws on the books recently, California setting precedent could be a huge step for other states to follow suit.
For more information, check out http://lanesplittingislegal.com/ or the California Legislative Information page on AB51. If you're interested in further analysis, Jensen over at Asphalt & Rubber follows all things lane-splitting super closely, and provides some great analysis (1, 2). Because he's a lawyer and a nerd like that.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Lane splitting in California
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 02:44:31 AM »

It sometimes seems the Oregon legislators can't go out on a limb unless it's been blessed by the California assembly, so maybe they will take another look at splitting if AB 51 passes.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:52:45 AM »

I'm a truck driver and I'm in California every third week. In the last 8 years I've seen enough accidents and close calls to know that lane splitting is a bad idea. The only time I would do it is maybe if traffic was completely stopped. California cares more about a bird or a tree than they do your life. Just plain stupid.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:55:37 AM »

I have to agree with Big Chuck.  While I'm not personally familiar with riding in California, I seriously doubt the drivers there are any more attentive or less inclined to road rage than any other part of the country.  I most certainly would not attempt any sort of lane splitting in Indiana or Illinois where I spend most of my time.  I get nervous just riding down a four lane highway completely in my own lane when I'm next to todays clueless drivers.  When people can't stay focused on the actual road and driving long enough to keep their cars and trucks inside the lines of their own lanes, I don't want to be within eight feet of them, much less brushing my handlebars up against the side of their vehicle.  I'm not in that big a hurry, and when you get to be my age you don't heal that quickly any more.  As far as I'm concerned, this is one of many trends started in California that I wish would just stay in California.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »

What should be done is add a designated motorcycle lane. Far left side.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »

While I didn't practice splitting at speed, when I visited CA on a bike, it was nice to filter forward at lights or stalled traffic.  It's nice to have a way to get away from the congestion that lights and traffic standstills create.  I couldn't see myself doing it at speed, though.

I would like to be able to filter here in Iowa, even.  For as few people as we have, they seem to like to sit together on the road and not allow a free flow pattern, especially around lights.
Big Lew
IBA #595

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »

It sometimes seems the Oregon legislators can't go out on a limb unless it's been blessed by the California assembly, so maybe they will take another look at splitting if AB 51 passes.

Woaaaaa.....back up there.  You can go down and buy your recreational pot.  Here in Calif. we still have to go get a medical card.  Calif. is definately behind Ore.  :P

Seriously......interesting views here. 

I'll share my observations...as somebody that's 65 yrs. old and been riding since I was 16 (Honda Scrambler) so lane splitting has always been a way of life.  I only know of a couple accidents that were a result of lane splitting and have never actually saw one. 

In large metro areas (bay area, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento) it's impossible to stay in the lane of traffic with an air cooled motor due to six lanes being stopped or moving at 5 mph for two hours.  A lot of people do not know that the Central Valley of Calif. runs from Redding all the way down to Bakersfield (approx. 400 miles) is in triple digit temps for weeks at a time, every summer.  You don't want to sit iddling in that kind of traffic for even 20 minutes, on an air cooled motorcycle without getting air flowing across the fins.

Another observation....there have been a number of members of this forum that have came to Cali and rode with us and while they're all nervous at first about lane splitting, once they see what the traffic situation really is, they do it and afterward it seems their views/opinions have changed. 

The safest lane to lane split is next to the fast lane and motorcyclists know that.  There will be other motorcyclists lane splitting at the same time and generally, once the first bike goes through and people look in their mirrors, the vehicles on the left will move to the far left of the fast lane and people on the right will mover to the far right.....opening up a wider space for lane splitting.  This is not absolute....you still have to keep an eye out for those that are to busy texting to realize that they're sitting right on top of the traffic line and if it weren't for the people on the left moving all the way over we'd not be able to get by.  Once in awhile we do have to stop until the traffic starts to move again or the  person finally realizes you're there and they move over.

Also, when I'm riding across the country, there's been a number of times that I forget lane splitting is not legal in other states and out of habit I go to the front of the line at stop lights, etc.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 02:02:37 PM »

It is much more dangerous to ride through an intersection than split lanes.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »

What should be done is add a designated motorcycle lane. Far left side.

With that one I disagree.  For reasons of both practice and policy.

In practice if you move a lane to the left of the HOV lane or to the left of what is already an existing left lane it'll become a passing lane for those existing lanes.  Even if it's narrowed ostensibly for bike traffic only my fear is it would still become a lane with other vehicles regularly popping in and out when they see it not heavily used.  And it wouldn't be heavily populated as there's just not that much bike traffic.

Even more importantly, however, I think it's a bad policy idea.  As riders we really are the few.  We operate on a system designed for cars and trucks.  Things bigger than we are.  So we've actually got room.  We get to use that system and that room without any special attention being paid to us.  That's a good thing.  The last thing you want as a minority user of public services is a legislature paying you extra attention.  So what we want is for legislatures and administrative agencies to just leave us be. 

If they make a system safe for cars and trucks we can live on that system just fine.  But if we do things that stir the pot in some way and asks or forces legislative or administrative actions (especially expensive actions like an extra traffic lane) that are primarily or solely for "us" we start down a path that does us more harm than good.  Because if they watch us for one thing they will watch us for many more.  The follow-ons to that are more rules/guidelines/taxes/fees/enforcement.

So, with all proper citations to the "The Wild Angels" paraphrase,  we really are better off without a lot of undue, extra or special attention.  Just let us use the system, to ride our machines without being hassled or inordinately "assisted" by the man.  It's that kind of extra assistance that ends up biting you in the ass later.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »

...........  You don't want to sit idling in that kind of traffic for even 20 minutes, on an air cooled motorcycle without getting air flowing across the fins.

The safest lane to lane split is next to the fast lane and motorcyclists know that.  There will be other motorcyclists lane splitting at the same time and generally, once the first bike goes through and people look in their mirrors, the vehicles on the left will move to the far left of the fast lane and people on the right will mover to the far right.....opening up a wider space for lane splitting.  This is not absolute....you still have to keep an eye out for those that are to busy texting to realize that they're sitting right on top of the traffic line and if it weren't for the people on the left moving all the way over we'd not be able to get by.  Once in awhile we do have to stop until the traffic starts to move again or the  person finally realizes you're there and they move over.
X2. On a recent road trip in "LoCal" with temps near 100 we found ourselves in traffic so heavy our bodies were slow cooking. The air-conditioned cages all around us were throwing off even more heat (global warming .........hmmmmm) and though my BSR wife protested our of fear, I began controlled lane-splitting to keep air moving over our bodies to avoid fainting from the heat. While most folks were accommodating ........there were a few clueless a**holes who saw us coming in their side mirrors and tried to squeeze the lane ::)! It will be a good thing for this bill to pass and be published in the news.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 05:32:58 PM »

Woaaaaa.....back up there.  You can go down and buy your recreational pot.  Here in Calif. we still have to go get a medical card.  Calif. is definately behind Ore.  :P
What???  Pot isn't legal in CA?  The epicenter of all things pot related?  Since when???   ;D  J/K, but Oregon does follow CA on many things, such as energy efficient appliances, etc.

So there are two laws where OR doesn't follow CA: the pot law and the concealed carry law (it's SHALL issue in OR if the person meets the very reasonable requirements).

Sorry, back to the lane splitting:  I've found the situation in CA to be just as JCZ described.  It was very similar even back in the 1980s--if you were splitting slowly, most people would comply, some wouldn't even notice as you went by, and there's always the risk of someone changing lanes without looking (or seeing) you.  As riders, it's always up to us to choose, and manage, our risks.  This is one I'll take in 90 degree weather with an air-cooled engine (and rider) and a slow-rolling barricade.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

You have a greater risk of being rear ended in traffic than getting sideswiped by a car heading in the same direction as you. In all my years in my car and on my bike I have never been clipped or sideswiped. I have been rear ended multiple times. I would venture to say that the same applies to many here. I'm not saying you will NEVER get clipped or sideswiped, but chances are you'll get rear ended in either your cage or on your bike first. Getting rear ended at 35mph and sandwiched between the car in front of you in your cage is bad enough. On your bike,.....
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »

Just got this from Rider Magazine.  The last paragraph is very surprising....all the cooperation from LEO, motorcycle rights organizations and the legislature....

Bill to Allow Lane Splitting in California Moves Closer to a Vote

Mark Tuttle
June 24, 2016

Lane SplittingCalifornia Assembly Bill 51, sponsored by Assembly member Bill Quirk (D-Hayward) was passed by the Senate Transportation Committee with full support last Tuesday, June 14. The bill defines lane splitting and makes it clear that the California Highway Patrol has the authority to draft educational guidelines for safe lane splitting. Not technically legal or illegal in California, lane splitting is considered an acceptable practice by law enforcement like the CHP, which published guidelines for it last year, only to have an irate resident complain that the CHP shouldn’t be setting public policy.
From the Transportation Committee, the bill will go to the Appropriations Committee to determine its financial effect. If approved there it will go to the Senate floor for a vote, and if passed there will move on to the full Assembly for a final vote.

AB51 defines lane splitting as “driving a motorcycle, that has 2 wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, as specified.” It goes on to state that, “The bill would authorize the Department of the California Highway Patrol to develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting in a manner that would ensure the safety of the motorcyclist, drivers, and passengers, as specified. The bill would require the department, in developing these guidelines, to consult with specified agencies and organizations with an interest in road safety and motorcyclist behavior.”

An earlier version of AB 51 was put to a vote last year, but it’s author decided to hold it at the Transportation Committee level because several special interest groups had concerns about language in the bill that set speed limits for the motorcycle while lane splitting.

The revised bill has the support of more than a dozen organizations, including the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Association, and several law enforcement agencies. If passed, AB 51 would presumably allow the CHP to publish the guidelines once again in either their present or a revised form, effectively making lane splitting legal in California. You can read the current guidelines here. And you can find contact information for your California legislators here.

West Coast GTG   

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »

It is much more dangerous to ride through an intersection than split lanes.

I'd like to see the data that backs that statement. Everyone goes through intersections and very few split lanes.

And before anyone starts quoting CHP studies this is the same state that insists on having different speed limits for cars and trucks even though numerous national studies prove that having one speed limit for all vehicles is the safest. Never assume a law is on the books to keep you safe.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:28:28 AM by bigchuck »
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 12:17:37 AM »

As for getting rear-ended in traffic. You always leave enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you to get out of the way if necessary and keep an eye on your mirrors. That's motorcycling 101.
For me lane splitting is fine if traffic is stopped or nearly stopped. I question the wisdom of doing it at 60mph when traffic is doing 35-40mph.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 01:49:48 AM »

Big Chuck,

At police motor-school they taught us that intersections are Kill Zones. The reason for the high threat level is on coming and cross traffic. At an intersection there is traffic coming at you, from both sides, and from behind. On a freeway, EVERYBODY is travelling in the SAME DIRECTION, and about the same speed. The number one cause of accidents is someone turning across your path. And that is most likely to happen at an intersection. The number one killer of Motor cops, (who ride more miles on both the freeway and the surface streets than most of us), is not high speed pursuit, not a gun fight, it's an intersection. Someone turns in front of them, or runs a red light. And they are on high profile Black and While patrol bikes that are made to be seen. I won't quote a statistic, but instead ask a question. Who here has been in an accident at an intersection. or known someone who has been in an accident at an intersection? Car or bike, it doesn't matter. I'll raise my hand and bet quite a few others will too. Followed by the question, who here has been sideswiped or clipped? Once again, car or bike, it doesn't matter. Not too many I think. Still not sure, go ask a motor cop which is more dangerous, riding a freeway, or going through an intersection.

I agree, motorcycling 101, keep enough distance, and an escape route. Now lets take those safety measures and increase them by removing ourselves from that space between cars altogether. Here in California traffic can go from 70mph to 15 and crawling in a matter of yards. A motorcycle that is already between lanes lowers their risk of getting hit from behind. They are already pre-positioned in the escape route.

Like ALL things motorcycle related, there are wise and proper ways to do things, and unwise and improper. If traffic is moving at 45-50 and above, speaking only for myself there is no need to lane filter, or split as it's often called. I would not, like some others, blast down that line at 75mph. In my opinion that is neither wise nor prudent. If traffic slows to a crawl, yes, I'll filter and split lanes at a reasonable speed. And I don't linger in traffic matching my speed to that of the cars around me. I travel faster, making it a point to pass cars as I filter through. I don't blow by them, but I do filter through at a faster speed.

Lastly, I do not force my luck. Most California drivers are courteous and actually scoot over a bit to let you ride by. It's nice when they do. However, if they do not, I do not force my luck. I wait. Sure enough, eventually a space will open up and allow me to filter through.

Like most California riders, I do not see lane filtering as a special privileged. I see it for what we have known it to be called, lane sharing. We're not running Code-3 lights and siren, we're not special, we are just sharing the lanes and filtering through.

I'd like to hear from other California members.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 04:20:42 AM »

On a trip to the wrong coast, my son and stayed in Portland on our northern leg bake to dealer in Seattle. Rented California bikes run like crap by the way......anyways we got in the morning rush, and when his bike went into limp we started splitting and I loved it. Wish the other states would remove their head from their rectal cavity. And BTW, Ironhorse was right, 98% of the cages were very cooperative, probably guessing high on that, but most for sure!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:23:25 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »

I;ve got a friend who Split's Double-rig Simi's who are side by side in a sweeper. He pops out between the cabs at about 95mph. He tells me you have to go into it when the rear trailers are tight in order for the front trailer to be wide.  Iron horse (mark) had ride like a Pro  classes.  My friend can teach his Class and calls" it Ride like a dick"   Couldn't believe it when I saw him going for. 1st time was on 152 headed to HY-5
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »

As for getting rear-ended in traffic. You always leave enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you to get out of the way if necessary and keep an eye on your mirrors. That's motorcycling 101.
For me lane splitting is fine if traffic is stopped or nearly stopped. I question the wisdom of doing it at 60mph when traffic is doing 35-40mph.

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to be a funny comment but for those of us that have been riding the California freeways for all of our life....well when you have cars on either side of you, stopped, there is not "enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you to get out of the way".  That works in states where they don't have the traffic that we have but that doesn't work here.  Your safest bet is to keep moving when everybody else is stopped.  That's motorcycling 101!  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »

Ironhorse, First of all thank you for your service as a police officer. I agree that intersections are more deadly. And done properly lane splitting /filtering has its place. The problem comes when motorcyclists and motorists don't use their heads. If lane splitting is going to be allowed a law needs to be put in place and the public educated. Then you will only have to worry about the millions of visitors that come to California every year. I have to wonder why lane splitting is tolerated in one state and I believe legal in none. The Berkeley survey that helped them come to the conclusion that lane splitting is safe says that 7% have been involved in accidents and 20% in near accidents in the previous year. That's a 27% chance I won't be taking. I respect your experience and opinion. As a truck driver I have a better view than most and I believe that close to half of all motorists are distracted in some way most often is phone /text and I try not to rely on them to help keep me safe.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to be a funny comment but for those of us that have been riding the California freeways for all of our life....well when you have cars on either side of you, stopped, there is not "enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you to get out of the way".  That works in states where they don't have the traffic that we have but that doesn't work here.  Your safest bet is to keep moving when everybody else is stopped.  That's motorcycling 101!  :2vrolijk_21:
I think it may be hard for people outside of CA to understand the whole lane splitting deal here. No doubt there are guys roaring between lanes at 50 MPH when traffic is at 5MPH but what this proposed law (and I believe what JC is taking about) is about is staying at a reasonable speed only when traffic is congested. Most people that live in CA and ride will agree with these studies that have been coming out that though it definitely takes concentration, it is much safer than stop and go staying in a lane. I live about 40 miles from my work and probably 3 times a week I see a car that has rear ended another though usually at slow speeds. On a bike, that slow speed rear end can be deadly. There are definitely times for me when I feel to lazy to split lanes as its just easier to stay in my lane when it is not hot out but then I hear tires squeal and get mad at myself for putting myself at risk.
Alan

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »

but then I hear tires squeal

Yup!

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »

With that one I disagree.  For reasons of both practice and policy.

In practice if you move a lane to the left of the HOV lane or to the left of what is already an existing left lane it'll become a passing lane for those existing lanes.  Even if it's narrowed ostensibly for bike traffic only my fear is it would still become a lane with other vehicles regularly popping in and out when they see it not heavily used.  And it wouldn't be heavily populated as there's just not that much bike traffic.

Even more importantly, however, I think it's a bad policy idea.  As riders we really are the few.  We operate on a system designed for cars and trucks.  Things bigger than we are.  So we've actually got room.  We get to use that system and that room without any special attention being paid to us.  That's a good thing.  The last thing you want as a minority user of public services is a legislature paying you extra attention.  So what we want is for legislatures and administrative agencies to just leave us be. 

If they make a system safe for cars and trucks we can live on that system just fine.  But if we do things that stir the pot in some way and asks or forces legislative or administrative actions (especially expensive actions like an extra traffic lane) that are primarily or solely for "us" we start down a path that does us more harm than good.  Because if they watch us for one thing they will watch us for many more.  The follow-ons to that are more rules/guidelines/taxes/fees/enforcement.

So, with all proper citations to the "The Wild Angels" paraphrase,  we really are better off without a lot of undue, extra or special attention.  Just let us use the system, to ride our machines without being hassled or inordinately "assisted" by the man.  It's that kind of extra assistance that ends up biting you in the ass later.
dang, twolane i think you head the nail square on the head. outa sight outa mind!  8)

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »

I very rarely split lanes but when I do it is when I decide it's safer to do that than just sit there. And I'll do that in any state I need to.

Splitting lanes is something everyone should know how to do. Doing it is another story, but it is a viable option to  get out of trouble if needed and having to do it for the first time under duress isn't a great idea.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »

Here's the end result. No one is being forced to split lanes. I have passed many a rider just sitting in LA Traffic and that's okay with me. If they are more comfortable just idling away in slow and no-go traffic, good for them. When I moved to LA back in the mid 80's I thought lane splitting was nuts. But I learned, adjusted, and made my own decisions and choices.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »

Moving to the front at the light is practiced and have been involved before on Nor Cal rides but cages seem to think we are taking cuts. I don't do this by myself but I have done the lane splitting and just a few miles over the slow speed or stopped traffic. I did however ride about 5-6 miles in the bicycle lane as well after sitting for 45 mins on one of our day rides in So Cal just to get out of there. We didn't know it was FREE TUESDAY AT THE FAIR.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »

Moving to the front at the light is practiced and have been involved before on Nor Cal rides but cages seem to think we are taking cuts. I don't do this by myself but I have done the lane splitting and just a few miles over the slow speed or stopped traffic. I did however ride about 5-6 miles in the bicycle lane as well after sitting for 45 mins on one of our day rides in So Cal just to get out of there. We didn't know it was FREE TUESDAY AT THE FAIR.

LOL, you should see what the motorcycles do in India. Typically 10 to 12 rush up to the red light and push the two cars out of their way.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

That is crazy. They prolly hate mopeds there. :huepfenlol2:

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »

I am a flatlander from Kansas. When we went to Ontario, Ca to join the Run For The Wall, Jim wanted to go see the ocean and get some sand for his girlfriend.
I am the gullible kind and I agreed to go with him after counseling him on California traffic.
The run to Huntington Beach was not too bad, just a few slow places, but the run back was something else. I had never split lanes, but had read about it and knew some of the (unwritten) rules. After sitting in one place several times and watching other bikes pass through, I explained to Jim what little I knew about it. As the bikes got warmer and warmer, I looked over at Jim and said "I'm willing if you are". We eased over to the HOV lane and watched several bikes (including several baggers) go by and then eased into the gap. I was amazed that most of the cages would move over in their lane to give us a little more room, but when the traffic began to move around 20-25 mph they were not as willing to let us through.
We made it back fine and Jim (retired police captain) commented that he had arrested people in Kansas for the same thing!
He also said "A true friend will do something stupid just to keep you company".
We survived, and added another experience to our repertoire.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »

Now that was an entertaining story.....and you lived to tell it!  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »

OUCH!!  Have I apologized for that recently?  If not, I REALLY AM sorry.  :)
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »

No apology needed Jimmy. I did notice a few followed me. My motor got so hot I was having trouble  restarting it. And then it blew up about 60 miles from home on Father's day Sunday. The interesting part was sitting on the side of I-5 watching all the bikes go by acting like they didn't see us. The tow truck driver was in a hurry to get home as he drove 85 all the way. :huepfenjump3:

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »

I've seen many posts on lane splitting and come to the conclusion that those who have never done it just don't get it.  Lane splitting is a skill and Californians are used to doing it ever day.  I don't know a single rider in California who doesn't do it, although I'm sure they exist.  The bottom line is to use good judgement and remember that empty space can suddenly be occupied by a vehicle at any given moment.  I haven't seen a single study that shows lane splitting is more dangerous than sitting in traffic.  It only becomes more dangerous when the rider lacks the judgement and skills to do it safely.  Just my .02 cents.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 21 queries.