Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Lane splitting in California  (Read 7591 times)

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Lane splitting in California
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »

Moving to the front at the light is practiced and have been involved before on Nor Cal rides but cages seem to think we are taking cuts. I don't do this by myself but I have done the lane splitting and just a few miles over the slow speed or stopped traffic. I did however ride about 5-6 miles in the bicycle lane as well after sitting for 45 mins on one of our day rides in So Cal just to get out of there. We didn't know it was FREE TUESDAY AT THE FAIR.

OUCH!!  Have I apologized for that recently?  If not, I REALLY AM sorry.  :)
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »

No apology needed Jimmy. I did notice a few followed me. My motor got so hot I was having trouble  restarting it. And then it blew up about 60 miles from home on Father's day Sunday. The interesting part was sitting on the side of I-5 watching all the bikes go by acting like they didn't see us. The tow truck driver was in a hurry to get home as he drove 85 all the way. :huepfenjump3:

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »

I've seen many posts on lane splitting and come to the conclusion that those who have never done it just don't get it.  Lane splitting is a skill and Californians are used to doing it ever day.  I don't know a single rider in California who doesn't do it, although I'm sure they exist.  The bottom line is to use good judgement and remember that empty space can suddenly be occupied by a vehicle at any given moment.  I haven't seen a single study that shows lane splitting is more dangerous than sitting in traffic.  It only becomes more dangerous when the rider lacks the judgement and skills to do it safely.  Just my .02 cents.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.