Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Indian Motorcycle Grand Opening  (Read 7463 times)

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
Indian Motorcycle Grand Opening
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »

Thought some of you guys might be interested in this.

Muley

OCT 4 - INDIAN MOTORCYCLE CHARLOTTE GRAND OPENING CELEBRATION - I-85 at Exit 22 Lowell, NC. 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. The day-long celebration begins with factory tours at Kings Mountain beginning at 11:00 a.m. and continuing until 5:00 p.m. Motorcyclists touring the factory at 11:00 a.m. are encouraged to join a back road ride to Indian Motorcycle Charlotte beginning at 12:30 p.m. Festivities at the dealership begin at 1:00 p.m. with live music, food and refreshments, with beverage sales to benefit the Gaston County Shrine Club. Info call Mark A. Moses, Owner & General Manager 704 879-4560 or send e-mail to Mark@IndianMotorcycleCharlotte.com

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Indian Motorcycle Grand Opening
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »

To be honest I thought Indian had gone bust...or is this something like a museum?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:48:21 PM »

To be honest I thought Indian had gone bust...or is this something like a museum?

I believe it is yet another ownership group and another attempt at resurrection...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:50:44 PM »

I believe it is yet another ownership group and another attempt at resurrection...

That's exactly what it is.  After several years of history buffs getting involved there is a serious effort to resurrect the brand.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »

That's exactly what it is.  After several years of history buffs getting involved there is a serious effort to resurrect the brand.

The Grand Opening of Indian Motorcycle's Charlotte Dealership is indeed this weekend. The Dealership is in Gastonia off exit 22 on I85. The Factory tours begin at 11 am. The Factory is at exit 2 off I85. Coming from Charlotte, take the exit and make a right. The entrance is on the left, you can't miss it. I will be there early Saturday morning. Chip & Nancy are hoping to make it as well. The party begins at the Dealership at 1 pm and a "State of Indian Address" by company owner Stephen Julius is at 2pm.

I rode one of the new Vintage's about three weeks ago. All I can say is "WOW". If anyone needs more info, PM me.

AJ

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:38 PM »

here we go again...........
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »

Back to the future ...again? :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »

Hope they make a 4 cylinder handy shift...doubt it though huh?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »

It is an investors group from England that resurrected Chris Craft boats a few years ago.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:28:59 PM »

It is an investors group from England that resurrected Chris Craft boats a few years ago.
I wounder if Indians bought the factory (from Hyderabad).
 :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »

The name of the company is The Stellican Group. They are the same people that bought and resurrected Chris Craft and formerly  owned Riva Motor Yachts. Chris Craft is now located in Kings Mountain, NC about 12 miles from the Indian Factory.

I wounder if Indians bought the factory (from Hyderabad).

The building was a former International Paper warehouse and is located on 11 acres for ample growth.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »

Hope they make a 4 cylinder handy shift...doubt it though huh?

This might answer your question Mike. It a copy from an article in Cycle News:

"Indian. The magic of the name remains as strong as ever as America's other great iconic motorcycle brand founded 107 years ago - two years before Harley-Davidson. But successive steps down the comeback trail ever since the historic Massachusetts-based company went bust the first time around half a century ago, have all ended in disaster - none more so than the late-2003 collapse of the Gilroy, California-based Indian Motorcycle Co. that in the previous four years had established itself in the marketplace with a range of well-received V-twins built by its 380-strong workforce after winning the 1999 federal court case that resolved the contentious issue of who exactly owned the rights to the historic Indian trademark.

Now the task to set Indian straight is beginning all over, with the launch in August at this year'Sturgis Bikefest of the born-again Indian Motorcycle Co. - an entirely new entity headquartered in Kings Mountain, North Carolina. with no corporate connections to the previous company beyond the undisputed rights to full use of the name. But this time around, there's a sense this may be different - for while the man behind this forthcoming revival is an unlikely person to be masterminding the relaunch of such an historic American two-wheeled brand, the fact is that 48-year-old self-styled investor and entrepreneur Stephen Julius has a proven track record of successfully turning around other heritage brands that have gone belly-up.

Unlikely? Well, for a start, Julias isn't American, but British - actually, half-Italian, since his mother comes from Milan, and her mother from Bologna, heartland of the Italian motorcycle industry. And rather than New York, his private equity investment vehicle Stellican Ltd.. which wholly owns Indian, is based in London. An Oxford [University] Classics graduate, Julius swapped poring over Latin and Greek texts for scrutinizing balance sheets, acquiring the skills and resources to launch a succession of corporate comebacks in company with his partner, Steve Heese, a fellow class of 88 graduate of the Harvard Business School, headlined by his 1995 acquisition of straggling Italian luxury-boat manufacturer Riva.

Having turned this around and sold it, Julius bet on doing the same thing again with an equally iconic transatlantic boat brand, Chris-Craft, which he bought in 2001 and still owns, reaping the profits and acclaim of a textbook turnaround. To find out how he plans to do the same with Indian, we visited Julius at his South Kensington townhouse in the heart of London.

How have you become involved with relaunching Indian?

I'm always looking for interesting opportunities to enhance my ownership of Chris-Craft boats in the USA. Indian caught my interest because there are huge similarities with Chris-Craft in many ways. I acquired Chris-Craft in March 2001, when the company was part of Outboard Marine Group, which went into Chapter II bankruptcy in December 2007. It included Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors — in fact six boat brands, of which Chris-Craft was one. It was bit more complicated than that, though, because Outboard Marine Group owned the company, but didn't own the trademark — they were only a licensee of the name, which was owned by Rupert Murdoch of News Corp. I was lucky because not only was I able to buy the company, but in a separate negotiation with Murdoch I bought the trademark, and was able to reunite the company with the brand name after 35 years of separation.

So I have a particular interest in heritage brands, and a speciality in both bankruptcy and in deals involving trademarks, and Indian was exactly that. It had a long and complicated history of trademarks, trademark litigation, trademark failure and so on; so, for me, it was an area that I felt very comfortable with. And it especially has a great name with substantial heritage."

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:31:18 PM »

"Were you involved with Indian at all when it was at Gilroy from 1999 to 2003?

No, I purchased all of the intellectual property assets in July 2004 from the credit managers representing the owners of the company. They sold alI the assets to us, and, with the proceeds, repaid the creditors.

Did you acquire any of the Gilroy hardware?

Yes, we bought whatever tooling they had available and all of the engineering drawings, all their computers, as well as container loads of documents. Fundamentally, we bought all the intellectual property and trademarks. So I started with a clean slate.

Having now become the owner of such a historic marque, did you then have to educate yourself in the motorcycle industry?

I inherited a Lambretta scooter from my grandfather, and then I bought a 125 Vespa. Until four years ago, these were the only bikes I'd ever owned, and so I got a U.S. motorcycle license, read my history books, went to rallies, and learned how to ride a proper bike.

Dare I ask if you own a Harley-Davidson?

No. I don't, but I have several Indians!

How did you get from there to here, on the verge of relaunching Indian again?

I spent two years developing a business plan — two years addressing major strategic issues. This is a business where a lot of people have lost a lot of money, a business which is very technology intensive, and very capital intensive. So I wanted to do things very slowly and very carefully. After two years, I felt comfortable with the plan. And in July 2006, I bought a plant in North Carolina, in Kings Mountain, which is about 40 minutes west of Charlotte, en route to Spartanburg, South Carolina, the American home of BMW. It's a good state — very supportive of our plan to set up Indian there. At the same time, we set up another plant for Chris-Craft — a much bigger plant just 10 minutes from the Indian factory. There were lots of good reasons to be in the area — the state is the home of NASCAR, and the Southeast USA is the growing center for the motor industry. We were thrilled to have the plant there, so having bought it, it was then important to put a good team together to develop the company, and its products.

There aren't many places you can find motorcycle engineers around the world — it tends to be a very concentrated industry, unlike the boat business which is very fragmented and where the barriers are fairly low. With what it costs to develop a single motorcycle, I could probably develop about 50 boats from scratch — so it was essential that we got a really good head of engineering. My total obsession from the beginning has been that this would be a company based on engineering talent, on strong product, as it was clear from the previous Indian company that where they had gone wrong was in not focusing on solid engineering. We decided that the main people we were going to hire would be engineers, and that̓s what we've done, with a minimum of back-office staff.

A lot of people have wondered what we were doing, because we haven't spoken at all to the press until now, with you — but we felt we didn't want to say anything until we had the right product, an opposed to lots of hype. This is a private-equity venture, and we're a small team — there's myself and another outside minority investor and the managers involved. What really matters is the product. Does the product do justice to the brand? Does the product meet the promise of the brand? This is the issue, not the PR hype. What matters is, is it a beautiful bike, a performing bike and are we supporting the customer with good after-sales service? That's what counts.

Who have you hired to achieve that?

We have Stephen Heese, who is my minority partner in the USA. He̓s been my business partner and friend for many years, and is the president of my company and also the president of Chris-Craft. Our general manager is a man called Chris Bernauer, who was with Harley-Davidson for 11 years, and was the platform director for the Sportster. As vice president of engineering, we also have Nick Glaja, who's Romanian, and was the principal powertrain engineer for Harley and, before that, the vice president of engineering for Victory, so he has tremendous experience and is highly talented. We now have 35 employees, and about 25 of those are engineers.

How were your new Indian models developed? Did you do it all in-house, or go elsewhere?

We studied all the revival projects: What John Bloor has done at Triumph; what Polaris did with Victory; we studied Excelsior-Henderson, MV Agusta, MZ, and of course the Harvard Business school studies on Ducati; and the studies on the decline of the U.S. and UK motorcycle industries. One of the benefits of total ignorance is you assume you have to educate yourself from scratch. Initially, we had three choices. One was to go and buy someone else's engine — but we wanted to develop a serious company, which means you must have your own powerplant. So we decided from that, we had to have our own engine - but do we start from scratch with a clean sheet, or do we take what the Gilroy Indian already had, and put it right? I decided to take what Indian already had — between 1999 and 2003, they sold 12,000 bikes, of which 4000 were Scouts using a proprietary S&S engine, and 8000 were Chiefs of which 4000 employed an S&S engine, and then 4000 used their own Powerplus 100 motor, which they introduced in 2002. One of the biggest bets you have to make in powersports product is the look — so we stayed true to the design, which I think they got right. The Powerplus 100 engine was a success aesthetically - it was a classic V-twin air-cooled engine, which isn't rocket science, but it needed to work properly, so we've spent the last I8 months completely redoing all the internals, and although the engine looks similar to before, it's 90-percent a brand-new engine."

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:22 PM »

"Presumably your business plan was based on certain projections. Has the worsened current financial climate and the steep decline In the V-twin market, as evidenced by Harley's recent drop in sales, affected those?

When I wrote the Indian business plan in 2005, the collapse of the powersport market had not yet occurred. The bike market has indeed declined significantly since then, same as the boat market and the whole power-sport market. Having said that, our plan has always been to start off by selling very low volumes. In our first year, we've budgeted selling 750 units, moving up to 6000 units annually over a five-year period — a very modest target volume. Our bike's retail pricing is between $31,000 and $37,000, which is at the high end of the market — but there are many many reasons why it's pitched there on a par with Harley's CVO division, and also at the start point of the custom market. Now, when I did the business plan, the total custom market was probably 35,000 to 40,000 units a year — and it's probably halved since then, But if you go out and buy a custom bike today, it still has a starter price in the upper 20s U.S. Actually, I learned as much from speaking to the big manufacturers as I did from looking at the custom market, which was a source of inspiration an a number of levels. but certainly not on engineering. But it offered a lot of insights on the design perspective. It reflected a desire for stuff that was different — and it was also clearly a reaction to Harley. So I drew inspiration from the custom market on a design front, and also from the customer base, because it was very clear there was not an insignificant luxury market for high-end bikes, which I thought would help us in the first few years — small-volume, high-priced, Harley CVO and custom bikes, $25,000 and above. I define premium as $15,000 to $20,000 market wholly dominated by Harley-Davidson, with Victory on the sidelines, and I define the sub-$15,000 entry market as dominated by the Japanese and the Harley-Davidson Sportster. That's the way we see the world, rightly or wrongly.

Do you envisage Indian ever producing a product in the sub-$ 15,000 market?

I don't see that right at the moment. I do see us moving into the premium sector, however, which is where the big volume is and where there is clearly an opportunity. It's not very often that you go into a business where there is only one serious player — it's really very rare. And although on one level it seems very daunting, on another level it's actually a mind-blowing opportunity, because it's quite clear that American V-twin customers, much though as they love Harley as they certainly do, would like to see something else, especially with a historic tradition like Indian has. It's my simple premise, and always has been, that one in 10 U.S. Harley owners would buy an Indian instead of, or in addition to, a Harley — and if you believe that simple premise, you have a 13,000 unit annual business, or shall I say a $500 million business. And if you believe it̓s two people out of 10, then it's double that turnover. It may be a 15 to 20-year project, but if we keep our feet on the ground and build the business very slowly, with a constant emphasis on the product and the customer, there is no reason that, with time, we should not have a solid and decent-sized business based on the enduring appeal of the Indian brand.

What are your manufacturing plans for Indian?

We have a 40,000 square-foot covered facility in Kings Mountain lying on 11 acres. I wanted to avoid all the excesses of the previous Indian, but wanted a self-contained facility building our own engines. And we're already thinking of adding on another 60,000-square feet.

When do you plan to produce the first bike for delivery to a paying customer?

Well, we've done all the prototyping and we are now testing two preproduction bikes on the road - we're up to 25,000 miles right now. We're very close potentially. but as you know, it depends on what the testing throws up. We will not go to market unless the bike is totally to our satisfaction. We hope to open our first Indian store in September, which will be our 10,000-square foot flagship store at Lowell, North Carolina, which is halfway between Charlotte and Kings Mountain, where the plant is. I'm involved with every aspect of its design. We're building it as a prototype, and then we’ll sell it to a dealer. We're aiming to be selling bikes in the second half of 2008, but we don't want to give any dates, because we’ll only deliver the bike when it's ready - but we're very close."

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »

Last page:

"How many dealers have you got signed up?

We're focusing on the top 100 markets - the top 15 being A markets, next 15 B markets and then the next 70. Just the top 15 A markets count as 29 percent of U.S. sales. The top 30 markets count as about 48 percent, I think. So even though Harley has 700 dealerships across the country, what we are doing is focusing on key territories - we have six dealers signed up so far, but many more in advanced stages. We're asking quite a lot from our dealers. For A markets, we're asking the dealer to build a new store with at least 10,000-square feet of floor space. Of the six dealers we have signed up, four are doing that and two are remodeling standard stores. At the end of the day, the benchmark is set by Harley Davidson, but we weren't given the privilege of spending 25 years in a grease shop, and then going on to a beautiful store! We have to spring from zero to a beautiful store from day one, because that's what the consumer expects, and that's what we are going to provide. Obviously, in the B and C markets we can't expect the dealers to put up a monogrammed store - they'll put us in a multi brand environment. Do we like that? No, but we have to put up with it - we're business people. In a funny way, building a dealer network is more difficult than building the product.

Will you only make V-twins on this platform? You have a unique opportunity with Indian, in terms of engine format, considering they made a four-cylinder bike back then, as wall as singles.

That's a tantalizing question. We are very aware of the opportunity for Indian with the inline-four, but the issue is, is the market for such a bike going to be big enough, or will it just be viewed as a very Indian engine, but a very niche product? So often [you hear], ‘It's a nice bike, but I wouldn't want to own one - a nice boat, a nice car, a nice house, but I don't want it.” Can we see us coming up with an inline Indian four over the next 15 to 20 years? Yes, absolutely, but I don't know if it's going to be the next engine, or not. One thing I am very clear about, as I am in the boat business and with brands in general, is that you've got to deliver a product, which is genuinely differentiated from the competition. There's just too much of everything in the world today, and no one needs another hike, whether it be a sportbike or a cruiser that isn't different. So that will certainly go into the thinking pot when we're considering a four-cylinder inline engine - as we will.

Indian was always traditionally a sporting brand - so do you envisage going racing with it?

Now you're asking me to dream, and I do - that's the only reason I bought this brand, because everyone thought I was mad to do so, and I am indeed a bit of a dreamer. So, yes, I would love to go racing with Indian. I think Indian can be much more than just cruiser models. I think Indian can be cruisers, can be sportbikes, can be off-road bikes - I even have in my mind a cool Indian scooter, though some might scream in horror at that. However there's no denying that in our core market, the cruiser segment is the most interesting and the most profitable - and so that's where we are today. But over the next 15-20 years, would I like to get sportier? Yes, indeed - and as part of that, would I like to go racing? Absolutely. It's a very great pity that there's no U.S. brand racing internationally today, and Indian, of all companies, should be there — remember, Indians finished 1-2-3 in the first-ever Senior TT run on the Isle of Man Mountain Course. Racing is big dollars, and I want to spend those dollars on Indian.

So you are prepared to stand or fall on your product?

It's the only thing we have. We'll be judged purely by our bikes. But while we're focused on these, we're also focused on the store experience, which is very important. We're selling luxury goods, and the customer expects to go into a lovely store with the product beautifully on display, and as part of that package we've set up our own wholly-owned apparel company in Seattle with nine full-time employees producing nothing but aftermarket merchandise. We're not using licensing, we're not doing it the way 99 percent of bike companies, such as Harley, does including receiving a royalty for something others sell. We're producing it ourselves, we're sourcing it ourselves, we're importing it ourselves, warehousing it ourselves, distributing both direct to our dealership and to specialty retailers.

How do you see Indian developing?

Over the next five years, I want to sell Chiefs and Scouts —that's our big focus. I want to sell solid, beautiful, quality product that has every attention to detail taken care of, using the best quality materials such as leather and deeply chromed metalwork. I look at one of our motorcycles not only as a performance product, but as a piece of jewelry. I often use the analogy with my colleagues of a Swiss clock - every part should be beautifully sculpted, should be aesthetically coherent, and I don't want to see a single cable or dip that is not made of the right material, and put in the right place. I want to build a distinguished, albeit tight, dealer network covering the key territories, and to build a profitable business for ourselves and our dealers, by manufacturing bikes that satisfy their customers. That's our objective."

Hope that answered it.

AJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.