Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Indian Motorcycle Grand Opening  (Read 7464 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Indian Motorcycle Grand Opening
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:29 PM »

Thanks AJ!

We will see you there Saturday!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »

Hope that answered it.

In a nutshell.... :D

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »

I'd say, that's a pretty big nut!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »

Like the one I am goinna hafta carry to get one of those Vintage's in green and white!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »

Hmmm, they're doing a lot of testing and not releasing it until everything is right.  Sounds like an idea that another company could adopt before unleashing their expensive bikes on the public?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »

Hmmm, they're doing a lot of testing and not releasing it until everything is right.  Sounds like an idea that another company could adopt before unleashing their expensive bikes on the public?

Ya think!   :D

I wannit!  Just right! Between the oldster and the road sofa...

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »

Excellent! But I am partial to black.........

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »

Image is everything !!
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

Maybe even with the short fenders. Nice color combo though!

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »

Excellent! But I am partial to black.........

Here you go........

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »

AJ, thanks for posting the article. :2vrolijk_21:
I really like the talk and hope it pans out, I'd be a customer.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 04:08:43 PM »

Are they looking for outlets in the UK do you know?

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

FTI  :bananarock:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

Having now become the owner of such a historic marque, did you then have to educate yourself in the motorcycle industry?

I inherited a Lambretta scooter from my grandfather, and then I bought a 125 Vespa. Until four years ago, these were the only bikes I'd ever owned, and so I got a U.S. motorcycle license, read my history books, went to rallies, and learned how to ride a proper bike.

Dare I ask if you own a Harley-Davidson?

No. I don't, but I have several Indians!

How did you get from there to here, on the verge of relaunching Indian again?

I spent two years developing a business plan — two years addressing major strategic issues. This is a business where a lot of people have lost a lot of money, a business which is very technology intensive, and very capital intensive. So I wanted to do things very slowly and very carefully. After two years, I felt comfortable with the plan. And in July 2006, I bought a plant in North Carolina, in Kings Mountain, which is about 40 minutes west of Charlotte, en route to Spartanburg, South Carolina, the American home of BMW. It's a good state — very supportive of our plan to set up Indian there. At the same time, we set up another plant for Chris-Craft — a much bigger plant just 10 minutes from the Indian factory. There were lots of good reasons to be in the area — the state is the home of NASCAR, and the Southeast USA is the growing center for the motor industry. We were thrilled to have the plant there, so having bought it, it was then important to put a good team together to develop the company, and its products.

There aren't many places you can find motorcycle engineers around the world — it tends to be a very concentrated industry, unlike the boat business which is very fragmented and where the barriers are fairly low. With what it costs to develop a single motorcycle, I could probably develop about 50 boats from scratch — so it was essential that we got a really good head of engineering. My total obsession from the beginning has been that this would be a company based on engineering talent, on strong product, as it was clear from the previous Indian company that where they had gone wrong was in not focusing on solid engineering. We decided that the main people we were going to hire would be engineers, and that̓s what we've done, with a minimum of back-office staff.

A lot of people have wondered what we were doing, because we haven't spoken at all to the press until now, with you — but we felt we didn't want to say anything until we had the right product, an opposed to lots of hype. This is a private-equity venture, and we're a small team — there's myself and another outside minority investor and the managers involved. What really matters is the product. Does the product do justice to the brand? Does the product meet the promise of the brand? This is the issue, not the PR hype. What matters is, is it a beautiful bike, a performing bike and are we supporting the customer with good after-sales service? That's what counts.

Who have you hired to achieve that?

We have Stephen Heese, who is my minority partner in the USA. He̓s been my business partner and friend for many years, and is the president of my company and also the president of Chris-Craft. Our general manager is a man called Chris Bernauer, who was with Harley-Davidson for 11 years, and was the platform director for the Sportster. As vice president of engineering, we also have Nick Glaja, who's Romanian, and was the principal powertrain engineer for Harley and, before that, the vice president of engineering for Victory, so he has tremendous experience and is highly talented. We now have 35 employees, and about 25 of those are engineers.

How were your new Indian models developed? Did you do it all in-house, or go elsewhere?

We studied all the revival projects: What John Bloor has done at Triumph; what Polaris did with Victory; we studied Excelsior-Henderson, MV Agusta, MZ, and of course the Harvard Business school studies on Ducati; and the studies on the decline of the U.S. and UK motorcycle industries. One of the benefits of total ignorance is you assume you have to educate yourself from scratch. Initially, we had three choices. One was to go and buy someone else's engine — but we wanted to develop a serious company, which means you must have your own powerplant. So we decided from that, we had to have our own engine - but do we start from scratch with a clean sheet, or do we take what the Gilroy Indian already had, and put it right? I decided to take what Indian already had — between 1999 and 2003, they sold 12,000 bikes, of which 4000 were Scouts using a proprietary S&S engine, and 8000 were Chiefs of which 4000 employed an S&S engine, and then 4000 used their own Powerplus 100 motor, which they introduced in 2002. One of the biggest bets you have to make in powersports product is the look — so we stayed true to the design, which I think they got right. The Powerplus 100 engine was a success aesthetically - it was a classic V-twin air-cooled engine, which isn't rocket science, but it needed to work properly, so we've spent the last I8 months completely redoing all the internals, and although the engine looks similar to before, it's 90-percent a brand-new engine."

Holy chit!  Howie's been right all along!  Who would have guessed?   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »

Thanks mi amigo AJ for that article.......very interesting. When I purchased my first Harley (Sporster 1200) back in 2000 I was in my first big event, Biketoberfest - Daytona Beach) exactly 8 years ago and I visited the Indian tent because I was ready to change the Sporster for a big bike and I really considered to get an Indian.....so let's see what will happens now... :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.