Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Accident regarding the recall  (Read 2846 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Accident regarding the recall
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Motorcycle-in-Fatal-Police-Crash-Was-Under-Recall.html

NBCDFW.com The motorcycle involved in a fiery crash that claimed the life of an Arlington police officer had been recalled for a potentially serious safety issue but had not yet been repaired, police said Thursday.

Sgt. Craig Story died Wednesday morning after his Harley Davidson struck a school bus on South Cooper Street.

The recall, first issued last month, involves a problem with a mount near the front fuel tank that could spark a fire in a crash.

Arlington police said the department learned of the recall last week and immediately ordered repairs.

Motorcycle in Fatal Police Crash Was Under Recall
 WATCH
Motorcycle in Fatal Police Crash Was Under Recall
Story's motorcycle had been scheduled for repairs at the time of the crash, police said.

At this point, there is no indication that the problems that led to the recall contributed to the officer's death.

The Tarrant County medical examiner ruled Story died on impact and not in the fire, but that determination is preliminary, police said.

The voluntary recall involves certain models of Harley Davidsons made in 2008 and 2009.

"The front fuel tank mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision," according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The agency said the issue could cause a fuel leak near the front bracket.

"A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death to the rider," the notice said.

"Right now there are a lot more questions than answers," said Dallas attorney Clint David, who handles product liability cases.

He questioned whether police moved fast enough to make the repairs once the department was aware of the safety issue.

"If anything good comes from this, it'll be the lesson when you get a recall that can cause death, respect the recall and repair the motorcycle," he said.

Meanwhile, police announced plans for Story's funeral.

A candlelight vigil is planned for Sunday at 7 p.m. at Arlington Funeral Home on Division Street.

The funeral service will take place Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Crossroads Christian Church in Grand Prairie.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

jimsmith94

Re: Accident regarding the recall
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »

The recall was the first thing I thought of when I saw the story breaking on TV. I guess it was merciful that he died from the impact and not from the fire. I'm guessing there will probably be a big time lawsuit from the family anyway.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »

So did anyone watch the TV news video?? Check out the smile, on the guy talking at the end???

What a chit head!
The "TAZMUN"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »

Assuming the account I read was correct, the officer was killed when a school bus turned in front of him while he was in pursuit.  If he was in pursuit, I'm going to assume he had lights flashing and a siren wailing.  So after all the discussion about the recall dies down, what about the clown who turned the bus in front of the officer?  Last I heard, no charges had been filed. 

I don't believe in giving H-D a free pass on this, but if it's determined the officer died from the impact and not from the subsequent fire I don't see any justification for any lawsuit against H-D by the family or any other party.  However, the driver of that bus, and the owner of that bus, had best hope they paid their insurance premiums.

In the original thread concerning the recall several folks mentioned not getting the recall performed because any accident severe enough to cause a fire would most likely be fatal anyway.  While that could be argued forever, one thing this incident in Texas does in fact confirm is that there is a real danger of fire in the original design.  Anyone who was sitting on the fence about getting the recall work done should get off that fence and get the rework done ASAP. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jimsmith94

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »

Since I live in the area, this has been all over the news for days. In every account I've heard, the bus was making a right turn off of the street that the officer was on. Unless it made that turn from the left lane, I don't see how the bike could have broadsided the bus.

One student that was on the bus was interviewed by all three (or more) local stations. In every interview I've seen on different channels, he said he saw the motorcycle speeding at them with the lights on, but said he heard NO siren.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered, and I don't think this will go away for a while.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »

First of I'm going to say this is a tragedy and my condolences go out to the officer, his family, his department, and community. From someone in public safety I can tell you that lights and siren doesn't give you "carte blanche" to blast thru red lights/stop signs. It is our department (as it is many) policy when approaching red lights/stop signs to only proceed thru them when we are sure opposing traffic is yielding us the right of way. Unfortunately they are making vehicles more sound proof these days and it has become harder and harder for drivers to hear our sirens/air horns. It has become frustrating responding to emergency calls because drivers don't hear us and don't yield us the right of way. This is not an excuse or an attempt to defend this school bus driver, but to suggest he may get charged might just be premature as it is quite possible that he had the green light (right of way) and didn't hear the sirens of the Motor Officer.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »

I still have a hard time thinking that a plastic support bracket will help in a head on collision ,I think it is a band aid to try to take the HEAT off the Motor Co..... Will that bracket prevent the tank rupturing ??????

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »

I will keep an open mind on this. I feel very sorry for the officer and his family
and I don't think throwing the blame on the bike quickly, is the answer.
As I said before, the guy on that TV station with the BIG smile, and the end
of his interview, pissed me off. The bus driver could have been at fault,
the motorcycle officer could have been at fault, but the bike caused the death.
IF he would have been in a patrol car,he most likely would be alive.
We all take a big risk riding a bike, and we all know what can happen.
We know the risks are also much greater without a helmet too.
I heard of a guy that got in an accident on his FLH, lost his "personals"
sued the MoCo, won, and bought a new HD. Someone will take the fall,
but the poor family of that officer will remember it the rest or their lives.
I will say a prayer them.
The "TAZMUN"

Ultra2010

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »

I still have not received a recall notice.  Wonder if I'm going to or not...........

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »

So did anyone watch the TV news video?? Check out the smile, on the guy talking at the end???

What a chit head!

WHAT, a product liability lawyer who is a SLEEZEBALL!  I'm SHOCKED!!  :o
Spada84
NoSofa!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »

First of I'm going to say this is a tragedy and my condolences go out to the officer, his family, his department, and community. From someone in public safety I can tell you that lights and siren doesn't give you "carte blanche" to blast thru red lights/stop signs. It is our department (as it is many) policy when approaching red lights/stop signs to only proceed thru them when we are sure opposing traffic is yielding us the right of way. Unfortunately they are making vehicles more sound proof these days and it has become harder and harder for drivers to hear our sirens/air horns. It has become frustrating responding to emergency calls because drivers don't hear us and don't yield us the right of way. This is not an excuse or an attempt to defend this school bus driver, but to suggest he may get charged might just be premature as it is quite possible that he had the green light (right of way) and didn't hear the sirens of the Motor Officer.
 :pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:fireman:

I agree Gary, if the actual situation was different than the report I read that said the bus turned in front of the officer, then charges against the driver may not be justified.  As is the case all to often these days, the information put out by various media sources isn't necessarily correct.  Gone are the days of verification before publishing; now we get raw unfiltered (and unverified) "news" not just from the mickey mouse outfits, but from the big networks, newspapers, etc. as well.  If I unjustly accused the bus driver in my earlier post, I hereby apologize.

Your point about not being able to hear typical sirens in modern cars is well taken.  I've found myself getting "surprised" on occassion by police cars or even fire trucks with the big air horns blaring, and I don't use cell phones or other devices while driving.  I'm not sure what the answer is, perhaps we need to invent a much more attention grabbing visual signal.  Typical light bars are very visible at night, but not so much in bright daylight.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »

I am sorry for the officers family and friends, what a terrible loss.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »

I still have a hard time thinking that a plastic support bracket will help in a head on collision ,I think it is a band aid to try to take the HEAT off the Motor Co..... Will that bracket prevent the tank rupturing ??????

First, I also offer prayers to the fallen officer.  Imagine how loud a bus full of students can be and distracting!

The tank mounting tabs were not welded to the outer shell of the tank as in previous tanks.   The tab is welded on the inside tunnel only.  The plastic tab slides over the tab making it more rigid.  Upon frontal crash and the neck buckling, the tabs ripped the steel at the weld inside the tunnel, causing a leak.  Post recall tanks have the tab welded on the outer tank shell as well to make it stronger. 

I wonder if this is possibly another band aid to fix a weak design frame.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »

First, I also offer prayers to the fallen officer.  Imagine how loud a bus full of students can be and distracting!

The tank mounting tabs were not welded to the outer shell of the tank as in previous tanks.   The tab is welded on the inside tunnel only.  The plastic tab slides over the tab making it more rigid.  Upon frontal crash and the neck buckling, the tabs ripped the steel at the weld inside the tunnel, causing a leak.  Post recall tanks have the tab welded on the outer tank shell as well to make it stronger. 

I wonder if this is possibly another band aid to fix a weak design frame.

No, that can't be...... the new frame makes for a "very rigid design!
At least I find that true while riding the new bikes. Could there be
a trade off?
'.
The "TAZMUN"

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »

No, that can't be...... the new frame makes for a "very rigid design!
At least I find that true while riding the new bikes. Could there be
a trade off?
'.

Better handling and road feel is not the same as the strength to withstand a collision.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »

Better handling and road feel is not the same as the strength to withstand a collision.

I was being somewhat sarcastic! There is always trade offs.
The "TAZMUN"

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »

What a tragedy, what a loss.  Sure do hate reading these stories.   

Was at the dealer today for "other" parts and they showed me the plastic parts that fix the recall.  I can't imagine they could help much.  All I can say is stay focused out there and ride as safely as you can.

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »

my brother is the commander  for the san marcos bike unit... they rode up to attend the funeral and the talk was about how the bike was on recall and it hadnt been done... thier was over 400 bike officers thier .... the lawsuits on the way for sure....

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

my brother is the commander  for the san marcos bike unit... they rode up to attend the funeral and the talk was about how the bike was on recall and it hadnt been done... thier was over 400 bike officers thier .... the lawsuits on the way for sure....
I agree they may come, but no MONEY can bring back a loved one!
The "TAZMUN"

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 12:45:58 AM »

It sounds like a fine brave man took on a job with risks to protect the citizens of his community.  A tragic accident took him from his family and community.  Part of the risks he took involved decisions during an emergency.  If fault for his decision falls on him does it make him any less deserving of the fullest of honors we citizens owe our public servants who risk the greatest thing man has to offer.  Thanks be to all the noble knights who mount their steeds when duty calls so we may be secure in our kingdoms.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »

It sounds like a fine brave man took on a job with risks to protect the citizens of his community.  A tragic accident took him from his family and community.  Part of the risks he took involved decisions during an emergency.  If fault for his decision falls on him does it make him any less deserving of the fullest of honors we citizens owe our public servants who risk the greatest thing man has to offer.  Thanks be to all the noble knights who mount their steeds when duty calls so we may be secure in our kingdoms.
I have to agree.
The "TAZMUN"
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.