Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Polaris Buys Indian Motorcycle Limited.  (Read 6815 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Polaris Buys Indian Motorcycle Limited.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »

Too bad they didn't take over HD!

We can always hope.  Hell, I'd be happy if the Indians in India took them over, at least it wouldn't be the same ol' same ol'.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »

Interesting.

Wonder if the factory will stay in the same location?
Wonder if there will be a touring bike coming?

SBB
Nope

KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. — Officials of a North Carolina motorcycle manufacturer say they will cease operations in the state after the company was recently sold.

The Gaston Gazette reports that Indian Motorcycle officials announced Thursday that the company will cease manufacturing in Cleveland County after its sale to Polaris Industries Inc., which will relocate the operation to Iowa.

The Kings Mountain plant has 25 employees and has been open less than three years. Nearly 800 jobs were expected when Indian and sister company Chris-Craft announced plans in 2006 to set up manufacturing operations in the county.

Cleveland County paid more than $1 million toward the plant purchase and the city promised reimbursement of property taxes for a decade.

Chris-Craft closed in 2009 after one year of operation.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

canucktm

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »

Hope once all the dust settles Polaris will address the vibration issues of the Power Plus 105. Still think the vintage is a beautiful looking bike .

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »

I test rode one a year ago and was blown away by the shear beauty of the bike.  It has IMHO the most beautiful motors ever made.  It drips character in every area...especially the long fenders (with caliper covers) and the leather tooling on seat and saddlebags. 

However, its handling left a lot for improvement (similar but not as good as a HD Softail) and power was severely lacking for 105" motor.  I said as much when we got back and the salesman said he should have given me the one with the "stage one" upgrade...WTFO?

Not worth the asking price of a CVO Tourer but if they can get the price down to around 18K like a HD Softail, I'll have one in my garage!

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »

X2   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »

Getting the pricing down is going to be a real big requirement, I like the looks and seating position of the indians but I do not think that they are worth the asking price. While they are at it they could move the oil filter away from the exhaust.

I think the key to success is in the type of comment being made above. Essentially what this amounts to is reverse engineering. The Japanese are the acknowledged masters of the universe at it. Take a known design and remove the flaws, market it properly with an acceptable price point and you've got a success story. Nobody gave Victory a real chance but they've beaten the odds. I am hoping they put an Indian on the market that shakes the MoCo to it's roots.

B B

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »

I think the key to success is in the type of comment being made above. Essentially what this amounts to is reverse engineering. The Japanese are the acknowledged masters of the universe at it. Take a known design and remove the flaws, market it properly with an acceptable price point and you've got a success story. Nobody gave Victory a real chance but they've beaten the odds. I am hoping they put an Indian on the market that shakes the MoCo to it's roots.

B B

...remember this one from Japan ?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »

Just another wanna be from Japan.
Bike might bring a grand in good condition.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »

B B

Unlike the Chinese, who copy a known design and add a few flaws, pay there workers a nickel a day and then sell it back to us at Wally World......   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

Actually I saw a lot of these when they were in production. I think the issue was that the Japanese are bound to change model designs yearly or semi-yearly and there wasn't much they could do with this I don't believe Kawasaki produced this model for more than one or two years. Also, the market for it was limited in that you had folks (at least out here) that wanted the Indian look without the issues but there were not enough of them to sustain the model. A few that I happened to see regularly took this a bit further installing bits and pieces of old Indians where they could. One old fellow would wear the johdpurs from back in the day with a kidney belt and old Cycle Champ leather.

B B

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »

I hope Polaris does great with Indian. Every Polaris product I have ever owned was great with no issues ever. I'm sure they will do the same with Indian.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »

Just another wanna be from Japan.
Bike might bring a grand in good condition.

;)

SBB
I am not so sure about that low value. I have a shop full of 70's Jap bikes that are worth 4 times their new value.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

I am not so sure about that low value. I have a shop full of 70's Jap bikes that are worth 4 times their new value.

Asking this because I really don't have a clue what the answer is.  Anything I was riding in the 70s wasn't new, hadn't been new for a long time and was more often than not two or three bikes rolled in to one.

So...  Is saying a 70s era Japanese bike is now worth 400% its new value saying they've appreciated to actually be worth something or that they just didn't cost much to begin with?

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »

Just check EBay for what people are paying for KZ900s and CB750s. It's crazy what they're paying for original KZ exhausts to restore these bikes. I must have thrown away $10k worth of KZ pipes over the years changing them out with Kerker megs or V&H Sideinders lol.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »

Drifters (Indian Clone) seem to be going for 5-8K which is about half thier original selling price. From some of the original road tests on the web, it looked like a very together bike with a tried and true frame and power train. Doc

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/review9_00.htm
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:05:35 PM by grandpadoc »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.