Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A victory in Michigan  (Read 4410 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
A victory in Michigan
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: A victory in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »

"Although the law was passed with immediate effect, it sets out certain conditions that must be in place before someone can legally ride without a helmet.

It lets motorcyclists who are at least 21 years old choose whether to wear a helmet if they carry at least $20,000 in additional medical insurance. They also must have passed a motorcycle safety course or have had their motorcycle endorsement for at least two years
"

OK, so how do they plan to enforce that one?  Somehow a cop will just be able to "know" as he rides past that rider A is only 20 years old or doesn't carry additional insurance or hasn't passed a safety course?  Sounds like another BS law written by idiots more interested in getting votes than they are in creating meaningful and easily enforced laws.  If they want to eliminate the requirement for helmets, then just have the balls to do it, plain and simple.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »

"Although the law was passed with immediate effect, it sets out certain conditions that must be in place before someone can legally ride without a helmet.

It lets motorcyclists who are at least 21 years old choose whether to wear a helmet if they carry at least $20,000 in additional medical insurance. They also must have passed a motorcycle safety course or have had their motorcycle endorsement for at least two years
"

OK, so how do they plan to enforce that one?  Somehow a cop will just be able to "know" as he rides past that rider A is only 20 years old or doesn't carry additional insurance or hasn't passed a safety course?  Sounds like another BS law written by idiots more interested in getting votes than they are in creating meaningful and easily enforced laws.  If they want to eliminate the requirement for helmets, then just have the balls to do it, plain and simple.

Jerry

Agreed. But it's a start. It's been 46 years.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »

Agreed. But it's a start. It's been 46 years.

You're right..it's a start...and it's way better than the current NY law.....

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »

sounds like their gonna pull over alot of bike this summer to check if we have the extra insurance and safety class endorsement    still glad to have the choice
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »

Northern Michigan is an ideal place to ride without a helmet. Lots of Scenic two lane roads in rural areas. I'm looking forward to that. Will still wear the lid in the city.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

For someone has been riding BEFORE it was a LAW, I am glad to again have the CHOICE.  :2vrolijk_21:

Not a big fan of our (MI) No Fault insurance program, and the MCCA fee's that we have to pay for those who choose to drive w/o any.

I believe this Governor saw the Tourist $$$$$$ that it may bring to our Great Lake State. The State HOG rally will be held in Kalamazoo
this year, and all of our neighbors except Canada, have the CHOICE. We have some very Beautiful roads to ride and things to see.

http://mistatehogrally.com/

'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »

I know its a choice, But im still on the fence about it  :nixweiss:

I am 40 years old and been on some sort of scoot since I was 9 , All I know is the helmet law  :nervous:

Some freinds and I took a cruise friday with-out helmets  about 40 to 50 miles just on main roads and when we pulled over to talk ,All we could say is how insecure we felt with out them  :-\   Maybe its just something you need to get used to  ;)

KKM

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

Time will tell re increased insurance costs...
Hope all have signed up for organ donation.
Heart Transplants have been stuck <3000 in this country for years, this can only help.

Sorry if this sounds grim...it's the business i'm in.

Kevin

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »

Get used to ridin w/o and you will hate being forced to wear one. I ride w/o at all times even though I fully know it makes more sense to put it on. Just so much more enjoyable. There's danger in just throwing a leg over one.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »

I know its a choice, But im still on the fence about it  :nixweiss:

I am 40 years old and been on some sort of scoot since I was 9 , All I know is the helmet law  :nervous:

Some freinds and I took a cruise friday with-out helmets  about 40 to 50 miles just on main roads and when we pulled over to talk ,All we could say is how insecure we felt with out them  :-\   Maybe its just something you need to get used to  ;)

I rode for a couple years without a helmet when I was 16-17, before Michigan passed the helmet law.  After being run down by a clown in a car, then run off the road by another clown in a step van while he grinned at me out the open door, I decided a helmet made a lot of sense.  Oh, and let's not forget that June bug that damned near knocked me out when it hit me square in the forehead.  Anyway, I started wearing a helmet voluntarily, then I moved to a state where it was required.  After 20 years I was transferred to Chicago, and even though Illinois and Indiana are helmet optional states I've worn one anyway.  I'm more comfortable in a helmet, I'm definitely safer in a helmet, and I really don't give a chit about looking "cool".  If you feel more secure wearing the helmet, don't let being "cool" or peer pressure convince you to stop wearing it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

I rode for a couple years without a helmet when I was 16-17, before Michigan passed the helmet law.  After being run down by a clown in a car, then run off the road by another clown in a step van while he grinned at me out the open door, I decided a helmet made a lot of sense.  Oh, and let's not forget that June bug that damned near knocked me out when it hit me square in the forehead.  Anyway, I started wearing a helmet voluntarily, then I moved to a state where it was required.  After 20 years I was transferred to Chicago, and even though Illinois and Indiana are helmet optional states I've worn one anyway.  I'm more comfortable in a helmet, I'm definitely safer in a helmet, and I really don't give a chit about looking "cool".  If you feel more secure wearing the helmet, don't let being "cool" or peer pressure convince you to stop wearing it.
Jerry

Well said, but I am Glad to have a CHOICE again  :2vrolijk_21:
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »

Well said, but I am Glad to have a CHOICE again  :2vrolijk_21:
X2 on the choice! :orange:

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »

8) THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CHANGE FROM GOVERNMENT CONTROL PEOPLES LIVE DEMOCRATS TO A REPUBLICAN GOVENOR! :bananarock:
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

8) THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CHANGE FROM GOVERNMENT CONTROL PEOPLES LIVE DEMOCRATS TO A REPUBLICAN GOVENOR! :bananarock:

Nah, I don't think that was it at all. He just saw the $$$$$$$ from out state riders !

:nervous:
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.