Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Fewer Michigan Motorcycle Fatalities After Helmet Law Repeal??  (Read 7236 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Fewer Michigan Motorcycle Fatalities After Helmet Law Repeal??
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »

Story originated in The Detroit News and was picked up by Fox News.  Fox also cited a study from The Center for Disease Control and Prevention. 

I'm wearing mine but it is sometimes nice to "go naked."   :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Fewer Michigan Motorcycle Fatalities After Helmet Law Repeal??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »

Too early to tell, IMO.  Plus, fatalities are not the only stat that needs to be looked at in a case like this.  Head injuries...period...should be the stat that tells the most.  Nobody is ever going to convice me that head injuries are less likely without a helmet on than with one on.  It is completely illogical.

Having the ability to choose?  That's a different discussion.

I don't have a dog in that hunt anyway because you'll never catch me riding without a helmet...never.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »

Story originated in The Detroit News and was picked up by Fox News.  Fox also cited a study from The Center for Disease Control and Prevention. 

I'm wearing mine but it is sometimes nice to "go naked."   :nixweiss:

Not preaching just pointing out that Nekid is nice and was the norm, but after my ordeal and almost dying from head injuries, I can tell you +1 for the helmets.   They can fix most things, but scramble the eggs and your done, i learned the hardway, but was lottery lucky in the end to get my faculties back ... i think.  Some will argue that , but ohh well.      Of the things I lost my mind and memory are on the top of the list.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »

A very good friend manages the CT scan department at a large hospital.  She says the staff in her department refers to motorcycle riders that don't wear helmets as "organ donors", because they often show up with serious/fatal head injuries, while their internal organs are in very good condition and suitable donor organs.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

That was run yesterday, this was today:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121003/METRO05/210030382/1409/metro/EB-96-ramp-94-reopened-after-motorcycle-crash

The driver of the motorcycle, a male in his 50s from Macomb Township, was not wearing a helmet and was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, police say.

I'm always riding with my helmet.

Brad

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »

In Maine, I have had the choice for many many years.
My free choice has always been to wear a helmet.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »

Too early to tell, IMO.  Plus, fatalities are not the only stat that needs to be looked at in a case like this.  Head injuries...period...should be the stat that tells the most.  Nobody is ever going to convince me that head injuries are less likely without a helmet on than with one on.  It is completely illogical.

Having the ability to choose?  That's a different discussion.

I don't have a dog in that hunt anyway because you'll never catch me riding without a helmet...never.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »

come on ,now harleys riders should have the right  to look cool with out  a helmet :huepfenlol2:

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »

If you want to wear a helmet well wear one but don't rag on the guy who chooses to go without one. This is the problem to many people think they know whats best for another let him or her decide for themselves. Our freedoms are slowly being taken from us. Ok rant over  ;D

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »

That was run yesterday, this was today:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121003/METRO05/210030382/1409/metro/EB-96-ramp-94-reopened-after-motorcycle-crash

The driver of the motorcycle, a male in his 50s from Macomb Township, was not wearing a helmet and was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, police say.

I'm always riding with my helmet.

Brad

And as is the case with all irresponsible reporting, it doesn't mention what the life threatening injuries are a result of.
It strongly imples it - but it clearly could be the result of something where a helmet (or lack thereof) was not a contributing factor.

My guess is it had nothing to do with lack of a helmet.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »

I'm from Michigan, and the repeal of the helmet law was a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.  You won't hear me say anything like "helmets cause more injuries than they prevent", but I will argue that they shouldn't make laws to protect me from myself.  I've been riding since I was three years old.....no joke.  My dad raced bikes when I was young, and always drilled into our heads that helmets and long pants were always a necessity.....no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  I was always an advocate for helmet use, until I started riding on the street.  While I understand that a full face helmet is supposed to be the safest way to ride, I didn't like the extra weight being on my neck, didn't like the drag created by the wind, and absolutely hated the lack of peripheral vision.  I've been using non-DOT "novelty" helmets for the last several years.  I have no assumption that the helmet I wear would protect my noggin in any substantial way, but it's enough to keep the fuzz off my back.  But, as mentioned above......it's a matter of personal choice.  I always choose to wear my seat belt when in my car, but I don't believe there should be a law governing it.  These laws only exist to generate revenue for the state and local authorities.

And along with what TIF said about the irresponsible reporting:  We had a story a while back where a man and woman were in an accident, and, sadly, neither made it.  The reporter was very quick to point out that neither were wearing helmets.....but failed to mention that they had both been decapitated.

Oddly enough, when someone dies in an accident and they WERE wearing their helmet, nobody mentions that fact.

I crashed my Softail back in April.....went down pretty hard, $7400+ in damages to the bike.  I went to the doctor to get checked out because I was certain that I had broken my shoulder and collar bone.  Everyone in that office, upon learning why I was there, asked if I had been wearing my helmet.  To which I replied in the affirmative, followed by the explanation that it was irrelevant, since at no point during the accident did I hit my head...on anything.....there weren't even any scratches on the helmet.  But they all responded with, "Thank god you were wearing the helmet."..................seriously??

Anyway....end of rant.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

On the issue of personal freedoms, I agree that helmet laws infringe on that freedom.  But at what point does exercise of personal freedom become so much of a burden on society that society can curtail it?  I refer to riders, insured or otherwise that become so crippled from head injuries they become a burden on society.  Who should bear that cost? Or, should the personal right be restricted?  Just noting the issues.  I don't have the answer. 

Non DOT helmets are not the answer but I have one you might like.  HCI makes a DOT Carbon half helmet that is nearly as thin as the novelties.  I sometimes get stopped by riders who ask where they can get one because they think it looks so cool.  The are available online for $118.  Worth the look though statistics show most head injuries are actually to the face. 

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:03:26 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

On the issue of personal freedoms, I agree that helmet laws infringe on that freedom.  But at what point does exercise of personal freedom become so much of a burden on society that society can curtail it?  I refer to riders, insured or otherwise that become so crippled from head injuries they become a burden on society.  Who should bear that cost? Or, should the personal right be restricted?  Just noting the issues.  I don't have the answer. 

I appreciate your points here Greg.
However, there is simply no data to support the position that the non-use of helmets contributes materially to a burden on society via sustained injuries related to said non-use.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »

Not sure about no data but will agree that the data is disputed.  That's the point of the original article. 

Let's all stay alive!

Sawyer Brown

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »

I appreciate your points here Greg.
However, there is simply no data to support the position that the non-use of helmets contributes materially to a burden on society via sustained injuries related to said non-use.

There actually is rather comprehensive data that supports Greg's position.  This study looked at the financial burden of motorcycle injuries to society through increased insurance premiums to pay for those injuried.    

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/helmet_use.aspx

What MI did was fine by me (I still chose to wear one).  You have the right to chose.  However, they require additional medical coverage to help close this financial disparity.  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 22 queries.