Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unique motorcycle safety device aims to reduce rear-end collisions.  (Read 2187 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

Fox News:  Unique motorcycle safety device aims to reduce rear-end collisions.

"Look ma, no brakes.
But slow down anyway!
California startup Vectolabs has developed a new type of safety light for motorcycles that illuminates when the bike slows down, regardless of whether or not the rider is using the brakes.
Called Vololights, the device is comprised of two sets of LEDs built into a license plate holder that’s fitted with an accelerometer and CPU. When it senses that the motorcycle it is installed on starts slowing down, a pattern of blinking lights goes off to get the attention of following vehicles.
Since motorcycles decelerate much quicker than four-wheel vehicles when you let up on the accelerator or downshift, many riders don’t use the brakes to slow down as often as car and truck drivers do. Doing either of these things will cause the Vololights to flash twice per second, while using the brakes will flash them five times per second to indicate a more severe stopping event, augmenting the motorcycle’s stock lights.
Many motorcycle organizations and state departments of motor vehicles already encourage riders to flash their brakes when slowing, a step Vectolabs is simply looking to automate. It is also aimed at owners of some classic bikes, including 1960s Vespa scooters where the hand grip for the front brakes isn’t even connected to the lights, only the brake pedal is.
A number of electric cars, including the Tesla Model S, illuminate their brake lights as soon as you lift off of the accelerator, as their electric motors instantly start generating electricity and forcibly slow the car down in the process. Even more so than with motorcycles, you can drive these kinds of cars much of the time without using the brakes at all.
Vectolabs says Vololights fits a variety of motorcycles and is confident that it will conform to state and federal legal requirements for lighting, but will recommend users check their local laws. A ‘stealth mode’ turns off the system if you drive somewhere they are not allowed.
But don’t mount up and head to the motorcycle shop just yet. Vectolabs is in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign that aims to raise $50,000 by June 12th in order to put the Vololights into production. A number of pledge levels are available, but it’ll cost you at least $69 if you want to get on the list for a kit.
In the meantime, watch out behind you."

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Big-Aye

• -Verae Navis Vacillant-

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE CVO Breakout-Hard Candy Gold/Liquid Sun

Makes sense to me...

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG

interesting technology... seems like a good idea

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

I'm waiting on the chrome version  :1syellow1:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ultrarider123

I'm waiting on the chrome version  :1syellow1:

X2 on the chrome.....

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3

I'd rather color match, so I'm in.  Funny how technology is making our bad habits not so bad.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!

:2vrolijk_21:
Not a bad idea!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Not a bad idea, until it becomes ubiquitous and then everyone ignores it.  Kind of like the center hi-mount brake light on cars.  When they first started experimenting with it on taxi cabs way back when, they found a big difference in rear end crashes when comparing those equipped with the hi-mount lights versus those not equipped.  Eventually CHMSL's became required by regulation (1986), and once most cars on the road were so equipped the effect was much less evident.

In the meantime, a vigilant rider can easily do the same thing if he pays attention to his surroundings.  If there is anyone behind you, assume they don't see you and flash your brake lights manually.  I do this as a matter of habit.  I also sit in a line of stopped traffic with my eyes on the mirrors.  If there is anyone coming up behind, I flash the brake lights repetitively until I see them come to a stop.  After you're been hit from the rear, this sort of thing becomes a habit.

Anyhow, it's a nice idea that could be easily incorporated in the bikes electronics for next to nothing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8

I like it!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

I do just what Jerry said. I was hit at a stop light two years ago.
Bill

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
Re: Unique motorcycle safety device aims to reduce rear-end collisions.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

I do the samething even in my car. It also works to get a tailgater to back off.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Unique motorcycle safety device aims to reduce rear-end collisions.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »

Not a bad idea, until it becomes ubiquitous and then everyone ignores it.  Kind of like the center hi-mount brake light on cars.  When they first started experimenting with it on taxi cabs way back when, they found a big difference in rear end crashes when comparing those equipped with the hi-mount lights versus those not equipped.  Eventually CHMSL's became required by regulation (1986), and once most cars on the road were so equipped the effect was much less evident.

In the meantime, a vigilant rider can easily do the same thing if he pays attention to his surroundings.  If there is anyone behind you, assume they don't see you and flash your brake lights manually.  I do this as a matter of habit.  I also sit in a line of stopped traffic with my eyes on the mirrors.  If there is anyone coming up behind, I flash the brake lights repetitively until I see them come to a stop.  After you're been hit from the rear, this sort of thing becomes a habit.

Anyhow, it's a nice idea that could be easily incorporated in the bikes electronics for next to nothing.

Jerry
YEA, Me too (manually), till I see them slowing it down. I watch the mirror at the lights, might need to drop the clutch and get the hell out of the way. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.