Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: PHOTOS TOO GRAPHIC FOR ABC, CBS, CNN, ETC.  (Read 4247 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Re: PHOTOS TOO GRAPHIC FOR ABC, CBS, CNN, ETC.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »

I am not even going to pretend to be well-versed and up-to-date on all that is going on with our military in Iraq, Kuwait, or elsewhere.  I know I'm irresponsible in that area.  However, when I went back to school as an adult versus a 20yo the first time around, I paid more attention in history classes.  As a staff member at a college, I went to lectures that I did not attend as a student and would not have attended when I was younger.  On a few occasions, I had the opportunity to see a few things and read some things that were not public broadcasts.

When 9/11 took place, my ex-husband called to tell me about and I think he was FOS because nothing was on the news anywhere - TV, Internt, Radio.  He was listening to the FDNY scanner feed and heard it as it was taking place.  When CNN did start broadcasting, what I heard on the scanner and what I saw on TV was two entirely different things (until the next plane hit).  I kept thinking, "That's not what they said on the scanner!"  A year later, a CNN executive came to speak at our institution.  The lecture was specifically for communication majors, but I was interested and went anyway.  The subject was the responsibility of "the press" to the people (not just the general public, but the government, and the military, the citizens of the 3rd world countries, etc, etc).  Many of the staff members attended.  I was somewhat shocked at how involved CNN is with the military.  I guess I thought they were no different than the ABC or NBC.  I'm sure Scot and others know more about that.  I saw things that day that were definitely TOO GRAPHIC for television.  9/11 was the first example was because it was so new and fresh in everyone's mind.  Other clips were of raids during "ethnic cleansing" in the middle east, military ops in South Africa, US hostages, etc.  All of the films were of "past history" so its not like any confidential information was jeopardized.  It was simply to demonstrate why CNN chooses what to show and why they choose to not broadcasts some things despite what hits prime-time major networks or what the public thinks about it.  The reason they did not broadcasts most of the footage is because they did not want little Johnny seeing his father jump out of a building and that being his last memory of his dad.  Another reason isn't much different than what you tell you spouse about dealing with a child when in the middle of a heated argument.  "You can't let them know they are in control!"  If you present things in a calm and controlled manner, they realize they aren't going to win this fight!  And the reason you should NOT be seeing these photos is exactly what is stated above, those people's lives may now be in jeopardy or in fact, they may already be dead, from retaliation and not just from the insurgents but possibly their friends and neighbors.  If we oppose our friend or neighbor's politicla beliefs, we argue about it on the cvo forum.  Over there, standing up for what you believe can get you killed!  (In our current society, when someone in the USA puts a fellow human up on a god-like pedestal it is only acceptable if they are a rock star or actor!)  

With the internet and how "open-minded" everyone is, they don't have to intercept radio transmissions!  They can just google "US Military activity" and get just about any information they want!  I had a friend in customs overseas and I thought he should have been fired and court-martialed for some of the photos he sent me via email.  I thought they should have been kept proprietary to the military, and those did not relate to human beings at all!  Civilians all over the world have camera phones and digital cameras the size of business cards and they just feel the need to share everything!  How do you think the photos of soldier abuse became public?

I'm not saying they shouldn't take the photos because I believe if more information and photos had been made public after Vietnam, it would have helped the families of our soldiers know a little bit more about what they went through and help them cope with the horror of what they saw/did.  The same with WWI, WWII, the Korean War (which is still going on, btw) and so forth!  The sad part about history is it repeats itself.  The attitudes towards our soldiers in Iraq are similar to the attitudes many had towards our soldiers in 'Nam.  One difference is that there is a little more resentment and animosity towards the soldiers because many see their involvement as "voluntary" because they were not drafted.  I know two young soldiers whose wives were not supportive because they thought they should have "got out" when their original enlistment was up.  I know of one wife who thought her husband should have claimed mental problems so he'd be medically discharged so he could come home and help her with their child.  He wouldn't.  After he came back from his deployment and was stationed back close to home, she told him she didn't love him and that she was leaving him for someone else "who take care of us while you were gone.  HE didn't leave us.  You didn't have to go."  He "kept on keeping on" and no one realized how hard he took it until he put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger.  I hear similar stories every week from friends, acquantances or students.

I said all of that to say this!  After watching the movie "V for Vengeance" based in Europe some years in the future and listening to them refer to the US as "the former United States," I realized that it wouldn't hurt us to take a few lessons from other countries!  There are very few "causes" that the majority feel so strongly about that that they'd risk their life.  (And then it's normally to save a tree or a historic monument or the right to wear stripes with polka dots!)  They don't watch it on the evening news and complain about it over their cheerios, they get involved and do something about it!

~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »

Cuthbertss, I too told myself - stay away from this one.
V - I'm not sure what you're saying but that's ok
BB - You're perfectly clear

This tragic affair just leaves me numb and confused. There are a whole gang of folks that want to kill us all. There's a whole bunch of folks that just want to just get on w/ their lives.
I sit here watching folks leave the church across the street, perhaps my answers lie there, and I think "kill them all and let God sort them out" is not the teachings I've learned. The idea of just bailing and letting the bullies of the world kill the innocent to heap more destruction upon each other and us does not sit well at all. The images of Ground Zero, the Pentagon and Shanksville burn vividly in my mind. I confess I just don't have an answer to this. And yet our men and women continue to get maimed and to die. Early in this war it was stated that the American people don't have the stomach for it. I bravely told myself "whatever it takes". That was before our body count started climbing. That was before my coworker's nephew came home w/ half of his brain gone. Now I'm not so sure I do. Like BB stated, I'm 100% behind our troops and try to support them w/ donations, acts of kindness, and the like. That's the one constant in my mind.
I just keep praying for someone wiser than I to come up w/ a solution and for them to do it soon.
Maybe it's just not possible, maybe the hatred runs too deep. Maybe the power brokers of the world just won't let it happen. Maybe man is evil and evil won't die until the rapture. Maybe it's just the stars need to line up right. Whatever, I pray it ends soon and we can go back to riding our scoots w/o the divisiveness that this war has brought upon us.

Rambling done. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:40:53 PM by ultrabluz »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 01:37:57 PM »

Cuthbertss, I too told myself - stay away from this one.
V - I'm not sure what you're saying but that's ok
BB - You're perfectly clear

This tragic affair just leaves me numb and confused. There are a whole gang of folks that want to kill us all. There's a whole bunch of folks that just want to just get on w/ their lives.
I sit here watching folks leave the church across the street, perhaps my answers lie there, and I think "kill them all and let God sort them out" is not the teachings I've learned. The idea of just bailing and letting the bullies of the world kill the innocent to heap more destruction upon each other and us does not sit well at all. The images of Ground Zero, the Pentagon and Shanksville burn vividly in my mind. I confess I just don't have an answer to this. And yet our men and women continue to get maimed and to die. Early in this war it was stated that the American people don't have the stomach for it. I bravely told myself "whatever it takes". That was before our body count started climbing. That was before my coworker's nephew came home w/ half of his brain gone. Now I'm not so sure I do. Like BB stated, I'm 100% behind our troops and try to support them w/ donations, acts of kindness, and the like. That's the one constant in my mind.
I just keep praying for someone wiser than I to come up w/ a solution and for them to do it soon.
Maybe it's just not possible, maybe the hatred runs too deep. Maybe the power brokers of the world just won't let it happen. Maybe man is evil and evil won't die until the rapture. Maybe it's just the stars need to line up right. Whatever, I pray it ends soon and we can go back to riding our scoots w/o the divisiveness that this war has brought upon us.

Rambling done. Thanks.

Screamin,
            Normally I don't spend a post just to declare " good post " to anyone, but I've said enough on this thread and what you said resonated with me, so yeah  Good Post Dude  Take care and I guess all we can do is say prayers for those willing to make the kind of sacrifices it takes to get the job done.

B  B

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 01:51:09 PM »

Damn..
Once again i find myslef sucked into the Vortex of this thread.... >:(

Short version of my personal thoughts on this...
I am tired of my friends and colleagues coming home missing parts or draped in a flag...  and yes, Iraq and AFG are ugly messes... and there is no clear line that we cross that says "finished" or "won" and their probably never will be.
It is an overused cliche... but there is a great deal of truth to the away game theory..... we are fighting the away game and probably will be for a very long time.... every determined terrorist that we take out on someone elses soil is one that isnt here trying to blow up the Sears Tower; light his sneakers on fire on a plane; or spread anthrax in your junk mail.  Are there still plenty of them here? you bet your boots...
but imagine what it would be like if we tried the Isolationist game like we did prior to WWII; bring our guys home and focus inwardly?
anyone remember how that one went?
We, the american people have no patience or stamina for a protracted conflict; they want results right now;;; just like TV ;solved in 60 minutes or less, including commercial breaks.  This aint that kind of fight, and will never be that kind of fight...  [smiley=soapbox.gif]  

we didnt start this thing...  and we probably should have acted long before the fall of 2001 to take action against those who try to destroy us;  but hindsite is in fact 20/20.  If we had treted the events of 2001 like the previous "attacks" on america;  lobbed a few cruise missiles and gone back to our normal way of life..what else would have happened?

as to the individual Soldiers, Sailors Airmen , and Marines...  active, guard and reserve...  every single one of them understands the risks they take in the profession of arms..  each and every one of them volunteered to accept those risks... for as many reasons as there are people... is it horrible that bad things happen to these good people? of course it is... it makes me ill just thinking about it...but where would we be as a nation without these amazing young men and women who are willing to take these risks?   I am very very impressed with how we as a nation take care of them.. and treat them.  I lost my composure in the airport in ATL..the entire place stopped what they were doing to applaud for returning Soldiers walking through the airport... same thing happened in San Diego,,,  I was on a plane full of amputee Soldiers, going to some sporting event there...the whole place stopped and treted them with a great deal of dignity and respect.

{ I am deliberately avoiding discussion of strategic policies or the folks who make the decisions...  there isn't a lot of point to it, and oh, by the way, I can't anyway.}

OK, i have vented my spleen...now can we talk about bikes or something?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 06:04:06 PM »

Scot,
       Yes buddy we can talk about bikes and I would prefer to do so. This thread was actually the first political thread I've been involved with since Maggie Valley. Didn't intend to get sucked into it either, but one of the things this site is to me is point / counterpoint
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 08:06:10 PM by SPIDERMAN »

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 09:43:54 PM »

Screamin,
HA HA!  All I was saying is that unless we've served in the military have no idea what it is like over there and there is a reason that some of those photos never make the press.  Some people see it as the press doesn't want us to see the good that is coming out of the war.  That's not the only reason.

The other point I was trying to make is that the media only gives us parts of the story and even molds our thoughts by their choice of adjectives.  And by watching a futuristic movie that is based upon what the world will become if America fails as a country made me realize how little I (and the general population) do to improve the welfare of this country, our government, etc.  I vote.  That's it.  I make a stand every few years.  Wow!  What a hero!  Some don't even do that, but they have no problem criticizing our soldiers that are DOING THEIR JOB!!  I was suggesting that maybe instead of venting on the web, that maybe it is time we actually DO SOMETHING to support our beliefs regardless of what they are and which side we stand on.  Do some research, contact your representatives, write letters, attend community and/or political events, start a campaign, run for office, whatever you are qualified to do!  I was just trying to say NICELY....Actions speak louder than words!

I wasn't raised to believe "Kill them all and let God sort them out" either.  However, in Biblical times, there were many examples where God did just that!  I also read part of THE MAN's diary that had to decide whether or not to drop the A-bomb.  He had equations jotted down weighing the pros and cons.  He said he had to do it because it was the only way to end the war and he could not continue to tell mothers their sons were not coming home.  I will not criticize any man that has the weight of the world on his soldiers.  I make bad decisions under the stress of 4 boys!  I can't imagine what their job is like!  I just pray that the good Lord gives him the wisdom of Solomon, the patience of Job, and the help of a few good men!

I fully support our troops.  However, I think we've toyed with Hussein and Bin Laden too long and been a little too diplomatic along the way.    

P.S.  Remember the friend I was on the way to pick up at the airport the day I had my car accident back in April?  He's been called back up again.  He goes back over in February.  When he leaves, he will not even have been home a year.  He hated every minute he was over there, but he's going back without one complaint.  
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 02:54:26 AM »

[highlight]and immediately eject the "imbedded" media so they can do what they need to do without thousands of Monday morning quarterbacks.... [/highlight][/highlight] What Hoist said!

Not to forget the retired, and I mean tired, paid by the media, "experts", aka retired general officers as well. Let the camels sort out that place. [smiley=soapbox.gif]  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

hogasm

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 07:19:59 PM »

The MoFo terrorist didn't have any concerns on 9/11 when they attacked us and there was not a war going on in this country. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I'd like to get all our troops out of there then [highlight]push the button that would send the bombs/missiles and anything else over there that would end the whole thing.[/highlight]
[smiley=soapbox.gif]

Damn D00d, I did not think you would have this rage inside you

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 07:24:16 PM »

Damn D00d, I did not think you would have this rage inside you
Once a Marine, always a Marine. Add to that that I lost 343 Brothers (FDNY), along w/all the other innocent victims on 9/11 there is not a lot of love lost for terrorist.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cigarmike

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I'd like to get all our troops out of there then push the button that would send the bombs/missiles and anything else over there that would end the whole thing.

And risk wiping out all that perfectly good oil ??? Whats wrong with you?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:30:38 AM by cigarmike »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 11:33:28 AM »

What happened to the good old days of Manifest Destiny. We've always taken what we needed! Damn politicians. >:( Where's Patton when you need him? ;) Hoist!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 01:47:07 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 11:58:03 AM »

...............................................The MoFo terrorist didn't have any concerns on 9/11 when they attacked us and there was not a war going on in this country. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but [highlight]I'd like to get all our troops out of there then push the button that would send the bombs/missiles and anything else over there that would end the whole thing. [/highlight][smiley=soapbox.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
[size=36] [size=20][smiley=xyxthumbs.gif][/size][/size]

My only suggestion to add to that would be to send the folks who lied to the American people about the WMD's in Iraq over to ground zero right before you push the button.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »

After all the idiot terrorist are gone we go over there and start getting the oil a lot cheaper then what it is now.... Can you remember when gas was $.15/.20/.30 a gallon, wouldn't that be nice again? I don't know Mike that sounds good to me. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »

What happened to the good old days of Manifest Destiny. We've always taken what we needed! Damn politicians. >:( Where's Patton when you need him? ;) Hoist!
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2006, 09:15:59 AM »

Hate to break up the love fest, but go to Custom Sign Generator, scroll down to #155 "kids in car" and you can make them hold any sign you want. I attached mine
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 21 queries.