Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Technical Question -EFI Recalibration?  (Read 7559 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Technical Question -EFI Recalibration?
« on: January 20, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »

Hey guys,

I was looking over my bike purchase paperwork (gotta get my bike registered) and noticed that there was no mention of EFI recalibration. When I was gonna buy the stock EFI Deuce, I had stipulated SEII's, Hi-Flow Air cleaner, and EFI recalibration. When I changed my order to the CVO, all I stipulated was SEII's (think I was still in shock I was actually buying the bike). So my questions are:

1.) Since the stock deuce has stock air cleaner, and when it is changed out to Hi-flow, is that why the EFI recalibration is required or suggested? Too much for the EFI to adjust to both changes in intake and exhaust?

2.) The CVO Deuce comes with "Spun Aluminum Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, timer, and derby cover inserts." Is that a/the hi-flow air cleaner?

3.) If it is a hi-flow air cleaner, is that why the EFI recalibration was not done? Does the EFI automatically adjust to the SEII's in that case since it is just adjusting to decreased back presure from new pipes?

I mention this because I did notice that my bike had a tendency to stall when at idle and sitting on jiffy stand, and also seemed kinda rough at ultra low revs (like when practicing very slow speed figure 8's).  

Thanks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Technical Question -EFI Recalibration?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 10:55:05 PM »

I'll take a stab at this Psycho.

No motorcycle comes with a high flow air cleaner.  The bikes in stock format have to meet EPA regulations.

If you have the stock air cleaner and changed the exhaust do you need a reflash?  PROBABLY not but the only way to know that for sure is a dyno run to take a look at the air/fuel readings.  If you don't do a dyno run, then the fastest way you'll probably know is if your exhaust starts turning colors prematurely or in different spots of the exhaust.

Go ahead and break down and get the high flow air cleaner, the reflash and your Sturgis reservations  ;D!!!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 10:07:19 PM »

I'll take a stab at this Psycho.

No motorcycle comes with a high flow air cleaner.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 11:25:30 PM »

Incorrect,
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 01:12:14 PM »

Incorrect,
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 02:53:49 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Stumpy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 10:48:58 PM »

O.K. now the blonde guy  is confused, I thought both my SERK and Duece (still in stock form) came from factory with California emision set-up as were all '03 Screamers ? If they were which type of air/exhast/cam is applicable in the write up? Later !

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 11:56:01 PM »

Stumpy first let me say welcome to the board.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is......hell, I'm not sure what your question is. lol  But I do know that all the bikes come from the MoCo meeting Federal EPA standards (which basically means that they don't run as well as they can with just a couple minor mods....mainly air cleaner, exhast and chip or calibration).  

If you look in the catalog a Screamin Eagle parts (or any performance parts) anything with the crossed racing flags specifies that it is for "off road use only", which means that it's designed for racing.  The reason that it's for off road use only is due to the fact that installed, it doesn't meet federal clean air standards.....which makes it illegal.  What you choose to do with the parts is your business.

The screamin eagle parts that don't have the crossed flags is legal for street use.....that's what comes in the bikes in stock position.

I hope this helps.

West Coast GTG   

Stumpy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 01:28:07 AM »

Thxs!  On my second read of your previous post, I clued in on the proper class of torque/hp. for my stock set-up. I found on one of our other sites the tech I wanted on my SERK ("103, WHAT'S ACTUALLY IN IT" ). Is there somewhere with the same info on my '03 S.E. Deuce. Glad to be on board, finally found out why people learn to type with more than one finger!! Later..

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 09:08:20 PM »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 10:53:04 PM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 10:18:02 PM »

In the long run, it serves as a community of people with which I might become part of down the road a bit. I mean lets face it, eventually I will have to go to Sturgis. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 10:25:41 PM »

However, for the purposes of this string, JC appears to have deepened his investigation not only to clear up any potential misunderstandings/miscommunications but to further his own education as well as those who might be following this string. I just think that's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 10:28:29 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 10:59:14 PM »

...I already thought you are a part of this community.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 11:06:53 PM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 11:57:44 AM »

Was just funnin with you Psycho.....twisted humor.  You have a private message up at the top.

West Coast GTG   

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 09:55:34 PM »

... the Stage II 1550cc "Street Legal"
kit produces about about 85Ft-Lbs and 72Hp (vs stock at about 75Ft-Lbs and 65Hp).
This is essentially what the SE Deuce has.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 10:01:34 AM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 10:03:54 PM »

JC. Let me see if I understand this. I have been thinking about doing the hi-flow while keeping emissions regs in mind. So with the hi-flow/recal I'm gonna increase approx. 15ft-lbs torque and 8 HP? That doesn't seem to be very significant -- don't ya think? I'm not sure it's worth taking the bike out of compliance with regards to emissions for what appears to be an insignificant increase in performance.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 10:08:01 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.