Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: 110 Needs a New Crank  (Read 16608 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: 110 Needs a New Crank
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »

We have not witnessed the actual rod bearings failing here, but rather the flywheels shift, and whip the pump and cam plate to death to the point when a client will bring one in, the common complaint is a noisy valvetrain, from lack of oil pressure to the lifter area.
I suppose that if they were ridden long enough in the event that the pump was getting pounded, lack of pressure thru the pinion shaft, not bleeding the proper amount thru the rod bearings would/could burn them up.
In extreme cases(and have not seen this in a 110"er)the wheels will shift so much that they we cause the female rad to bind on the flywheel halves.
As Don has mentioned, the side/side is not a deal breaker, but ANY up/down that is felt will be.
Scott
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:50:01 PM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Now two non-believers.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »

I stand corrected, you guys build 'em for a living, I don't. I'm not being pissy here, just that I appreciate your expertise and your input.

The rods that the Tech showed me in the in the prior months (not mine) with the jugs and pistons removed, the rods would stay in any position that you moved them to and not flop down to the cases, and when you moved the rods, they were rough, like the rollers had flat spots.

Is the lateral play so much more in the front because they are siamesed rods?

On my '09 the Tech and the GM did tell me what the specs are and what mine were, and they are out of spec.

And like I said here several times, I agree with you all, that Darkhorse and aftermarket is the way to go.

I'll probably have 20k+mi. on this bike in the next 2 years, when it fails again, I'll definitely go that route.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »

I stand corrected, you guys build 'em for a living, I don't. I'm not being pissy here, just that I appreciate your expertise and your input.

The rods that the Tech showed me in the in the prior months (not mine) with the jugs and pistons removed, the rods would stay in any position that you moved them to and not flop down to the cases, and when you moved the rods, they were rough, like the rollers had flat spots.

Is the lateral play so much more in the front because they are siamesed rods?

On my '09 the Tech and the GM did tell me what the specs are and what mine were, and they are out of spec.

And like I said here several times, I agree with you all, that Darkhorse and aftermarket is the way to go.

I'll probably have 20k+mi. on this bike in the next 2 years, when it fails again, I'll definitely go that route.

"when it fails again, I'll definitely go that route"     

???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »

???
:wall:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »

???

ESP will fix it again.

We all know about Murphy's Law. Ed's Law is that Murphy was an optimist  :nixweiss:
Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:56 PM »

stay in any position

OK that is FUBARd but repairable by a specialty shop

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »

HDGearHead,

What actually failed in your bottom end? rod bearings?

How many miles at failure?

What is involved in installing a Timken? Does it take a machine shop, or can a dealer do it?

Thanks for the info

A skilled/quality dealer tech can install the Timken.  Darkhorse or T-Man can also do it for you (as well as the crank/flywheel work as well).

Darkhorse http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/index.html
T-Man Flywheel Rebuilding http://tmanperformance.com/?page_id=932
T-Man Timken Insert and Installation http://tmanperformance.com/?page_id=944

My entire engine was rebuilt at 12K miles due to a lifter failure.  Significant metal contamination through-out the motor.  

Essentially ESP replaced everything but the case halves, cylinders, heads and rocker boxes.  I sent my entire top-end to T-Man for the CVO Street Performer kit treatment.  The dealer worked with me on the performance and reliability mods that I wanted.  I only paid out of pocket for the difference in parts prices.  

IMHO the Harley C lifters were garbage.  I installed S&S lifters with limiters during the rebuild.  While you're in there, consider installing adjustable pushrods and replacing your OE HD lifters with Fueling or S&S as well.  

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:07:58 AM by HDGearHead »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »

you can lead a hourse to water but you cant make him drink :-\
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

zn14

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »

let me ask all of you for advice, BUT I don't plan on taking any of it?????????????????

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

let me ask all of you for advice, BUT I don't plan on taking any of it?????????????????

Actually, if you go back and read the first post of this thread he didn't ask for our advice, he was just reporting what had happened.  We didn't wait for him to ask for advice, we offered it up whether he asked or not.  When it's all said and done, it's his bike and his money, thus it's his decision.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »

i agree, his bike, his peace of mind.

i have left my bike completely alone during the esp - that ends in august

after that what gets done will not be for "more POWER" but for "last longer"

for sure ill do the lifters the week before the esp is up & ill probably pay the dealer to do the lifters - then if they find anything its covered. next winter ill do inner cam bearings and check the crank.

anything more than that and id be highly inclined to do a factory reman, its not very expensive, done by s&s, comes with another year of warranty.

esp is sort of a bargain with the devil, i promise to leave the engine alone - you promise to fix anything that goes wrong....

to

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »

Actually, if you go back and read the first post of this thread he didn't ask for our advice, he was just reporting what had happened.  We didn't wait for him to ask for advice, we offered it up whether he asked or not.  When it's all said and done, it's his bike and his money, thus it's his decision.

Jerry

Jerry,
Thank you for reading,
I was going to say; blo me! to one of the posters.

All can see in my avatar; 3 CVOs, and in my introduction, "bought a Sporty in '76, never been without a HD since, 'had the Maxed Out GPZ 1100, bikes my whole life"...

'Have a good bit of miles, more than most, not as much as some...

The '01 FXDWG2 Switchblade is my "hot rod" ( > $8k in the ALL Screamin' Eagle drive train) and it is into the '10s as it traps near 120. (the FXDWG2 has "smoked" a built V-Rod, and everything else that I have ever run across) We built the Switchblade in '05-'06 and, I know that there is newer technology out there now, but nobody has gotten into my feelings yet... The FXDWG2 is REALLY QUICK with the underdriven 6sp and the 150 rear tire, It's "all hookin' up"

I'm pushin' 60 and 'don't really care 'bout running that hard  anymore, that's why the FXDWG2 is for sale. I just want the '09 to get out of it's own way.

My Dad, the Senior Master Chief Machinist Mate, (when i was a young buck, reading Hot Rod magazine and feeding into 0-60 & 1/4 mi. numbers) explained to me that ease of maintenance and longevity were "performance characteristics"

Of course, I am disappointed with the longevity of the '09, and my good friend's Skunk, but out of how many of the hundreds of thousands of Harleys produced ever have a failure like this? We all know there is a lot of "Sky is Falling" threads on all the forums, not just this one.

After 50k mi., I have only made one ESP claim on the '05 SEEG, and that was to update the cam chain tensioners, so far ESP is "up" on that one. I will probably be "up" on the ESP on the '09

After 18 years as a mechanic (following in my father's footsteps), I don't bust knuckles anymore, and I like having ESP, at this point in my life. Also, I think that ESP is a selling point, if I choose to do so.

I've also heard that the stock 6 speeds have some issues.

Again, for the last time- When (if?) it blows up again, ESP will pay for it and I will either throw the "kitchen sink" at the '09, and get a rebate for the remainder of the ESP, or go back stock and get rid of it.

AGOF to aGOF

jeff mckinney

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 07:12:50 PM »

If you went with an out of the box,not modded se crank,and paid the difference,would that not void your warranty?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »

Jerry,
Thank you for reading,
I was going to say; blo me! to one of the posters.

All can see in my avatar; 3 CVOs, and in my introduction, "bought a Sporty in '76, never been without a HD since, 'had the Maxed Out GPZ 1100, bikes my whole life"...

'Have a good bit of miles, more than most, not as much as some...

The '01 FXDWG2 Switchblade is my "hot rod" ( > $8k in the ALL Screamin' Eagle drive train) and it is into the '10s as it traps near 120. (the FXDWG2 has "smoked" a built V-Rod, and everything else that I have ever run across) We built the Switchblade in '05-'06 and, I know that there is newer technology out there now, but nobody has gotten into my feelings yet... The FXDWG2 is REALLY QUICK with the underdriven 6sp and the 150 rear tire, It's "all hookin' up"

I'm pushin' 60 and 'don't really care 'bout running that hard  anymore, that's why the FXDWG2 is for sale. I just want the '09 to get out of it's own way.

My Dad, the Senior Master Chief Machinist Mate, (when i was a young buck, reading Hot Rod magazine and feeding into 0-60 & 1/4 mi. numbers) explained to me that ease of maintenance and longevity were "performance characteristics"

Of course, I am disappointed with the longevity of the '09, and my good friend's Skunk, but out of how many of the hundreds of thousands of Harleys produced ever have a failure like this? We all know there is a lot of "Sky is Falling" threads on all the forums, not just this one.

After 50k mi., I have only made one ESP claim on the '05 SEEG, and that was to update the cam chain tensioners, so far ESP is "up" on that one. I will probably be "up" on the ESP on the '09

After 18 years as a mechanic (following in my father's footsteps), I don't bust knuckles anymore, and I like having ESP, at this point in my life. Also, I think that ESP is a selling point, if I choose to do so.

I've also heard that the stock 6 speeds have some issues.

Again, for the last time- When (if?) it blows up again, ESP will pay for it and I will either throw the "kitchen sink" at the '09, and get a rebate for the remainder of the ESP, or go back stock and get rid of it.

AGOF to aGOF

Blow is spelt "blow" not "blo".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.