Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: winter maintenance  (Read 3223 times)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
winter maintenance
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:54:17 PM »

My ultra with sidecar is over 30k now. stock engine, well, stock everything.  I am hoping to tackle changing the final drive before spring - 30-68 probably. Final drive ratio is the one thing that is really bad on the 07, my earlier sidecar rigs all had better final drive ratios.  - id go 30-70 if i could do it with a stock belt and harley pulleys.

The questions:
  1 I am thinking of changing lifters. [probably S&S] Is there any reason to disturb the cam chest if the lifters look good when I remove them? Is there any reason not to just pull the stock pushrods and reinstall them? when it was brand new it had a oiling carry over problem really bad - got new pistons, rings, cylinders, new oil pump. it uses zero oil. runs perfect and i want to keep it that way.
  2 I suspect that if i remove the compensator [still stone stock 07 and working] i should replace with current compensator?
 3 if i find any loose, not perfect anything in the trans, ill do a baker door, primary bearing, and final drive bearing. - i am getting clutch lever walking more and more the last couple years.
a sidecar bike is heavy - riding it nice and smooth is rough service [and i ride it 80 occasionally on the freeway - has to be straight road for that] - is there anything else i should be looking at when i have it apart considering budget is important - durability is more important.
thanks in advance.

J.D.

Re: winter maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »

1. Think about upgrading the inner cam bearings.  Not much more cost or labor to upgrade the stock camshafts to a mild bolt-in.
2.  As far as compensators, I'd say replace it when it gets noisy (whereas it's better to be proactive on the lifters).
3.  Transmission should be ok at 30k but not uncommon for that shifter shaft lever seal to weep.  Not sure though if the extra weight of the side car could have a negative effect.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »

the compensator has to be removed to get to the trans sprocket.. im just wondering about putting it back - they told me they added a extra spring back when it was new so its not "per spec" but modified by a mechanic who has long since retired..........

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »

Might not be a bad idea to document exactly what is in there but I don't typically replace a compensator as a preventive maintenance but rather when they start making noise.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 01:20:45 AM »

i don't exactly hear very well... sigh... 79 sportster with straight pipes... 77 glide with shorties  etc.....

so, in reality ill never hear anything go wrong, ill find out when it quits moving on my 2000 the fist sign the cam bearings failed was poor throttle response - never heard a single thing.

so how do i tell if the compensator has a problem? is it possible to get the primary off and leave the compensator untouched?

*sigh*

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »

Yes, you need to be proactive on the camchest.  If you hear noise the damage is already done.  Whereas on the compensator, it'll rap for quite awhile before any major problems.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »

- for sure replace the cam bearings.  I believe S&S offers a kit with cam bearing and gasket.
- check crank run-out while you're in there
- personally I would change the compensator.  It's just a matter of time and while you have it apart you might as well change it.
- Consider adding a stiffer clutch spring.  SE spring or the one used for the tri-cycle are slightly heavier springs
- S&S lifters are a good choice.  Stock pushrods will be fine, but S&S adjustable are nice easier install and you can set pre-load with better accuracy.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 08:40:22 PM »

over and above what has to be dismantled to change the lifters.. [the lifters come out the top]

to change the cam bearings i have to:
  remove the sidecar [not a simple task] 
  remove the exhaust completely
  then remove the cover, oil pump, and cams

IF i see any problems on the cam lobes...... well then obviously the scope and budget will increase - dramatically.

with both the cam bearings and the compensator its having to remove something that is working perfectly OK that gives me pause - the scope expansion and the number of parts needing to be dealt with climbs really fast - along with costs.

IF i decided to install reverse - then ill have the sidecar and exhaust all removed already and its worth the risk of getting the pump perfectly aligned to replace the bearings - but i won't consider doing the reverse unless i find a issue with the trans, main drive gear, etc where it has to all come apart.

the "got to do's" are lifters and gearing. the gearing has driven me crazy for years and its time to deal with it. still have to decide 30-68 or 30-70  a chart i have says i can use a stock belt on either gearing option - apparently 30-70 may be more futzing with spacers etc - the 30-68 is just a sportster sprocket.  however trike gearing is 30-70 so.....

Nocvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 05:50:56 AM »

Remove the sidecar aye, oh well, teach ya to ride on the wrong side of the road   :D

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »

for some work - its possible to remove the front suspension bracket from the body and strap the body straight up in the air to access the right side....

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »

I don't have a lot to offer however I recommend replacing the compensator with the OEM HD updated part. Last revision was 2014 and it has an oiling tray added. 2007 was a bad year for comps and the added spring idea is not new or worth the trouble. Run Formula+ or Spectro 85W in the primary.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »

changing the belt and gearing i see i have to remove the swing arm  - adds a LOT of work with a sidecar bike..   [the swingers bolt bracket IS the sidecar mount] adds hours and hours of work to take the sidecar off - and put it on and bleed the brakes and deal with the wiring.. sigh..    I'm considering chain? all my old bikes had chains - and while they were kind of a mess they really never gave me any trouble.  i can get harley 30 -68 pulleys for the stock 1" belt - but to go 30-70 the pulley is wider so ill have to mess with making sure of tire clearance...  i should be able to run a 1" belt in the wider pulley, but will the belt being able to wonder around cause problems? hmmm

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »

if you have pause about the compensator, then you wait for it to fail.
Problem with the cam bearing is, if it fails it will likely grenade the engine.  Removing the side car will be the least of your worries then.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »

well, that is THE rub, swimbo will allow a new long block if the engine grenades, but changing parts to keep it "from" blowing up - she can't see that.   she never drives, just rides, so the gearing problem doesn't bother her at all. i have enough bux in my stash that i can do lifters, and gearing, and possibly the compensator.. after that it bleeds out of "my" stash of cash into "our" stash of cash and thats a whole nother deal.

If i find something wrong with the trans - i think the trans is fine - but if, then it will be pretty easy to get reverse, cause she does hate to help push it backwards.....

my solution to the speedometer being off is easy - gps program on my phone - that is providing her tunes -.... nearly free

lifters are so cheap - she wont notice - its a act of congress to get a tire - one of our friends have to complain to her about the state of a tire - then its why didn't i do the tire, she asked "don't you take my safety seriously?!".  >:(  so we rode off together get a tire put on - she paid the bill, no problem...........

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 08:09:23 AM »

Speechless.
I don’t think it’s the bike maintenance that you need to worry about!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.