Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: winter maintenance  (Read 3225 times)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: winter maintenance
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »

everybody is happy when swimbo is happy.   

swimbo knows nothing about maintenance.  about 5 years ago i was going to put a new trans in my pickup - omg is what she said about the price, the complete end of the world - she got me a new truck because she couldn't stomach the trans..  she pays all the bills - takes care of all that stuff.... does a really good job, really, i did it for 20 years but it makes her extremely uncomfortable if she doesn't know exactly what is going on - balances the check book to the penny - if its a penny off she will spend the entire weekend if it takes that to fix the penny.

i told her a couple years ago that i either had to do lifters or risk a new engine - no way could i do lifters - but if it "actually blew up" then a new engine is ok.. the quotes show that she simply does not believe, not for a second, that lifters would blow up a engine.. two years ago, for six months, i told her we needed a new front tire - omg thats too expensive and it looks fine, "lets just drive careful"  [sidecar bike tires wear odd, just flat in the center, looks fine to her] - one of our friends saw the tire and gave me a hard time - i said "talk to her" - we drove straight to the dealer and put on a new tire.. it simply has to be her idea. drives me nuts.

so.. im going to do lifters and the drive belt and simply not cop to doing it. the cash is stashed in my sons account.......two states away......

she always has a awesome jacket  - and always has a cool helmet... and nice gloves..  ROTFLMAOFF

its going to get worse - all my riding buddies are dying off, nobody to tell her it needs maintenance.. sigh.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »

Why would anyone post a story like this?

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 02:41:04 AM »

I don't know if you are really serious or not but if so, either man up and buy tires when needed or park it before you, her or someone else gets hurt or killed. But I'm guessing you are not serious because everyone I know would be too embarrassed to post that if it was true.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »

Wow.  I can not even fathom living like that.  Then again, I do all our bills.

When my wife says she needs a new tire on her bike, I tell her to get one.  I do not even double check.

She does not tell me how to spend money, or what I need or do not need. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »

Wow.  I can not even fathom living like that.  Then again, I do all our bills.

When my wife says she needs a new tire on her bike, I tell her to get one.  I do not even double check.

She does not tell me how to spend money, or what I need or do not need. 

That's clear Dave by looking at your  signature. lol. If others choose to live that way it their business except they need to draw the line when it comes to safety related  expenditures or their next post may be on the "Rider down" thread.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »

this must be two beers brother …. lmao 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »

i live in a camper most of the summer, making money - my wife takes care of everything, i trust her with everything. but she thinks i like shiny parts.... so..   my friends usually set her straight, then i don't have to do it. i figured this crowd would see that if you can pass the decision on, you never have to take the blame..  i can't be the only one who lets one of the guys tell her its needing tires, or whatever... seriously? im the only one who figured that out?   they can tell her the truth, and not have to sleep with her....

of course my friends are getting old, and dropping dead...     the reason i posted what i did was being asked why im cheap. and guys keep answering questions im not asking..  so i explained.

back to reality, from my 79 sportster bought new in 78 to my 77 glide in the 80's to the 2000 to the 2007 ive ridden mostly stock, mostly on marginal tires, mostly on the cheap. every state west of chicago plus most of canada.   if there is any tread on a tire at all its probably ok.   the last two bikes are belt the first two were chain. i "think" when it comes to it ill do the cheapest - but belt if its close. so ive asked opinion on chain conversion...  i find adjusting belts a complete PITA, but chains don't last as long.    my concern about everything durability...

the inner cam bearings i hear about all the time, but not often on stock cams.  what is the balance of changing those bearings vs having to take the oil pump apart to get at them?? i hear lots of rumors of oil pumps not being installed right - this one was off when new, lots of blow by new, warranty redid all of it - and after they redid it, its been completely perfect. is is really worth it to remove a perfect pump to change those bearings???   it sure seems grey to me.

lifters on the other hand appear to be a problem.  ive done years and years of adjusting lifters - what a total pain. id rather use stock pushrods, its only a little labor to take the tank off to change the lifters.  - the current bike only has 35k on it because im becoming a old fart.   the questions i pose are in light of riding this bike till i can't ride any more.  i never speed any more - i ride because i still like to, not because i give a c(*&^ what i look like any more.  its not like 1980 picking up girls...  i have to take it apart soon, and i want to replace what will bite me in the next 40k, not what a hot rodding kid would wreck.

for sure - belt, both sprockets, lifters, plugs, plug wires, shifter seal, main drive gear seal, inner primary bearing and seal, rear tire,   maybe the compensator... what else will really make a difference?

ive ridding 34000+miles in 4th and 5th gear  never use 6th at all  - do i need to be thinking of taking the trans out and replacing the needle bearings???? 

its a stone stock 07 ultra with a  sidecar, me and swimbo 590lb together. and it still has a stock compensator, and still has the horrible stock gearing... and its not broken - trying to stave off something breaking - and yes she promised if it grenades i get a short block.   id still rather not.

the 00 grenaded the cam chest - hence why i have a 07... - so im a bit jumpy...  can't replace the bike - SS is on the horizon so no new anything any more.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 12:26:28 AM »

I don't have a lot to offer however I recommend replacing the compensator with the OEM HD updated part. Last revision was 2014 and it has an oiling tray added. 2007 was a bad year for comps and the added spring idea is not new or worth the trouble. Run Formula+ or Spectro 85W in the primary.
agree!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.