Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cylinder Studs  (Read 1097 times)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Cylinder Studs
« on: February 17, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »

'03 Road King TC88 motor.  Built it to 95" in 2007.  70K on it and I have a small oil leak at the back of the rear cylinder.  Shop that did the machine work suggested that I replace the cylinder studs during the head gasket replacement.  Looks pretty straightforward - 4 studs.  Anything I should expect going into this with steel studs into an aluminum case for 16 years?

Thanks.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Jordan1200

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Re: Cylinder Studs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »

'03 Road King TC88 motor.  Built it to 95" in 2007.  70K on it and I have a small oil leak at the back of the rear cylinder.  Shop that did the machine work suggested that I replace the cylinder studs during the head gasket replacement.  Looks pretty straightforward - 4 studs.  Anything I should expect going into this with steel studs into an aluminum case for 16 years?

Thanks.
When I did mine I had real good luck when I heated with a heat gun at the base of the stud area. I one person heat area and the other break the stud free after heat was on it for a couple minutes.
This was on studs from a 99 sportster replaced last year so pretty much 20 years on the bike.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2010 Street Glide 96" (Canadian edition)
S&S 106 Big Bore
Stage 2 ACR Heads
Fueling Oil Pump
Fueling Cam plate and
Fueling 543 Gear Drive cams
Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1 Exhaust

MCE

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »

A propane plumbers torch will work too. Warm the aluminum, try not to heat the studs.

fyi Good luck!

MCE

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »

Thanks.

You can get a stud removal tool from Snap-on or another tool company. That will help allot too.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »

I wouldn't even mess with them,as long as they take the torque,their not pulling out the threads

MCE

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »

I wouldn't even mess with them,as long as they take the torque,their not pulling out the threads

I tend to agree with that theory.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 24 queries.