Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oiling System Twin Cam Question?  (Read 1191 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Oiling System Twin Cam Question?
« on: March 18, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »

On the Twin Cam oiling system, how much push is there back to the oil tank?  If running a remote oil tank mounted a bit higher than normal, will the pump have enough force to push the oil up a foot and a half?

Also, how does the oil reach the pump, via gravity or does the pump actually have some suck to it?

The reason I'm asking is that on my Harley powered car project coming up later this year, I may mount a reservoir on the top of a Hayden Oil Cooler mounted similar to vertical flow old time car radiator.  I would pump the oil into the four quart reservoir and then gravity flow or pump suck, through the cooler back to the motor.  This would be mounted to simulate a water cooled radiator mounted vertically in the body grill shell with the motor in front of it about 10" or so. 

I know, not fresh cool air, but I believe it will be more than enough as other similar applications are not even running an oil cooler, just a 5 quart oil tank under the bonnet.

This is actually an original Morgan Three Wheeler from the 30's and it had a Matchless water cooled motor, but you can kind of see from all of these that the motors are not that far forward of the grill area.  On the two above, the grill/radiator is just a fake front and does not even let air into the bonnet area.

So I would like to have a 4 quart tank running through around a 1 quart capacity oil cooler for better cooling and looks.  See any issues with the Twin Cam oiling system doing this minor change in pushing the oil just a bit further up than stock?

Thanks and have a great week guys!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oiling System Twin Cam Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »

The Twin Cams in Softails have no problem pumping oil back to the oil tank, and those tanks are at least a foot above the pump and probably more than a foot.  The oil pump is the same no matter which model bike it comes from.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »

The Twin Cams in Softails have no problem pumping oil back to the oil tank, and those tanks are at least a foot above the pump and probably more than a foot.  The oil pump is the same no matter which model bike it comes from.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks.

Does the oil pump have a fair amount of sucking power?  In the touring motor/trans combo the motor oil pan is located below the pump so I would guess the same pump has enough suck to keep the pump from cavitating.

I'm working with Hayden Oil Coolers on a potential cooler and just don't know how free flowing the oil will be flowing downward through the cooler.  I'm sure that it would gravity feed on its own, but not sure how many quarts per minute would be flowing.

Just one more question, how much oil is actually pumped through a Twin Cam when running at normal cruise speed, say 3000 rpms?  Are we looking at maybe a pint, quart or more through the motor.  This will give me an idea of how free flowing my cooler will need to be.

Thanks again Jerry for your input, greatly appreciated.

Have a great day.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »

Pumps create partial vacuum on the suction side, the only thing that pushes the liquid into that partial vacuum is the atmospheric pressure, which changes very little unless significant change in altitude. Or if the reservoir upstream of the pump is pressured or significantly elevated. Putting a restriction, similar to a radiator, creates a pressure drop on the suction feed that could cavitate the pump. Maybe a rule of thumb would be if the radiator combined orifice area of the tubes is two or three times greater than the standard suction side feed pipe on say a softail then you should be ok. Alternatively ask the radiator supplier to do a pressure drop calculation for your proposed installation.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:41:41 PM by johnmowcop »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »

Do most bike coolers run in the return line, or under pressure?  Or are they on the feed side, suction?

I'm not apposed to having it on the pressure side, it's going to cool more than without one.

If on the pressure side, my thoughts would be that I would cool the oil prior to dumping back into the reservoir, then being drawn back into the  motor.

What I'm going for is some that "looks" like a radiator out in plain sight and works without being tucked away under the car with a fan on it.

Does that open up my options?

Thanks for the input on my questions.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »

Seems like they are in series with the oil filter, I cannot make out whether upstream or downstream of the filter. I would guess upstream, someone on here must know the answer.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:11:50 PM by johnmowcop »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »

Anyone have a schematic of the Twin Cam oiling system?  I have one of the EVO and the Shovelhead, but I highly doubt they would be good for the Twin Cam motors.

Thanks!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.