Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: What is the cost to replace lifters?  (Read 24710 times)

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
What is the cost to replace lifters?
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Just reading some posts on lifters going bad and am wondering how much it costs to proactively have them replaced?

Scott

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Re: What is the cost to replace lifters?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

About $500.00 to $700.00  Should also change the cam bearings, and will need adjustable push rods. Nice when its done though.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »

Ditto on the cam bearings but I am not a fan of adjustable push rods.  I know many folks have them and are satisfied but I dislike them for several reasons:  they are expensive, they add weight to the already strained valve train, the lock nut(s) can get loose and the push rod lose its adjustment (happened to a couple guys I know).

If you are paying someone to do the wrenching the labor to remove the oem push rods from the top (and re-use your stock push rods) is about equal to the added cost of buying adjustable push rods.

I just feel better having a solid push rod I know can't cause problems.  And the oem pushrods are plenty strong enough and durable for the job.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »

Depends on what lifters you purchase and where.

A new set of lifters will be anywhere from $80-$200

Should replace the cam bearings while in there agreed.

There is nothing wrong with adjustable pushrods and sadly they are needed for some applications.

Pushrods are on the wrong end of the valvetrain to worry about as far as weight.....valve,valve spring,retainer weight is the concern.

With the valvesprings HD decided to use on the 110 engines having way too much seat and open pressure ,a set of stock length perfect fit pushrods at

$100 is a very good idea.

in a 110 I do not think the stock pushrods are quite up to snuff....
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »

Prices depend but will fall in line with the prices above. The problem always seems to be just changing lifters..... While ya have it apart it's a cheap time to change cams, and while your changing cams, you need a tune, and while tuning you really need the exhaust you want.....and...and...and..... Lifters are not bad if you can stop with just lifters....
Most great stores start with a bad decision

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »

You can change lifters with out getting into the cam chest for cheaper option.

Fantozi

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »

Why do you want to change your lifters?  Is there a reason besides the negative posts on the internet of other riders lifter failures?
This is a very small percentage of actual riders and they all have their different circumstances but if your not having any problems then leave them alone.

Personally, I would not touch them unless you have really high mileage on your scoot.  If you do decide to change the lifters its time to get a real cam in there and take care of the bearings and lifters at the same time. Save on all that labor and get it done at the same time with peace of mind.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »

Why do you want to change your lifters?  Is there a reason besides the negative posts on the internet of other riders lifter failures?
This is a very small percentage of actual riders and they all have their different circumstances but if your not having any problems then leave them alone.

Personally, I would not touch them unless you have really high mileage on your scoot.  If you do decide to change the lifters its time to get a real cam in there and take care of the bearings and lifters at the same time. Save on all that labor and get it done at the same time with peace of mind.

If you're referring to all Twin Cam motors, you're probably correct.  If you're referring to 110 Twin Cam motors, I disagree with your assessment.  I suspect the percentage of 110 Twin Cam lifter issues is more than a "small percentage"...  JMO...   :)  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »

I'd love to know how you know that "this is a very small percentage".  Do you have insider information from Harley warranty analysis perhaps?  How about inside information from CNA on all the engines they've paid to replace or repair due to lifter roller failures under the ESP?  What percentage failure rate do you consider insignificant?

Where there is smoke there is usually fire.  Not every 1999-2006 Twin Cam suffered cam chain tensioner failures that trashed the engine, but enough did that many of us chose to do regular inspections and even prophylactic changes to avoid trashing an entire engine.  Was that a bad choice on our part?  Without a magic looking glass to see into the future, no one really knows.  Of course the same can be said for many things in life.  We are left with the imperfect option of evaluating the risks as we currently know them, evaluating the cost of various actions including no action, and then deciding to either take preventive measures or just leave it to "fate".  It's called being prudent, cautious, whatever.  The opposite is often called being clueless or foolish.

Even though the OP didn't tell us what model and year bike he currently has, I think he has a 2009 CVO with a 110 engine.  IMHO if he has 20k miles or more it would be wise to at least investigate the idea of replacing the lifters.  If he doesn't have a service contract and would be on the hook for the entire repair cost if a lifter totaled the engine, I think $400 to replace the lifters with a high quality alternative would be very cheap insurance versus a $4k and up potential repair cost.  And that doesn't factor in any other costs if a failure were to happen out on the road somewhere. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »

Here's what a pre-fail bad lifter does to a cam in a 23,000 110 CVO.

You be the judge.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »

The question is really, "What is the cost of NOT replacing the lifters?" Probably thousands of $$$
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »

I appreciate all of the feedback.  As some of you suspect I am thinking of doing this to save the cost of a catastrophic failure.  Hopping up the cams and a better tune would also be nice while in the process.

Scott

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:03 PM »

I appreciate all of the feedback.  As some of you suspect I am thinking of doing this to save the cost of a catastrophic failure.  Hopping up the cams and a better tune would also be nice while in the process.

Scott

Scott, if you're thinking about just swapping out a set of lifters and aren't too concerned about tackling basic mechanical chores a lifter swap is a task most can do at home on a Saturday afternoon.  If limiting yourself just to lifters and you don't mind buying a set of adjustable pushrods the only thing even close to a special tool one would need is a set of bolt cutters to get the original pushrods out of the engine.  Everything else is just basic hand tools.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »

I just had my lifters replaced with s&s premiums and adj. Push rods. I was uncomfortable running the stock lifters so I had them upgraded for peace of mind. I also took the opportunity to upgrade the cams. With tune I spent about 1300 and couldn't be happier knowing they are gone. I also know how much crank runout I have now and what the condition of the old cams and lifters were in.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 08:10:47 AM »

If a customer where to do the labor on the install and then bring the bike for a tune you would be 1150-1200 based on the 2 1/2 + dozen we have done this year.  Labor will vary from shop to shop but I would think that 450-650 labor would cover that end. So a cap of 2000 would get you there and then some.

Lifter failure is not only on the 110 engines. Some have posted that it is about the 110 valve spring pressure I have no doubt that plays a role . However we are seeing the same types of wear and failure on non CVO lifters as well. And there is no excessive valve spring pressure induced there. 

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »

Just reading some posts on lifters going bad and am wondering how much it costs to proactively have them replaced?

Scott

If you are at all mechanically inclined, or if you have a mechanically inclined friend who can perform the labor, you can replace lifters for no more than the cost of the lifters - $100 to $300 - depending on the brand of lifters.  It's a simple task that requires no special tools.  Refer to your service manual for instruction and torque specs...

I'd recommend using S&S premium lifters...  p/n 330-0175   

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showcase/motorcycle-engine-components/premium-high-performance-tappets/
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »

Scott
My thought is the more appropriate question is how much does it cost if your lifters chit the bed and dump metal all through your motor and damage other parts? IMO that's putting the cost of replacing them into perspective over not replacing them. If it's a known (lot or little) weak point why not correct it before it bites you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »

My thought is the more appropriate question is how much does it cost if your lifters chit the bed and dump metal all through your motor and damage other parts? IMO that's putting the cost of replacing them into perspective over not replacing them. If it's a known (lot or little) weak point why not correct it before it bites you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

And that is why I pulled mine. Well said!

Jesse

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »

on the '09 SERG;

'Having had a crank replaced at 10k, and a lifter go out and take out the whole motor at 22k, for me the upgrade lifters are the inexpensive way to go (if you can get away from the "may as well, while we're in there")

It made fiscal sense for me ("while we were in there") to Build the motor to 117 with "all the goodies" and S&S Premium Lifters, also, we will be doing Cam Chest inspections every 15-20k (barring any issues)... 

The '05 SEEG;
'Upgraded the Cam Tensioners (preventative). Bike has been drama free...

The '81 FXWG Shovel;
'Had lifter issues (even back then) the "fix" was to replace with solid lifters. "While I was in there" I installed the 470 Sifton Solid Lift Cam :pepper: 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:51:39 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

Here is what my dealer charged a couple months ago when I had him change the lifters and cam bearings on my '07.  He removed the stock push rods from the top and re-used them so no cost for adjustable push rods - just a little more labor.  The engine in this bike was replaced a while back and had about 8k on it when this work was done.

S&S Premium Lifters             269.95
cam service gasket kit          112.99
cam bearings                        19.99
cam drive gear retention          6.99
6 hrs labor @ 91.00              546.00
  Total                               955.92 plus tax of course

My dealer has a discount program for parts of which I am a member so I saved 15% off the above prices.  And since the work was done the first part of February and the shop was slow he gave me some discount on the labor also.  The above are regular 'list' prices with no discount.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »

Only 6300 miles on my Ultra but am going to be installing the S&S Premiums in the next week or two. Just waiting on lifter delivery. Not going to take a chance with the stock lifters.  Since I am doing the work myself total cost is about $400.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

S&S Premium Lifters             269.95
cam service gasket kit          112.99
cam bearings                        19.99
cam drive gear retention          6.99
6 hrs labor @ 91.00              546.00
  Total                               955.92 plus tax of course

The S&S cam installation kit P/N 106-5929 is $26.95.  Comes with inner bearing, snap ring, and cam cover gasket.  Rest of the gaskets (lifter cover, breather gasket and valve, rocker gaskets, push rod orings) will be about $40.  Add S&S premiums are $269 or GMR lifters for $190.  Whole job can be done from $270-$350 for parts.  6hrs labor seems about right and of course tax.  I would suggest finding an Indy shop.  (Maybe one that is a CVO member and claim another 10% off.)  Looks like the whole job could cost about $700-800 to have someone else do it. 

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

Interesting...

Simple question...  If I do this myself, I guess that it will void my warranty ?   ???

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »

No it will not void waranty

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »

my dealer did mine ( labor) for less than 300  bucks that was pulling the tank and heads they do not like adjustable pushrods  S@S lifters must be in demand a few websites I checked were on backorder i found a set in Ohio ....

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:06 PM »

my dealer did mine ( labor) for less than 300  bucks that was pulling the tank and heads they do not like adjustable pushrods  S@S lifters must be in demand a few websites I checked were on backorder i found a set in Ohio ....

Got mine from Amazon.  Saved about $30.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »

Interesting...

Simple question...  If I do this myself, I guess that it will void my warranty ?   ???

It all depends.  First, you're in Canada so you need to find out what the rules and laws say in your country versus the USA.  Second, if your question is about the difference between having a dealership do the work versus doing it yourself, here in the US the answer would be no, they couldn't void coverage just because you did the work yourself.  Once again, I don't know the law in Canada.  As for using nonstandard parts however, I'm pretty sure it's the same regardless of the country involved.  Harley is not going to warrant nonstandard parts, and if they can find any way to possibly blame those nonstandard parts for other failures they will do so in a heartbeat. 

With a 2014 you already have the latest upgraded lifters and inner cam bearings, so I'm not sure you need to be jumping the gun on changing any parts.  Don't get spooked by all the failures on earlier models that didn't have the latest lifters or bearings.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

You can save some money on the lifters if you try GMR's new ones. ;)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »

The other side of the warranty question is the "extended warranty" coverage.  If you have or are considering the "extended warranty" will they deny coverage to any engine damage because you changed the lifters?

I have the extended warranty and am considering checking/replacing my lifters.  My main concern is what will happen if some other part in my engine fails and CNA denies me coverage because I no longer have the OEM screw holding my passenger floorboards.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »

Black and white deal is they HAVE to prove the part you installed caused the failure. But without a lawyer good luck.  I have never seen a factory or after factory warranty claim denied due to lifters, rocker arms etc. I mean if a lifter you installed blew up and trashed the engine sure it could be an issue. But the flip side is you are more likely to have the stock lifter blow up leave you on the road and then you get a new engine and since HD feels it does not need to clean oil tank out,.... blow metal through new engine :pepper:. At least that is what we have seen first hand.. If the customer has no idea about oil pan and such HD does not go out of there way to do extra in most cases. Some HD shops are killer but its not the norm and we all know that to be true. Good luck 

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Do it now!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »

When I sent my Jim's motor back after complete failure. The first thing they said was we noticed the tappets aren't the same as the motor was shipped with can you tell me why? I answered when I was deciding to order the motor I spoke with a well known HD dealer that installs many of your motors and I asked the head guy for any advice, He said if you do nothing else but install the crate motor pull the Jim's lifters out and replace them with HD B's. When she asked me "can I ask why" I said they told me they don't trust them and they are very noisy. She answered OK. I said that is not what took out this motor. She agreed.

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »

With a 2014 you already have the latest upgraded lifters and inner cam bearings, so I'm not sure you need to be jumping the gun on changing any parts.  Don't get spooked by all the failures on earlier models that didn't have the latest lifters or bearings.

Jerry

Good advice, tnx!

I have the cruel chance of having a short riding season, so chances are that others 2014 will have issues before I do if the problem still exists...  Giving me the chance to react then...

Keeping my fingers crossed.......    :nervous:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »

we have cammed over 2 dozen of the 14 bikes and the lifters are not upgraded at all. Inner cam bearings are hit or miss new vs old .  Specs & part #'s  aside I have seen this stuff first hand.. Be happy to post up some 2500 mile lifters  from a 14 we just pulled one down yesterday. Same roller damage , rattle on start up Dealer said that's ok ,..Hyd lifters bleed down.  :-\  Swapping lifters and adding ex and tune. Maybe once HD has used up all the old parts you may see a change . 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »

we have cammed over 2 dozen of the 14 bikes and the lifters are not upgraded at all. Inner cam bearings are hit or miss new vs old .  Specs & part #'s  aside I have seen this stuff first hand.. Be happy to post up some 2500 mile lifters  from a 14 we just pulled one down yesterday. Same roller damage , rattle on start up Dealer said that's ok ,..Hyd lifters bleed down.  :-\  Swapping lifters and adding ex and tune. Maybe once HD has used up all the old parts you may see a change .

Is that just 110's Steve, or a mixture of engines?  The reason I ask is that Harley only claimed to have upgraded the lifters and inner cam bearings on the 110, not the 96/103.  Of course nothing would surprise me with Harley's hit and miss quality control system.

Jerry

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »

Is that just 110's Steve, or a mixture of engines?  The reason I ask is that Harley only claimed to have upgraded the lifters and inner cam bearings on the 110, not the 96/103.  Of course nothing would surprise me with Harley's hit and miss quality control system.

Jerry

110 have the same lifters ( they look the same have the same light blue paint marking  , part number wise  I dont know as I dont re use the stock lifters ) and inner bearings are still hit or miss .. On the 103 all the same stuff but I did one here a short time ago that had new inner bearings ??   

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »

We locked on S&S lifters years ago.

Stebra13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »

I realize these posts are ancient, but I just joinedthis group, AND I’ve just finished replacing the internal parts of my ‘04 FLHTCI Cam Body (cams, oil pump, lifters, push rods) by myself, opting to buy the inner/outer cam bearing installation tool, and taking two days to remove/replace the chain-driven cams with gear drives.
The S&S kit I chose (.510 lift cams) was expertly packaged with all the necessary parts, lubrication, thread-locker, and gaskets, and included excellent step-by-step installation instructions. I have tinkered with all the different Harley’s I’ve owned over the years - 3 Sportsters, a Low Rider, a Wide Glide, and now the FL, and I feel very comfortable wrenching on my own - considering the fact that I have wrenched on a lot of stuff over the years, and can usually follow instructions when given - I have to say that this little project was by far one of the easiest I have undertaken.
If any of you are considering upgrading your Twin Cam HD from the standard wire-type cam chain tensioner to either hydraulic tensioner, or even gear driven cams, you will save about $700-$1000 in labor by doing it yourself.....and of course now there are many helpful Utube Videos on this very subject that I encourage you to look at. Also, I am happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this post.
Happy wrenching!
Steve

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »

Gear drive only if less than .002 runout cam side. S&S does a good job with the kits but the 510 is never the wrong cam but often there are better, depends on the application.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »

You can save some money on the lifters if you try GMR's new ones. ;)
Why experiment with such a critical and inexpensive part.  It's like saving $100 but putting ChingShen Chinese tires on your $45k motorcycle.
Go with S&S or Johnson HyLift and forgetaboutit.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »

S&S Premium Lifters w/HL2T kit & S&S adjustable pushrods   p/n's 495979, 493889        $802.39 installed on 2011 CVO Street Glide

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »

I have the limiters for Johnson Hylift lifters but in most cases they are not needed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 24 queries.