Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1750 times)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
Help!
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

Has anyone with a new CVO Ultra (2012/2013) experienced any abnormalities in the operation of their ignition switch. More specifically, if you try to lock the forks with key, the entire assembly comes out? I have read old posts about this dating back to 2011 and 2010 and was wondering if there has been a recall notice or service bulletin from MOCO on how to resolve this frustrating issue.

I would appreciate hearing back from you. The only saving grace is that it's not exactly riding season yet and we have snow in the forcast for tomm and Sunday...... :confused5:

Thank you,
Soot

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »

I haven't had it come off accidentally, but I have removed it intentionally. There is a button under the knob that can be depressed to remove the lock. When I removed mine a few weeks ago, I turned the lock to the left and pushed the button with my finger. It  came out much easier than I expected. At the time, I thought that the pressure required to depress the button and remove the switch was pretty low and it could easily disengage the lock when you weren't expecting it.

I would check to see if that button is depressed, and make sure that the ignition knob is securely attached to the bike. If it isn't seated all the way down, it will keep falling off.
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

Hey soot...thought the dealer was coming out to fix this for you?

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:45 PM »

The tech came over last night and had a look at it; tried to secure the nut underneath and determined that it was more involved than that and said it would have to come back to the shop. So, I'm waiting on them to contact the MOCO service rep for this area and find out what the next step will be. I will NOT leave the bike sitting in the shop until the actual repair is underway........

What a pain this is to happen so early in the process of owning my first CVO (not my first HD), but never encountered anything like this!!!!  :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »

For all that is good and gracious...jimmeny, they can't get a bike off the line without the friggin switch bustin...I thought the strike was over..

OldSkull

• 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • OK

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »

Mine did the same thing the day I brought it home! (2013 Ultra)
I was able to get it stuck back in, and brought it for service next opportunity. They "fixed" it, but coudnt tell me what they did.  yeah....
I know the lock is different than standard FLH, for the CVO, just put the key in neutral center, rotate left or right, then back to center. My 09 FLH you moved the key position to lock or unlock and stayed there.

The ignition is still squirly, I am just more careful with it until they come out with a fix or wait till next winter when it is supposed to snow or ice to take it in to service.

2013 FLHTCUSE8
"Sookie"
Bassani Slant Slip-ons / V&H True Duels / Super Sucker II, HD Tuner/Dyno, Covington Cycles Chrome Inserts, Mustang Duel Heated Seat, D-Gerbing Heated Gear System / Custom Run/Brake/Turn for Rear Lighting, Progressive Shocks / Chrome Primary Case, Ram Camera Mount/Iron Braid Levers-bag Guard

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »

Haven't tried locking mine by key yet. I've been using the power lock.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »

My 2012 had a problem with not locking, but the assembly never came out of the bike.  I would turn the bars to the left and turn the lock as normal, but it wouldn't engage and you could turn the bars freely.  Then I tried the key lock and it wouldn't engage with the key, seemed jammed.  Then the same with the electronic lock.  At that point I had the bike for only a few days.  So, since my solution to many of life's troubles is a hammer, out comes the rubber mallet, a few taps and raps straight down on the lock assembly and it's fixed (and has worked flawlessly ever since).   
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »

My 2012 had a problem with not locking, but the assembly never came out of the bike.  I would turn the bars to the left and turn the lock as normal, but it wouldn't engage and you could turn the bars freely.  Then I tried the key lock and it wouldn't engage with the key, seemed jammed.  Then the same with the electronic lock.  At that point I had the bike for only a few days.  So, since my solution to many of life's troubles is a hammer, out comes the rubber mallet, a few taps and raps straight down on the lock assembly and it's fixed (and has worked flawlessly ever since).   
JUST A HAMMER!! no duct tape??? lol

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »

JUST A HAMMER!! no duct tape??? lol

The duct tape usually  :smash:  comes after the hammer
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.