Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated Glove Question  (Read 2011 times)

mcneguy

Heated Glove Question
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »

I picked up the Harley heated gloves (new style) on Thursday and used them for the first time on Saturday.  The right glove was so hot on the top of my hand that it was burning me so I had to pull off and pull the power.  I was going to return them today and my buddy rode to the dealer with me, I asked him to try the gloves with my cable plugged into his pigtail and he had no problem.  I put the right glove on while it was attached to his bike and it was fine so I decided to try them again on the ride back.

Once again, my hands were being scortched by the gloves.  This test tells me that I can eliminate the gloves and cable from being the problem and focus on the pigtail.  I had the dealer install the pigtail for me and they presented me with like 5 fuses after the install.  Is it possible that the wrong fuse (that doesn't make any sense to me) is in use or there is something on the battery causing the gloves to burn me when attached to my bike?

Any help is appreciated.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
Re: Heated Glove Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »

It would be worth testing the amperage and voltage output to see if there is a problem.
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

A fuse doesn't change the draw.  It just prevents the electrical item from drawing more then the rating of the fuse.  So it may be a larger fuse is allowing it to draw more, but if you put a smaller fuse in, it will just pop and not allow any draw.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »

Exactly...I was merely suggesting to check the output at the plug to see if it is too high, they gave him five fuses and he didn't state the fuse rating...it would make sense since the occurence didn't happen on his buddy's bike. Either that, or it is time for holy water... :pepper:
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »

Exactly...I was merely suggesting to check the output at the plug to see if it is too high, they gave him five fuses and he didn't state the fuse rating...it would make sense since the occurence didn't happen on his buddy's bike. Either that, or it is time for holy water... :pepper:

Amen!  Right time of the year for a posession too!   ;D

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

mcneguy

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:46:28 PM »

Well, I went to the dealer today and grabbed a new pair to try.  I put the new right hand on with my old left hand and the left hand burned the hair off the back of my hand and the right hand was just fine.  I can't explain why it worked on my friends bike but the combination of the gloves and my pigtail did not work well together.  I returned the gloves and took the new ones and all is well.  In any event it's over 70 here and I'm riding without a jacket in November for the first time I can recall so its not like I need them right now anyway.  I do appreciate all the responses...

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »

Interesting.  I like the idea of being able to use the battery tender pigtail.  So often I've seen some really nice bikes with a connector sticking out between the side cover and the seat, or the seat and the fuel tank........God knows where else.  At least the battery tender pigtail can be easily stowed out of sight.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:17:39 AM »

Interesting.  I like the idea of being able to use the battery tender pigtail.  So often I've seen some really nice bikes with a connector sticking out between the side cover and the seat, or the seat and the fuel tank........God knows where else.  At least the battery tender pigtail can be easily stowed out of sight.
Henry, did I understand that you do use the battery tender pigtail for your heated gear?  :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:18:14 AM »

Silly question but was a regulator/controller used with the gloves?? I know of some people that have bought the heated gloves and hooked them up directly and the gloves get so hot it burns the top of there hands. I'm sure you didn't do that but I thought I would throw that out there. 8)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:42:03 PM by DESERTBEAR54 »
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »

Henry, did I understand that you do use the battery tender pigtail for your heated gear?  :nixweiss:  spyder

I use the tender harness for all my heated gear. THE MUFFMAN

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »

I don't know what you understood, Spydy, since I'm not a mind reader.   :huepfenlol2:  I currently do not use heated gear at all, but if I decide to do so, I would like a pair of heated gloves, and would like to run them off the battery tender pigtail.........................................if that can be done.  Merely stated I like the idea of running heated gear off the battery tender pigtail.   :2vrolijk_21:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

I picked up the Harley heated gloves (new style) on Thursday and used them for the first time on Saturday.  The right glove was so hot on the top of my hand that it was burning me so I had to pull off and pull the power.  I was going to return them today and my buddy rode to the dealer with me, I asked him to try the gloves with my cable plugged into his pigtail and he had no problem.  I put the right glove on while it was attached to his bike and it was fine so I decided to try them again on the ride back.

Once again, my hands were being scortched by the gloves.  This test tells me that I can eliminate the gloves and cable from being the problem and focus on the pigtail.  I had the dealer install the pigtail for me and they presented me with like 5 fuses after the install.  Is it possible that the wrong fuse (that doesn't make any sense to me) is in use or there is something on the battery causing the gloves to burn me when attached to my bike?

Any help is appreciated.

Are you using a temp controller specifically for the gloves? I am on mine and i can adjust from a very wide range. If you are splitting from your jacket or pants liner, i don't think you have a way to controll the heat to the gloves other than the liner adjustment. I could see where your gloves would become very toasty under this scenario. What manufacture are you using for your heated gear.  :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.