Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: the Ultimate Windshield.  (Read 47175 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
the Ultimate Windshield.
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:06 AM »

Well, all, let me say that I have "been to the well and drank from the water", so to speak.  I did the Sturgis thing last week and rode the new 2012 Convertible and it is "marvelous" in all respects.  The new windshield is approximately 3 inches wider side to side, 1-1/2" taller (regardless of what they print) and has the wind deflecters built into the bottom of the fairing which gives it more mass from side to side when removing it.  And it has a small 3-4" cutout just above the dash which helps reduce felt turbulence according to one who seemed to "know his onions", again so to speak.  Apparently the Motor company did their research in a wind tunnel and these results is what they came up with.  I can say that I ran the bike on the freeway at 80 mph with my visor up on my fullface Shoei helmet and felt I could light a cigarette (if I smoked, which I don't) and enjoy a smoke going down the road.  Put my hand up in front of my helmet and felt no turbulence at all until at the very top of my helmet.  Then I reenacted the same scenario with my 2011 and when I put my visor up I was pretty much overcome with turbulence in all areas of my face and would have "smoked" that cigarette inside of 30 seconds!  that's reduction of wind turbulence in my way of thinking.  They did change the signals to down below the windshield which could allow the incorporation of an auxiliary light bar down the road if someone wanted to mount one on.  As far as the gps is concerned, it looks like a nice unit and is mounted in a great place while you are using the windshield on the road but when the shield comes off, so does the gps.  Suppose one wouldn't be concerned about the gps if all the stuff is off the bike and you're tooling around town anyway.  When demo riding the bikes at Sturgis, you usually don't have the opportunity to try out the gps.  Guess they don't want you crashing the bike while using something unfamiliar.  Other than that, there are no significant changes to the bike other than a couple new colors.  Not sure if I can upload a picture of the windshield but will try.     Again, I thoroughly enjoyed the bike and feel this is a great size of bike and all for someone who just doesn't want a bigger, bulkier bike.  It is so much more maneuverable and does all the functions of the others unless you are needing more room for longer excursions..........and then I think some conversions could also be made......remember that 2010 convertible that someone modified with hard trunk and hard bags???  and painted the bright orange color??  this bike could be done like that and wow, how cool???  Anyway, the water is fine.....   Pork!
And, by the way, I met Cliffy and his delightful wife, Dolly.......both from London.  We started talking about the bike and I asked him if he reads the HD forum about the convertible......he said he did, and I said I am Porkypig.  He said, "I know you!!!!!  I'm Cliffy!     Ha!  Great fun, let me tell you.   

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
Re: the Ultimate Windshield.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »

That's good news Porky.  Do you think that setup would fit on a 2010?  I'm not trading mine in just for a few changes.  I already added the GPS, pipes, windshield, cam, tuner and LED lights.  Maybe I'll do the handle bars also.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »

Well, John, I'm not sure.  It certainly looked like all the parts would be interchangable....the shield itself definitely will just screw onto the fairing, the lower wind deflectors have to be bolted to the chrome bracket on the fairing (we will have to drill 2 holes in each chrome bracket on either side of the fairing to receive the small bolts/nuts), and order the emblem for the front of the shield plus the 3 mounting bolts for it and the inner gray plastic mounting bracket that is the backing for the emblem.  As far as I can tell, these are the only parts needed.  Now, whether the MoCo will allow us to purchase these as upgrades to make the bike more enjoyable at highway speeds is to be seen.  Does anybody out there have part numbers as of yet?  The new parts books are out there I'm sure.  Somebody roll on this one please???    Pork.   My own opinion here would be about a crisp $500 bill for all the parts.  Maybe $600.  And of course we could do all the work ourselves.  Absolutely the "bomb" in my opinion.  Just wonder why it took them until the 3rd year to make this change.....if I think about it enough, I'm sure the answer will come to me.......ha!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:02:56 AM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »

here is a pic of the windshield

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »

ok, here's a couple more........

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »

another one.....

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »

rear of shield

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »

another...

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

and one of me sitting on "hook".

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »

a couple notes.  Notice the windshield is completely clear.  Also, the front signals have been switched down below the fairing.  I was told that the shield wouldn't fit if signals were up on handlebars but I believe they would fit with no problem at all.  Below the fairing makes them look a little more balanced and would also augment the addition of a light bar for auxilliary lighting if and when one wants to add them.  On its way to being a "contender" in the touring class.  All I need them to make for me to be happy is saddlebag guard bars so my "precious cargo", my wife, can be safe on the back as well.  Maybe they will read this and make a set special for me........  :2vrolijk_21: 
Now, we are getting close to being as close to a CVO Heritage as it is possible to get....... Watch, now next year they will make a CVO Heritage Softail.......remember, you read it first right here on the CVO forum....... Pork.

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »

Parts are still not avaible  for the deflectors ( black plastic pieces)
here are #s that I found 57400130,57400131,57400132, and 57400133
I am going to get and modify them to my  2011
i already have the juroc   winshied 19"  and it is wide
I did tape off the lower part of fairing and it did help
I figured that was the reason they added  that part to the fairing
can't  think why else they would add that
I hope it works
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:42:00 PM by myanoch »
Mike

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Well, (Jeff, isn't it??) I'm not sure.  It certainly looked like all the parts would be interchangable....the shield itself definitely will just screw onto the fairing, the lower wind deflectors have to be bolted to the chrome bracket on the fairing (we will have to drill 2 holes in each chrome bracket on either side of the fairing to receive the small bolts/nuts), and order the emblem for the front of the shield plus the 3 mounting bolts for it and the inner gray plastic mounting bracket that is the backing for the emblem.  As far as I can tell, these are the only parts needed.  Now, whether the MoCo will allow us to purchase these as upgrades to make the bike more enjoyable at highway speeds is to be seen.  Does anybody out there have part numbers as of yet?  The new parts books are out there I'm sure.  Somebody roll on this one please???    Pork.   My own opinion here would be about a crisp $500 bill for all the parts.  Maybe $600.  And of course we could do all the work ourselves.  Absolutely the "bomb" in my opinion.  Just wonder why it took them until the 3rd year to make this change.....if I think about it enough, I'm sure the answer will come to me.......ha!
John
I checked on a complete sound system setup from a 2011 to put on a 2010 and it was around $1400.00
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »

Guy's thanks for the update on the new windshield and deflectors. I called my H-D dealership and they punched in the numbers, that myanoch was so good to find, but they didn't come up. If anyone else finds any more info out there be sure to post it.  This was the only problem that I had with my 2011.

Thanks,
Etudeguy

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »

The numbers that are in the harley parts book would not come up
These are the numbers that are  going to be  in the next couple of weeks
that is according to my dealer?????
Mike

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »

hey porkstar, great photos......  thankyou , so you didnt trade up two years running ???
whats your opinion on the new colors ?
the new screen does make it look more like a heritage, but i still think i like the smaller smoked screens.
i am glad they didnt change too much, no temptation now for me to change.

good to see what you look like  :pepper:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.