Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Floorboard extentions being removed  (Read 18571 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Floorboard extentions being removed
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:18 AM »

Glad to hear you weren't hurt and were able to get the bike home.  I have lowered a lot of bikes and messed up their handling but never had floor board extenders on them.  Will never put them on for sure now.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »

Very sorry to see the pics of your accident that JC posted, but so glad that you were spared any serious injury.  Sounds as if you've readjusted your riding attitude and will be enjoying riding again very soon with just a tad less aggressive 'scraping'.  :) Ride safe Jon.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
I'd say that sums it up just about perfect..... I'll leave the aggresive scraping to my younger brother's  :2vrolijk_21: thanks spyder, Jon

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »

Just glad to hear you are OK.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

I thought it was pretty interesting when Jon said that his floorboards never scraped, just the floorboard support brackets.  I guess due to the diminished lean angle and the slight crown in the road on that curve, it caught the brackets rather than the floor board.  And, those that were in front of him didn't scrape at all says something, too.

Definately something to consider if you're going to use those floor board extenders....especially in the twisties. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »

john, glad your doing OK, i cringed when i saw you bike at Jim's shop. i had the extenders on the SERK and after the back end getting light on some right hand turns on the dragon a few years ago i removed the spacers from the right side, but have left them on the left side. you guys have more technical roads then most of the east coast guys do but i didnt have any issues with this setup while i was out there
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

Jonga, just a after-thought....being vertically challenged I lowered my SEEG with the adjustable air shocks (legends) so that when riding hard in the twisties like you were you can have the ground clearance yet still lower for moving the bike around in the parking lot.  Has worked well for me on the bagger.  spyder

Exactly what I've done also - Legend Air Shocks - lowered in low speed traffic and parking situations - raised when riding.  I'm 5'11, but with a 30 in. inseam, it's tough to get my feet planted.  This solution works well for me....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »

Exactly what I've done also - Legend Air Shocks - lowered in low speed traffic and parking situations - raised when riding.  I'm 5'11, but with a 30 in. inseam, it's tough to get my feet planted.  This solution works well for me....   :2vrolijk_21:

X3...the Legends are a bike saver when parking these beasts, or stuck in traffic.  I have the Kury 3/4" spacers on my new bike, just like I did on the '06, and never scraped anything other than the outside of the boards...never the brackets...and I've been known to ride pretty hard in the twisties...But, when I'm riding the twisties, I have the Legends raised all the way up, and I keep my suspension stock...13".  Plus, the Traxxion front end keeps the front from compressing as much when taking curves at speed.  I looked at the 1" spacers offered by some of the other companies, but decided against them for the very reason you discovered, Jonga.  Glad you're OK...the bike can be fixed, and it's in good hands with Jim.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »

I thought it was pretty interesting when Jon said that his floorboards never scraped, just the floorboard support brackets.  I guess due to the diminished lean angle and the slight crown in the road on that curve, it caught the brackets rather than the floor board.  And, those that were in front of him didn't scrape at all says something, too.

Definately something to consider if you're going to use those floor board extenders....especially in the twisties. :nixweiss:
Another thing to consider if you ride a lowered bike is to practice shifting body weight way out from side to side thru tight corners so as to be able to get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much.....this can save you if you get surprised on a corner like Jon got into.  But, I find that you have to practice this (as stupid as it looks) so that it'll come 2nd nature when the emergency in a corner arises.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »

Another thing to consider if you ride a lowered bike is to practice shifting body weight way out from side to side thru tight corners so as to be able to get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much.....this can save you if you get surprised on a corner like Jon got into.  But, I find that you have to practice this (as stupid as it looks) so that it'll come 2nd nature when the emergency in a corner arises.  spyder

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Right on the money spyder.  This technique has saved my bacon on more than one occasion when I managed to get into a corner too hot.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »

Another thing to consider if you ride a lowered bike is to practice shifting body weight way out from side to side thru tight corners so as to be able to get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much.....this can save you if you get surprised on a corner like Jon got into.  But, I find that you have to practice this (as stupid as it looks) so that it'll come 2nd nature when the emergency in a corner arises.  spyder

I completed a class two months ago that taught this practice. They had us practicing by putting our chins on top of the mirror on the bagger as we went around a curve. It works and was fun but I don't see any knee pucks in my future. But it does work. The class was a MSF class called, Advanced Ridercourse Sportbike Techniques.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

Can the boards be raised up?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »

Can the boards be raised up?

Not on the new frame.  But he just removed the floorboard extensions...so they're not out near as far.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 02:38:47 PM »

Not on the new frame.  But he just removed the floorboard extensions...so they're not out near as far.

I didn't know that JC. What years is that, 2008 and above?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

Trying to get my head around this one.  I was taught that turning is a matter of physics: speed, wheel base and lean angle and that you change body position to stabilize and direct yourself and the bike.  In other words, how sharp you (cornering radius) will turn depends on speed, wheel base and bike lean angle.  You change body position to achieve correct lean angle.  How is it that a weight transfer alone can change the cornering radius for a given lean angle?   :nixweiss:   Can someone explain how this works?  Thanks!   Mark, do you want to chime in on this?   Inquiring mind(s) want to know. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »

Ouch, that must have been your bike I saw last Friday then. Glad to hear you are OK though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.