Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WE ARE OUT THERE!!  (Read 2525 times)

Colorado

WE ARE OUT THERE!!
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

There are but a few things that put me onto a public rant and yesterday on my way home I saw one. First I have say my sincere heart felt condolences and prayers are with the Bagget family. I am so sorry for your loss. Here's a little experiment for everyone, especially the cage drivers. Pull into a parking lot so you and your vehicle are facing traffic, put it in park and turn off your engine. Now hold one one hand in front of you with a thumbs up gesture, every time you see a motorcyclist put your thumb over them. At just a hundred feet + or - you can block them out completely. I'll keep it simple, 1 mile = 5280 ft @ 60 mph that is 88 ft per second. PER SECOND!!! So... your talking to your passenger or worse, on a cell phone, you put on your left ts and proceed to make a left turn. You glance to your right and look real hard to your left, cuz you think that's what you can't see. News flash, traffic is comming from your right and your rearview mirror just blocked out two cyclists when you glanced that direction. Now 3 maybe 4 seconds have past (88x4=352) one bike is trying like hell to turn out of the way the other has em locked down and smoke rolling. And I quote " I looked, but I didn't see anything". Stand in front of their family and tell them "you didn't see anything". That phrase makes my blood boil every time I hear it.

WE ARE OUT HERE, IF YOU LOOK YOU WILL SEE US!! IN FACT WE ARE EVERYWERE!

Please look, not just the cyclist is injured or worse.

Colorado

Re: WE ARE OUT THERE!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »

FLORENCE, SC --
The South Carolina Highway Patrol investigates a deadly motorcycle crash.

It happened just before five o'clock Monday evening near the intersection of SC 327 and US 76, in front of the Florence Flea Market.

Florence County Coroner Bubba Matthews identified the victim as 72 year old William Earl Baggett of Mullins.

Lance Corporal Sonny Collins with the South Carolina Highway Patrol said as Baggett rode west on US 76, the driver of a car headed east failed to yield the right of way and turned in front of him.

Baggett struck the vehicle and died at the scene from his injuries.

Collins said Baggett did wear a helmet.

No charges are filed in the case, pending the outcome of the investigation.

This is why [/b]  Reckless endangerment resulting in death, Involuntary Manslaughter!!  IMO

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

Colorado,

I think we all agree with your position.  Unfortunately, that means you are preaching to the choir.  Condolences for the family and friends of Mr. Bagette.  Your message needs to get out to other forums.  I think we must never lose sight, however, that the ultimate responsibility rests with us, the riders. 

I compare motorcyclists to pedestrians in a crosswalk.  The pedestrian has the right of way.  The motorist or even a motorcyclist should see the pedestrian.  But too often, they do not.  If the pedestrian relies on his right of way, it is he who is at risk.  The same applies to any motorcyclist when a car makes a left turn in front of him or her.  With that in mind, I would be very curious to know precisely what you saw.  I do not mean to excuse the fault of the car driver in any way.  But it is too late to claim some one's fault when you are dead. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »

Since I have resumed riding after 20 years....I have become very defensive in my driving....EVERYONE on the road is an idiot!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Since I have resumed riding after 20 years....I have become very defensive in my driving....EVERYONE on the road is an idiot!

Including all of us when driving a cage. How many close calls have we all had because we didn't see another vehicle for one reason or another. I try real hard to be sure the way is clear, but still have had a close call or two, both on the bike and in the cage.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »

Every Ride on BLUU I know that someone in a Cage is trying to kill me!!!! Doesn't matter where I'm at it is always on my mind.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

Riding Motorcycles for almost 30 years has made me a better cage driver...  but like Colorado has mentioned... it only takes a second of distraction to change everything.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »

I think AS A RULE people who drive motorcycles are also more careful when they drive their car. I always seem to take that extra little glance.... just to sure be sure all is clear. I can usually tell just by sitting in the passenger seat if the driver does, or at some time in his/her life has  owned a motorcycle.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »

I agree to what all have said, especially that ultimately our safety is our responsibility.  Not that car drivers are not to blame, and yes most drivers are nuts, but we have to be ever vigilant.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »

My condolences to that family and all the families that have lost loved ones like this. People just have to take the time and look but we know everybody has ''their'' important mission for that day. All you can do is try to be somewhere else than their bumper.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »

I think AS A RULE people who drive motorcycles are also more careful when they drive their car. I always seem to take that extra little glance.... just to sure be sure all is clear. I can usually tell just by sitting in the passenger seat if the driver does, or at some time in his/her life has  owned a motorcycle.

Yeah me to  :2vrolijk_21: We all our human,We will make mistakes   

Is there chance some bikers are to careful? There is so many different styles of riding , Some of us drive fast to get away from cages,others stay next to trucks or cars and do the speed limit.So many people ride bikes now and
some of them dont know how to RE-ACT to certain sitsuations I always think Im being careful but ive had some close calls myself  :nixweiss:All I know , If your gonna try and guess what a car or truck is gonna do YOU BETTER BE RIGHT  ;)

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »

There are but a few things that put me onto a public rant and yesterday on my way home I saw one. First I have say my sincere heart felt condolences and prayers are with the Bagget family. I am so sorry for your loss. Here's a little experiment for everyone, especially the cage drivers. Pull into a parking lot so you and your vehicle are facing traffic, put it in park and turn off your engine. Now hold one one hand in front of you with a thumbs up gesture, every time you see a motorcyclist put your thumb over them. At just a hundred feet + or - you can block them out completely. I'll keep it simple, 1 mile = 5280 ft @ 60 mph that is 88 ft per second. PER SECOND!!! So... your talking to your passenger or worse, on a cell phone, you put on your left ts and proceed to make a left turn. You glance to your right and look real hard to your left, cuz you think that's what you can't see. News flash, traffic is comming from your right and your rearview mirror just blocked out two cyclists when you glanced that direction. Now 3 maybe 4 seconds have past (88x4=352) one bike is trying like hell to turn out of the way the other has em locked down and smoke rolling. And I quote " I looked, but I didn't see anything". Stand in front of their family and tell them "you didn't see anything". That phrase makes my blood boil every time I hear it.

WE ARE OUT HERE, IF YOU LOOK YOU WILL SEE US!! IN FACT WE ARE EVERYWERE!

Please look, not just the cyclist is injured or worse.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing this. All of us need to be more careful.

D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »

X2

Sandmantx96

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »

My parents taught me from a young age to respect motorcycles on the road and adapted this rule for when I leaned to drive a "cage"; "Ride (drive) like your invisible and everyone is out to get you". Not only are they in a protective cage, they are wearing blinders. I have only been riding for a few months but Motorcycles have always been around in my family. My father and 2 of my uncles have a combined 130 years riding + or - a few this is why I make sure people see me and I have no qualms about being an ass when I get cut off or someone has a "caged driver" fit of stupidity. I too have had my share of close calls and agree with the human factor, but each time has made me more vigilant in watching whats going on around me. Something I read recently really made sense; "Help save a biker, OPEN YOUR F*#KING EYES". Much love to all who ride 2 wheel death traps!!!

The moment you don't respect it, is the moment it kills you.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »

May God bless and help Mr. Baggett’s family through what must be a very difficult time--my sincerest prayers for his transcendence to be with our Lord and Savior.

That was a great point made regarding us being cage drivers as well as bikers.  I can say riding motorcycles has made me a safer driver, for both types.  The lesson of looking over our shoulder before changing lanes was the most valuable.  We can’t trust the mirrors and unless I know exactly what is going on in the lane I’m moving into, I’m looking back, in the car and on the bike.  It has prevented a number of what would have been close calls or chance meetings.

This is not MC related, but same context.  Just this week a kid ran over a father and his two little girls riding bicycles on the sidewalk in Concord, CA.  The father and one of the daughters were killed instantly and the other was injured seriously.  The authorities are investigating what he was doing when he lost control of his parent’s SUV.  I suspect texting, but that remains to be heard.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8613692

While the statistics for so many areas of safety on the motorways have improved, the smart phones have created a digital monster that some just seem to be unable to put away.  The cellphones were bad, but smartphones are like having a mini-computer in your hands available all times.  Scary thinking a teen is not only an inexperienced driver, but distracted too.  They are a serious danger to all.

When riding on an open highway or city street where cars can make left turns into our path, assume they will -- it might save your life.  I’ve held the philosophy for over 35 years no one else can see me on the road.  They might hear me, or not; but I assume I’m invisible.  Therefore, they will try to enter my space and I’m ready to evade them, looking for an out and into a safer position.  A car moves over, I move over and of course let them know I’m there, or was.  Almost all the time I get a “sorry” from them, but even so, I’m free to move on without incident.  Maintaining a defensive posture has kept me from having a collision with other vehicles for many years.  Hope my luck holds, as well as yours.

Stay safe friends.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.