Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Never expected to post on this Board.......but  (Read 19742 times)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
Never expected to post on this Board.......but
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:37 AM »

27th August riding home about 4.30pm on a nice sunny day. Travelling along a dual carriageway (2 lanes in each direction separated by a central grass verge about one lane wide). In front on me is a car which pulls out to overtake a large French truck that is going slow. I am going no more than 30mph. I look over my shoulder (to check traffic behind) indicate and also start to move out.
Suddenly to truck veers out, cuts in front of the car, carries across the outside lane and grass verge and (can you believe it!) executes a 'U'turn. The car screeches to an emergency stop, I do the same, but I am not quite going straight. The back wheel slides away and so does the bike. I part company with the bike and hit the ground with my knee, chest and head.

The truck does not even stop, but fortunately the car behind me does. We wait for the services to attend. The result? I have two broken ribs, bruised lung and a shattered knee which is going to need a total metal replacement.

The bike doesn't look too bad. Apart from a broken screen and front fender, it seems mostly minor scratches to the crash bars and hard bags - even though the bike apparently made contact with the car.

But what really upsets me......the Police have said that even though the truck (a) executed an illegal maneuver and (b) failed to stop, as the truck is now back in France, there is nothing they can do to pursue the driver, or find out who the registered owner of the vehicle is!!!! With the number of foreign vehicles we have on the roads here in the UK, I just wonder how many times something like this happens.

I have spent the last three weeks in hospital thinking about this incident and why it happened. I am pretty convinced that the truck was driving slow because he had taken a wrong turn and his Sat Nav was telling him to turn around. Being a foreign truck the driver is on the wrong side of his vehicle for our roads. As both the car and myself were pulling out to pass we were probably in his blind spot. But....did I hit the brakes too hard? Did my braking lock-up the back wheel? Could I have done something else to avoid the crash? At least in my mind the answer to the last question is 'no'. There was no avoiding action I could take as the truck covered both lanes and the grass verge (so there was nowhere to go). If I hadn't tried to brake as hard as I did I would have hit the back of the car, which would have been far worse injury wise.

Fortunately I always ride with the right gear and what has surprised me is that there is no damage to my jacket or trousers (both FXRG) - not even abrasive scratches, although the lining in the shoulder of the jacket has a friction tear. No damage to boots, although gloves are severely scratched. The main damage is to the helmet and visor which have taken a real beating - but obviously prevented any injury to me.

So brothers what is the lesson? Trucks go slow for a reason - if you are following one be careful - and if it is foreign, expect the unexpected!

Magellan  :coolblue:
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Never expected to post on this Board.......but
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »

Very sorry to learn of your accident.  You've suffered some physically painful injuries!  I hope you are well taken care of....  Best wishes with your recovery, especially the new knee.  Hopefully you'll be as good as new soon.  In the meantime, perhaps the site will keep you well entertained!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

So sorry to read of your accident and your injuries! What an idiot that truck driver was to suddenly make a U-turn without looking to be sure the way was clear, and without even signaling his intentions. It angers me when drivers become so distracted and so wrapped up in their little world that they just do what they do, without any regard to the other vehicles around them.

I also think it's BS that the police say they cannot track the vehicle down, nor determine the owner. Did anyone get a license plate number, or description of the vehicle? There aren't many ways for a truck to leave England! They probably simply do not want to bother with the paperwork.

Best wishes in your recuperation. That knee is going to require a lot of physical therapy after the surgery.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »

Very sorry to learn of your accident.  You've suffered some physically painful injuries!  I hope you are well taken care of....  Best wishes with your recovery, especially the new knee.  Hopefully you'll be as good as new soon.  In the meantime, perhaps the site will keep you well entertained!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Scott, appreciated.
The knee is not too bad (although it will probably be next year before they do the replacement) In the meantime it is in a cast from the foot to the groin...but it is the ribs that a REALLY painful.

gagellan  :coolblue:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »

Magellan,
Very sorry to read your post.  I hope you will heal quickly. It was a great right up, however,  and I think your analysis is valid. Hopefully, that means it will not ever happen again to you. Good luck!

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »

Hi Magellan,

sorry to read about what happened, fast recovery to you and your beautiful bike!

As to the truck: don't let the local police disencourage you. If there are any indications as to the identity of the truck the french police will give every possible assistance to identify owner, driver and insurance, at least they are obliged to do so under european treaties. As you got physically harmed in the accident it's not a minor offence under french law either. We don't live in 20'th century any longer, those binational inverstigations are pretty routine today and work quite effectively.

Of course it's a nuisance for the local police and a lot of paper to be filed but ask the RAC to recommend an experienced attorney to take the appropriate actions for you. Don't let them get away so easily with this.

And don't underestimate the damage to the bike: when a similar thing happened to me last december those scratches added up to over 25.000 €  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »

So sorry to hear about your accident but glad it wasn't any worse. Good gear is always important as you reminded us. Hope you recover quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »

X2 on all of that

Magellan, well wishes and prayers to you, brother.
Looks like Kraut has some good advice as to how to keep this going and, hopefully, come to some kind of closure in finding and convicting this truck driver.

May the good Lord watch over you during your full recovery.

Howard

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »

Although hurt seriously, sounds like you were lucky. Locking the rear tire will almost always cause loss of control, but given the circumstances what choice did you have? Your actions most likely prevented even worse injuries. Heal quickly and as Kraut stated "Don't let that idiot get away without a fight". Your locals probably said what they did to hope you would lay down and it would go away with as little work on their part as possible.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »

Hi Magellan,

sorry to read about what happened, fast recovery to you and your beautiful bike!

As to the truck: don't let the local police disencourage you. If there are any indications as to the identity of the truck the french police will give every possible assistance to identify owner, driver and insurance, at least they are obliged to do so under european treaties. As you got physically harmed in the accident it's not a minor offence under french law either. We don't live in 20'th century any longer, those binational inverstigations are pretty routine today and work quite effectively.

Of course it's a nuisance for the local police and a lot of paper to be filed but ask the RAC to recommend an experienced attorney to take the appropriate actions for you. Don't let them get away so easily with this.

And don't underestimate the damage to the bike: when a similar thing happened to me last december those scratches added up to over 25.000 €  ::)

Thanks Kraut, I am convinced that the reaction from the police relates to the nuisance, paper work and time this will cause them - but I certainly intend to push as much as I can. As the bike was insured through Harley Davidson, I am hoping that they will also push hard on this matter as well. As we are all part of the EU, I would have thought that there would be a central license plate data base register. Apparently there is not - but that would certainly be something useful central government could do!

Wow - surprised to hear that even scratches could be so costly!

Magellan  :coolblue:

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »

Magellan,

Really sorry to hear of your misfortune and hoping your recovery goes well.

King2013

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »

Magellan,
sorry to hear of your accident. i know what your going through and wish you a speedy recovery.
also good luck with the idiot who caused it. even if the police caught him, its the insurance company that will put up the biggest fight.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »

Hope you have a speedy recovery!  Loads of jerks on the roads.
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »

So sorry to read of your crash and resulting injuries.  Were your broken ribs in the front or rear...my last crash into a car resulted in 3 broken in the rear and believe me, they're worse than ones in the front (or maybe it was because I was much older this time  ::))  I couldn't even get into and out of a bed...had to sleep in a reclining chair for a long while....so I feel your 'pain'.  Much of the cost of repairing your bike will be the expensive paint, but...the bike will be ready before you are, my friend.  Hang in there to ride another day.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 01:48:56 AM »

Sorry to learn of your misfortunes and injuries. Wishing you a speedy recovery and best of luck in getting the truck driver/Company to do the right thing after causing you so many problems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.