Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000 style break calipers vs 08 and later Brembo Calipers.  (Read 922 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
2000 style break calipers vs 08 and later Brembo Calipers.
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

The info I got from this site that the Brembo Brake Calipers are better with more stopping power than the earlier 2000 style. I see 5hem on line but they don't specify if they are for a Dyna or a Bagger. Does anyone know if the Rear caliper that bolts to the mounting bracket are the same. I have the 2000 style brakes.
 My other question is will Bagger or VRod Brembo Dual work on my FatBob front end? I have the 2000 style calipers on my Dyna 49mm  FatBob front end.  Most adds don't really specify. I only buy used parts from Harley dealerships that list used parts.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2000 style break calipers vs 08 and later Brembo Calipers.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »

The info I got from this site that the Brembo Brake Calipers are better with more stopping power than the earlier 2000 style. I see 5hem on line but they don't specify if they are for a Dyna or a Bagger. Does anyone know if the Rear caliper that bolts to the mounting bracket are the same. I have the 2000 style brakes.
 My other question is will Bagger or VRod Brembo Dual work on my FatBob front end? I have the 2000 style calipers on my Dyna 49mm  FatBob front end.  Most adds don't really specify. I only buy used parts from Harley dealerships that list used parts.

Not sure what listings you might be seeing.  If you're looking to make these changes to a bagger you want take-offs from a bagger.  There is a difference on the V-Rod front calipers. 

On the fronts all you need is the caliper, its mounting bolts and a pair of rotors.  There is a tab adjacent to where the brake line attaches you'll have to grind off of one of the Brembo calipers.  Aside from that it's a bolt on retrofit.

On the rear you can use the take-offs from a touring bike also.  You'll have to run a 1" drill bit through the axle hole on the mounting bracket then (maybe) hone it out another couple thousandths.  You'll also need a new axle spacer for the right side.  It's a spacer that HD nor the aftermarket never made as no one produced parts for this particular retrofit. 

I made 20 of these spacers awhile back.  Have five or six remaining if you want one.  $20 shipped if you want one.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: 2000 style break calipers vs 08 and later Brembo Calipers.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »

My 2000 FXR4 CVO has the 2000 style single peice rear caliper.  The mounting bracket of the Brembo looks like it might  work. I will buy it from a Harley shop at a good price.  If it doesn't work I know a friend that would buy  it. I will let you know.  It will be probably 2 weeks from now. Thanks

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 25 queries.