Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips for Removing Harley Protective Film  (Read 2553 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
Tips for Removing Harley Protective Film
« on: August 11, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »

Need to remove the heavy protective film that Harley put on my rear fender under the pillion pad. It's not the thin Scotch 3M stuff. This is pretty thick. Any tips would be appreciated.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tips for Removing Harley Protective Film
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »

Start with a heat gun or a hair dryer and heat up the film and fender.  That will help reduce the grip of the adhesive.  Then it's just a case of getting a corner started and peeling it off.  Clean up any residue left on the fender.  I try to remove as much as possible by applying some 2 or 3 inch packing tape, press it down really well, and then peel  up that tape.  Then anything remaining can be cleaned off with a solvent.  Something like WD-40 or mineral spirits is my first choice, and if that doesn't do the trick acetone or Goof-Off but very carefully.  3M also makes an adhesive remover that is safe for use on auto paint jobs when removing things like moldings and nameplates.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Tips for Removing Harley Protective Film
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

Start with a heat gun or a hair dryer and heat up the film and fender.  That will help reduce the grip of the adhesive.  Then it's just a case of getting a corner started and peeling it off.  Clean up any residue left on the fender.  I try to remove as much as possible by applying some 2 or 3 inch packing tape, press it down really well, and then peel  up that tape.  Then anything remaining can be cleaned off with a solvent.  Something like WD-40 or mineral spirits is my first choice, and if that doesn't do the trick acetone or Goof-Off but very carefully.  3M also makes an adhesive remover that is safe for use on auto paint jobs when removing things like moldings and nameplates.

Jerry

Good advise Jerry but I would also recommend to not peel directly away from the fender as this may lift the paint, pull and stretching the clear film slightly lifting it away from the surface will be a safer option.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 24 queries.