Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Preride spray for fairing and lowers  (Read 11084 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Preride spray for fairing and lowers
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »

Does anyone spray their fairing and lowers with any product to stop bugs from sticking prior to riding? I am thinking of trying some kind of non stick cooking spray so the bugs won't be able to stick to the fairing so much. cahdbiker

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
Re: Preride spray for fairing and lowers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

Try a good leather conditioner and dont try to rub it around, just spray it on and when you get to where your going then wash. got this from a hot rodder. I tried it on a 2000 mi vacation thru Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado, Leave the bugs on till you cant stand to look at the bike any longer . The guy sprayed it on till it was running down the side of the bike, put it on the windshield to. It was almost to good to be tru, but it worked, and didnt bother the paint at all.
TJ
TJ

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:17:26 AM »

Try a good leather conditioner and dont try to rub it around, just spray it on and when you get to where your going then wash. got this from a hot rodder. I tried it on a 2000 mi vacation thru Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado, Leave the bugs on till you cant stand to look at the bike any longer . The guy sprayed it on till it was running down the side of the bike, put it on the windshield to. It was almost to good to be tru, but it worked, and didnt bother the paint at all.
TJ
Thanks for the tip I will try it on my next trip.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:51:07 AM »

So let me get this straight.  We now use Pledge to shine our bikes, oven cleaner to clean the exhaust, Draino to clean the inside of the ends of the mufflers, and now I need to keep a can of Pam in the garage to spray the front of my bike before riding.  Hmmm!  Has anyone tried Maxi-Pads to clean their spokes or hair conditioner to dress the sides of their tires?

Sorry, I just had to toss this out there.  It's getting more and more difficult to explain the things in my garage to my neighbors.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »

Don't forget the glass cleaner for the chrome. Maybe the maxi pad dry the bike with.
 :D   
TJ

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »

we have tampons in the A/C
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »

Just make sure to finish your trips with a 20 minute ride through a rain storm.  The water will dissolve the bugs and rinse them right off.  One downside is it tends to fill all the nooks and crannies with dirty water, but who said life is fair?

BTW, the Pam thing works pretty good on the underside of your lawnmower too.  So if someone questions that can of Pam, just tell them it's for the lawnmower.  ::)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »

So let me get this straight.  We now use Pledge to shine our bikes, oven cleaner to clean the exhaust, Draino to clean the inside of the ends of the mufflers, and now I need to keep a can of Pam in the garage to spray the front of my bike before riding.  Hmmm!  Has anyone tried Maxi-Pads to clean their spokes or hair conditioner to dress the sides of their tires?

Sorry, I just had to toss this out there.  It's getting more and more difficult to explain the things in my garage to my neighbors.

Thats funny!

I will tell you I trick I just learned about.  Soak a towel with water lay it on the bugs/windshield/fairing and leave it for 30 minutes come back pull it off.  Hit it with a little quick detailer and you are on your way.  I have only tried this once but it worked really good.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

Thats funny!

I will tell you I trick I just learned about.  Soak a towel with water lay it on the bugs/windshield/fairing and leave it for 30 minutes come back pull it off.  Hit it with a little quick detailer and you are on your way.  I have only tried this once but it worked really good.

Nice old trick that one.  I've trashed a lot of hotel towels over the years in the early AM before heading out to start out if not clean at least not caked with the prior day's bugs.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »

Thats funny!

Just wet a towel and keep it in a plastic bag in your saddlebag.  You don't need to leave it on the bugs for 1/2 an hour.  If it's wet enough, they'll wipe right off in a minute.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »

Don't forget the glass cleaner for the chrome. Maybe the maxi pad dry the bike with.
 :D   

It's for the head gasket leaks.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »

Just wet a towel and keep it in a plastic bag in your saddlebag.  You don't need to leave it on the bugs for 1/2 an hour.  If it's wet enough, they'll wipe right off in a minute.
ya, and when you get home, open the bag, whew, talk about stink
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »

Getting the bugs off the front of your bike is actually pretty easy. Just take a towel and saturate with steaming hot water from the faucet. Wring most of the water out. Lay the towel across the area covered with bugs. Go crack a beer. Enjoy for a few minutes. When you come back, just wipe the area with the wet towel.

Wring out towel. Saturate again with hot faucet water. Lay hot wet towel over new area that needs to be cleaned. Go back to beer. Enjoy. Return to towel and wipe dirty area with towel. Continue till all areas are clean. Front of bike will be spotless in 15 minutes and no chemicals used on the bike.

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »

I have been using "Ivory" dish washing liquid diluted and sprayed on before washing. Works better than HD`s bug remover and it is cheap.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »

I have been using "Ivory" dish washing liquid diluted and sprayed on before washing. Works better than HD`s bug remover and it is cheap.

Dish washing liquid, from my understanding, is a taboo item.  I used to use it to wash my car, and then I was shown what I did to my paint surface.  Never again.  Car wash soap is apparently made for cars and dish washing soap for dishes, and not really interchangeable.  It really did destroy my paint surface over about a year.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.