Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Extended Brake Pedal  (Read 4839 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Extended Brake Pedal
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »

2014 cvo limited and tired of my right foot being stuck under the brake pedal and the goofy movement to lift foot and activate. What are you using? Heard one company folded. Thanks.
Will

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Extended Brake Pedal
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »

EZ Brake, Soft Brake and Kuryakyn all  make acceptable products. Your choice. Use the search function here for various discussions. The search function is your friend. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »

I found out that the "extended" foot brake pedal in the Kuryakyn cat is the same one that is on the CVO Ultra....

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:05:50 AM »

The water cooled lowers don't allow too many to fit. I believe the Kury is close to stock also. Saw it last year at a rally.  The bikes without lowers have a longer lever available.

Easy or soft went out of business I believe.
Will

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »

EZ Brake seems to have gone belly up. I just did a quick search and the .com website seemed to go nowhere. Damn shame as I have theirs and like it.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2019 Limited
    • CVO2: 2009 Softail Springer
    • CVO3: 2016 Limited
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:00:18 AM »

I changed the foot pad using a smaller one from a dyna  and extended floorboard 3/4"  Made a big difference.
Good Enough is not Good Enough!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »

I put on EZ-Brake Lever  EZB-14C-B.  It is great.  I put some comments here on about it. I didn't know they went out of business. Maybe some are available on e-bay or some place like that.

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:07:09 AM »

I changed the foot pad using a smaller one from a dyna  and extended floorboard 3/4"  Made a big difference.

Did the same thing, Grim. 

I used the Kury floorboard extending kit, took a Dremel grinding wheel to the end section of the stock brake lever and installed the matching Dyna pad (about half the size of the stock behemoth).  I had looked into installing the EZ brake and even bought a used one from a member here.  Looking at what it was going to take to access/remove/install that made me investigate this another option....which I believe works much better for me.  That smaller brake pad alone was worth the effort...much more room on the floorboard and along with the 3/4" wider boards, my heal sits on much more floorboard real estate when I'm using my highway pegs.  I have a small foot but even so, that stock brake foot pad was always in the way, specially when using the rear brake.

I had posted pictures last year on this mod but can't find them on my computer.  No worries, I rode in today so took another picture with smaller foot brake pad and extension.  You can see just how much more room this gives along with the easier rear brake access.

I'm not bad-mouthing the EZ brake option here, bakon, but I was looking at having to remove the entire exhaust system just so I could get to the stock mount and install that on my '15.  This other option was much easier to digest and I got to grind on something...  ;D

Good luck with whatever direction you decide... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:25:30 AM by Haird »

grim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2019 Limited
    • CVO2: 2009 Softail Springer
    • CVO3: 2016 Limited
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »

I used the Kury floorboard extending kit, took a Dremel grinding wheel to the end section of the stock brake lever and installed the matching Dyna pad (about half the size of the stock behemoth).  I had looked into installing the EZ brake and even bought a used one from a member here.  Looking at what it was going to take to access/remove/install that made me investigate this another option....which I believe works much better for me.  That smaller brake pad alone was worth the effort...much more room on the floorboard and along with the 3/4" wider boards, my heal sits on much more floorboard real estate when I'm using my highway pegs.  I have a small foot but even so, that stock brake foot pad was always in the way, specially when using the rear brake.

I had posted pictures last year on this mod but can't find them on my computer.  No worries, I rode in today so took another picture with smaller foot brake pad and extension.  You can see just how much more room this gives along with the easier rear brake access.

I'm not bad-mouthing the EZ brake option here, bakon, but I was looking at having to remove the entire exhaust system just so I could get to the stock mount and install that on my '15.  This other option was much easier to digest and I got to grind on something...  ;D

I got the idea from you Haird. Thanks
Good Enough is not Good Enough!

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »

I got the idea from you Haird. Thanks

Well how 'bout dat....glad to have been of some help....there's a first time for everything I'ma guessin'...... :huepfenjump3: ;D :2vrolijk_21:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »

Well I can say I definitely would not recommend SoftBrake.  Bought one for my '17 CVO Limited which had the footboard extenders.  He said I would need the model with additional offset to work with the extended footboards.  Once installed I absolutely hated it!  It was so low to the footboard and it took up so much room that half the footboard was not usable . . . and it extended so far outboard that I couldn't rest my heel on the footboard on my toe on the highway peg which I like to do.

Like others have noted E-Z Brake seems to have gone out of business - again.  Had the E-Z brake on my '07 CVO Ultra and it was great but could not find one now.  So last week I purchased the Kuryakyn extended brake pedal and it is great.  Sits farther forward and lower than stock so I don't have to lift my entire foot to get on it.  And it is inboard enough that resting my heel on the footboard and toe on the highway peg works just fine. 

Like Haird said it is a pia to change out but well worth the effort.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »

Haird I don't know if you have the stock header pipe but if you do you can change the brake pedal without removing it.  It is tight - real tight but doable.  I followed the Kury instructions and removed the right footboard and loosened the front footboard mount so it could drop down.  Removed the bolts from the master cylinder and from the engine guard and loosened the top bolt on the engine guard so it could swing a bit forward to allow the master cylinder to move forward a bit.  Getting the cotter key out was the most difficult because it is so hard to see and access.  But with a light from above, a dental type mirror and a bent needle nose pliers I got 'er done!

IBA member # 45520

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »

Haird I don't know if you have the stock header pipe but if you do you can change the brake pedal without removing it.  It is tight - real tight but doable.  I followed the Kury instructions and removed the right footboard and loosened the front footboard mount so it could drop down.  Removed the bolts from the master cylinder and from the engine guard and loosened the top bolt on the engine guard so it could swing a bit forward to allow the master cylinder to move forward a bit.  Getting the cotter key out was the most difficult because it is so hard to see and access.  But with a light from above, a dental type mirror and a bent needle nose pliers I got 'er done!

I'm one to find ways to work around the instructions when I see a better way (which is a kind way of saying I don't read the instructions.... :) ) but I didn't see any possible way of getting to the removal of the stock lever without loosening the exhaust pipe and basically removing it for all intent and purposes.  No way I could see on mine to get to the point of cotter removal and/or master cylinder removal.  I figgled, foddled and farted just about every way possible and gave up.  I was going to install the floorboard extensions anyway but had contemplated the smaller brake peddle foot pad for a few months and gave that a try.  I did devise a cover so when I was grinding the brake lever so the smaller pad would fit, the dust/soot/metal shavings would be confined and not go willy-nilly all over the bike.

I'm glad you are pleased with your choice of the Kuryakyn extended brake pedal.... ;D

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »

I'm one to find ways to work around the instructions when I see a better way (which is a kind way of saying I don't read the instructions.... :) ) but I didn't see any possible way of getting to the removal of the stock lever without loosening the exhaust pipe and basically removing it for all intent and purposes.  No way I could see on mine to get to the point of cotter removal and/or master cylinder removal.  I figgled, foddled and farted just about every way possible and gave up.  I was going to install the floorboard extensions anyway but had contemplated the smaller brake peddle foot pad for a few months and gave that a try.  I did devise a cover so when I was grinding the brake lever so the smaller pad would fit, the dust/soot/metal shavings would be confined and not go willy-nilly all over the bike.

I'm glad you are pleased with your choice of the Kuryakyn extended brake pedal.... ;D
Harid, were you or are you a plumber?  Just kidding as I don't think you are . . . and no offense to anyone on the site who may be but your statement about instructions made me think back on previous experiences.

In the late 70s up to the early 90s I was part owner in a manufacturing company that made plumbing specialty products.  We noticed that our plumbing contractor customers seemed to have a creed of sorts:

Open the box and throw away the instructions.
If it won't fit force it.
If tight is good tighter is better.
And it it doesn't work or breaks blame it on the product being defective.

;D

IBA member # 45520

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 03:52:58 PM »

Going to give the kury a try after the comments from ultrafxr. Good review of all on his part. 
Will update once in.
Hoping ultra13 is referring to a different year bike as would be a shame to buy the same lever that is already in bike
Will
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.