Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I know, beaten to death........  (Read 1478 times)

Glenncarp

I know, beaten to death........
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »

Spoke to Pete at Customz, he is/will be nowhere near where I live, closest dealer is 3 hours away Called Rockford Fosgate, tech had minimal info. Called Crutchfield, some info, conflicted what some others have said.

My issue:
Want drop in speakers to replace all speakers,  3 of 4  Boom Audio II are now blown. I do not want to change out Amps. Stereo was already flashed by dealer when they installed Boom Audio II.

Heard that using 4 OHM speakers will REALLY decrease volume, others say will not be noticeable.  Are not many options for good 2 OHM speakers, Infinity is one I am contemplating.Friend who is audiophile say they blow because they are 2 OHM and 4 OHM will have some less volume, but sound better and will not blow as easily. Mind you, I have NEVER had volume more that 75% at ANY time.

So, anyone have real time experience with installing Rockford (4 OHM) with Boom Audio II amps? How about same for Infinity (2 OHM)? Do I need to be concerned with loss of volume using a 4 OHM speaker?  Anyone have any other ideas? The true issue is replacing the Boom Audio II crap with speakers that sound same or better, but do not blow after a short time of using them. Since I already spent $2,000 on Boom Audio II upgrade, would like to stay at or under $500 for 4 speakers.

Any help to stop my head from spinning would be awesome  :beatdeadhorse:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: I know, beaten to death........
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »

More often than not, blowing speakers is caused buy a dirty signal / distortion. A large percentage of the issues are upstream of the speaker, very few cases is it the speaker itself. Without going into the volumes of "audio 102", I would suggest contacting j&m audio, as they offer many different options that work well with any of the stock components.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »

I've have JM Audio fairing and saddlebag speakers and amps with my factory HU on my 09 since HD released the speaker lids, and have used their 2 channel set up on my 03 never had a speaker or amp failure. The 09 with a built 110 motor & D&D Exhaust I could hear the tunes ok at 75-80 mph now built 117 with Wrath exhaust still the same.  I will say not the best sounding system I've ever heard but much better than factory & probably the best bang for the buck considering you can buy the components from discount sellers.  Check Directcycleparts.com  for pricing no S&H charges

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »

I've have JM Audio fairing and saddlebag speakers and amps with my factory HU on my 09 since HD released the speaker lids, and have used their 2 channel set up on my 03 never had a speaker or amp failure. The 09 with a built 110 motor & D&D Exhaust I could hear the tunes ok at 75-80 mph now built 117 with Wrath exhaust still the same.  I will say not the best sounding system I've ever heard but much better than factory & probably the best bang for the buck considering you can buy the components from discount sellers.  Check Directcycleparts.com  for pricing no S&H charges
I bought my j&m stuff at Eastern performance, an authorized reseller (warranty)
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

jrf55

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2018 GUNSHIP GREY ROAD GLIDE CVO
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 05:53:04 AM »

Feel your pain I have 2018 road glide cvo with boom audio II and have blown several speakers and I as well dont want to spenD alot to fix a problem on a bike i spent over 40k for. My advice as I see it  is to make sure when replacing the speakers and keeping the amps is to make sure the replacement speakers are component speakers not coaxial speakers . boom audioII seperates the channels voice on one and bass on the other coaxial  speakers will work but it wont sound right. there are component speakers out there with 2ohm also 3 way which is a tweeter woofer and midrange speaker setup which is what will work with the boom audio II setup.JBL,JL,FOCAL,HERTZ,all make them as well as others also look at cruthfields site they offer a adapter for rear speakers which are 5x 7 to convert to 6x9 which are more common size. good luck hope this sheds some light.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:54:47 AM by jrf55 »

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »

Spoke to Pete at Customz, he is/will be nowhere near where I live, closest dealer is 3 hours away Called Rockford Fosgate, tech had minimal info. Called Crutchfield, some info, conflicted what some others have said.

My issue:
Want drop in speakers to replace all speakers,  3 of 4  Boom Audio II are now blown. I do not want to change out Amps. Stereo was already flashed by dealer when they installed Boom Audio II.

Heard that using 4 OHM speakers will REALLY decrease volume, others say will not be noticeable.  Are not many options for good 2 OHM speakers, Infinity is one I am contemplating.Friend who is audiophile say they blow because they are 2 OHM and 4 OHM will have some less volume, but sound better and will not blow as easily. Mind you, I have NEVER had volume more that 75% at ANY time.

So, anyone have real time experience with installing Rockford (4 OHM) with Boom Audio II amps? How about same for Infinity (2 OHM)? Do I need to be concerned with loss of volume using a 4 OHM speaker?  Anyone have any other ideas? The true issue is replacing the Boom Audio II crap with speakers that sound same or better, but do not blow after a short time of using them. Since I already spent $2,000 on Boom Audio II upgrade, would like to stay at or under $500 for 4 speakers.

Any help to stop my head from spinning would be awesome  :beatdeadhorse:

Thanks for the input. After my research, decided to go with J&M. Rockford was first choice, IDK why, just liked their product, but called and spoke to tech dept again and the tech confirmed with 4 OHM, the volume loss would be pretty significant.

I need to learn to read then react though. Purchased them on the J&M web site for $429, then came here and read other reviews and ordered them on Direct for 279.95, same product ID. Will update when installed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:15:10 PM by Glenncarp »

markp1965

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »

just wondering if you had any update on replacing the rear speakers ?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 03:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the input. After my research, decided to go with J&M. Rockford was first choice, IDK why, just liked their product, but called and spoke to tech dept again and the tech confirmed with 4 OHM, the volume loss would be pretty significant.

I need to learn to read then react though. Purchased them on the J&M web site for $429, then came here and read other reviews and ordered them on Direct for 279.95, same product ID. Will update when installed.
Keep in mind that J&M will only do their warranty when the original buyers makes the purchase from them. If you buy from a Vendor, it's up to the vendor to handle any issues. J&M has made that clear on other sites that I'm on.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 25 queries.