Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MMI, Orlando  (Read 5091 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
MMI, Orlando
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »

My son started attending MMI Orlando in Oct. 2013 and finish Dec. 23rd 2014 with graduation Jan. 2nd 2015, He finished 3 weeks early with a 3.9 GPA and 96% attendance record.

So now he is going to take a 6 week course in early model Harley motors, Knuckle, Pans etc.

I'm not bragging, Just a proud Dad.  :orange:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: MMI, Orlando
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »

My son started attending MMI Orlando in Oct. 2013 and finish Dec. 23rd 2014 with graduation Jan. 2nd 2015, He finished 3 weeks early with a 3.9 GPA and 96% attendance record.

So now he is going to take a 6 week course in early model Harley motors, Knuckle, Pans etc.

Very cool Dan, you should be proud and a little bragging is good.
Does he have a place lined up to work yet?

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »

It's not braggin when it's your kin, Dan.....

Congrats and good for him taking the extra course on the older scooters.  Old school mechanics are fading away quickly (Larry Poole comes to mind....) so somebody needs to step up in this generation and carry on for the Knuk/Shov/flathead riders

Has he lined up a "local" gig?  I'd be more than happy to let him work on my scoot when it requires shop time.....

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »

Sounds like a good kid you should be proud Dad.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »

Very Cool  :2vrolijk_21:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »

Very cool Dan, you should be proud and a little bragging is good.
Does he have a place lined up to work yet?

SBB

He lives in Tampa and has his Applications in at several Dealerships in that area, But really wants to work at Tampa H-D, The way i understand it Dealerships class techs A,B,& C, They start out as C washing bikes & changing oil, But at Tampa they pair a class C with a Class A Tech, He's working part time for a Independent Shop in Lakeland. He built a Iron Head 1200 Sporty with nitro and a race team done some on track testing  and they are intrested in him.
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »

It's not braggin when it's your kin, Dan.....

Congrats and good for him taking the extra course on the older scooters.  Old school mechanics are fading away quickly (Larry Poole comes to mind....) so somebody needs to step up in this generation and carry on for the Knuk/Shov/flathead riders

Has he lined up a "local" gig?  I'd be more than happy to let him work on my scoot when it requires shop time.....

No, I was hoping he would come back to Knoxville and maybe get on with Smokey Mtn. H-D, but i think he wants to stay in Fla. He has already bought two wrecked bikes and built one out of them, Sold it and bought a Ultra to ride from Tampa to Orlando and back everyday, Since he bought the Ultra he has never said another word about wanting or riding a crouch rocket, He has been spoiled. :huepfenjump3:
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »

No, I was hoping he would come back to Knoxville and maybe get on with Smokey Mtn. H-D, but i think he wants to stay in Fla. He has already bought two wrecked bikes and built one out of them, Sold it and bought a Ultra to ride from Tampa to Orlando and back everyday, Since he bought the Ultra he has never said another word about wanting or riding a crouch rocket, He has been spoiled. :huepfenjump3:

The BIG thing I tried to impress on my godson before I contributed to his MMI school education (deans list grad too) is that he needed to focus on the end result--what he would be making--salary, benefits medical 401k etc. before he went through the school and all of the money and time was spent.

Unfortunately he didn't listen and ended up leaving a Harley dealership after 3 years for those exact reasons--not enough money and benefits for him and a young family starting out.

Even though we harley owners pay high labor costs not very much filters down to the mechanics. In fact many dealerships are moving to part time to avoid benefits and in a few cases putting on night shifts.

I strongly recommend doing the vetting so you have all of the information before going into the business.

Regards

Jerry

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

Yeah although I never talked to any tech personally about what they make, I have spoke to some employees of the dealer I have all my work done at. I was surprised to learn how little they get paid compared to the shop hourly rate we pay. The H-D dealers should be ashamed of themselves. That is also the reason I try to give them a little tip when I pick the bike up.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »

they get paid alittle better than working at taco bell

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »

Your son should be very proud of his accomplishment  :2vrolijk_21:
And you are right to be proud of him for those same accomplishments, go ahead and brag.

Besides, owning a 110" CVO you're going to need a good mechanic around  :oops:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »

Good For Him!   :2vrolijk_21:    And  you to!    ;)

J.Mart60

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHX non-CVO
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:19 AM »

I use an independent mechanic with all the diplomas from HD and he also went thru MMI. He worked for a dealership for a few years till he could get his own shop. He is honest and dependable, so rare, and his shop is very nice. He does the warranty work and all for half the price that the local dealer wants. Twice this local dealer tried to scam me so I am always trying to help my guy out. I have to drive past the dealer to get to him so I will sometimes pick up parts and such that he has waiting just to save him a trip into town. Your son can also run his own shop and do quite well.
If you want that pat on the back when you do well, you must also accept that kick in the ass when you screw up!

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 05:44:58 AM »

Your son should be very proud of his accomplishment  :2vrolijk_21:
And you are right to be proud of him for those same accomplishments, go ahead and brag.

Besides, owning a 110" CVO you're going to need a good mechanic around  :oops:

I guess i have been lucky with the 110 i have its a 07 first year they came out, Only problem i have had is the cruise control, After three trips to the dealer which they could not fix i put a shot of WD40 in the switch and never had any more problems out of it and that was maybe 5 or 6 years ago.  :nixweiss:

The only bad thing about having my own H-D Tech, I think he is going to stay in Fla. and i live in Knoxville, Tn. :nixweiss: But thats fine with me as long as he is happy and doing what he loves to do. :bananarock:
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 05:49:26 AM »

I use an independent mechanic with all the diplomas from HD and he also went thru MMI. He worked for a dealership for a few years till he could get his own shop. He is honest and dependable, so rare, and his shop is very nice. He does the warranty work and all for half the price that the local dealer wants. Twice this local dealer tried to scam me so I am always trying to help my guy out. I have to drive past the dealer to get to him so I will sometimes pick up parts and such that he has waiting just to save him a trip into town. Your son can also run his own shop and do quite well.
I think that's what he wants to do is open his own shop someday, But right now he wants to work for a dealer and get some real world hands on experience.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.