Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Pressure on 2015 RGU  (Read 3284 times)

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
Oil Pressure on 2015 RGU
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:32:09 AM »

Hello,
I just bought my 2015 CVO RGU about 2 weeks ago and one of the first things I noticed on it was the my oil pressure ran lower than what I was seeing on my 2011 103" engine.
What caught my attention the most was sitting at an idle at a stop light after riding for 2 hours and my oil pressure was 8psi. When I checked it riding at 60-70 MPH it was 32psi.
I am not getting any noise to say the psi is to low but as I said I am just not use to seeing it this low. Is this normal for the 110" engine?

Thanks all for your help.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Oil Pressure on 2015 RGU
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 07:43:06 AM »

That is about what my 2016 CVO Street Glide 110 used to carry.    The engines have needle roller bearings for the rods and crank so they do not require high oil pressures like a conventional car engine with Babbitt type bearings.   They are calibrated to peak at 35 psi.    On my 2019 they have disabled the Oil Pressure reading and replaced it with an indicator that the pressure is "Ok" or not,   probably to avoid concerns like yours.   

From my 16's service manual:
"A passage in this channel connects to a pressure relief valve
mounted in the bypass port of the cam support plate (A5).
When the oil pressure exceeds the setting of the relief valve
spring 35 psi (241.3 kPa), the orifice opens to bypass excess
oil back to the feed side of the pump (A3)."

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »

Dont the oil filters have a oil bypass feature that would affect the oil pressure?

Reason I ask is that I am using a resuable oil filter  that supposly doesnt use one.

R

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »

Hello,
I just bought my 2015 CVO RGU about 2 weeks ago and one of the first things I noticed on it was the my oil pressure ran lower than what I was seeing on my 2011 103" engine.
What caught my attention the most was sitting at an idle at a stop light after riding for 2 hours and my oil pressure was 8psi. When I checked it riding at 60-70 MPH it was 32psi.
I am not getting any noise to say the psi is to low but as I said I am just not use to seeing it this low. Is this normal for the 110" engine?

Thanks all for your help.

The pressures you noted are actually typical for Twin Cam engines.  Harley considers 30 - 36 psi at normal operating temperature and 2000 plus rpm cruising speeds to be the normal range, and most seem to run in the lower half of that range until you crank up the rpm's.  As for idle, there is no real spec from Harley, people tend to report anywhere from almost nothing to 15 psi.  Common readings on the 2007 and later models seem to be anywhere from 5 psi to 12 psi depending on oil temperature, viscosity, and idle speed.  It's not necessary to have high pressure at idle, and it can in fact be a negative since anything over about 15 psi causes the piston cooling jets to dump more oil into the sump.  Good pressure at 2000 rpm and up combined with very low pressure at idle often indicates a leaking bypass valve in the cam plate btw.  Your numbers don't indicate anything unusual.

Don't forget, if you want truly accurate readings you will need to use a calibrated and certified mechanics pressure gauge teed into the system at the stock sender location.  Harley's gauges aren't exactly precision instruments.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:43:10 AM »

Dont the oil filters have a oil bypass feature that would affect the oil pressure?

Reason I ask is that I am using a resuable oil filter  that supposly doesnt use one.

R

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The cam plate has the bypass valve that regulates maximum oil pressure, the bypass in the oil filter is a different item designed to maintain oil flow to the engine if the filter becomes clogged.  Two different things with two different purposes. 

As for the metal mesh oil filters, they have less tendency to clog because they have less filtration than standard filters.  That's why they also advertise increased power, less filtration results in less resistance to flow results in less power required to run the oil pump. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:54:55 AM »

"They all do that"
If you want something to worry about...Think lifters.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

Thank for all the quick replies. My 2011 103 would sit at about 15-20 psi at idle (stock Harley gauge) and then be at 35-40 psi running down the road.
I am use to the rules that apply to most automotive engines but wasn't positive on my Harley. I wasn't terrible worried about since as I said the engine isn't making any funny noises when idling but wanted to make sure this wasn't an abnormal thing. Not having a stock gauge anymore has me getting use to this bike and as I dig into the bike I am finding that the PO didn't do much if any upkeep on it.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 09:25:44 AM »

Thank for all the quick replies. My 2011 103 would sit at about 15-20 psi at idle (stock Harley gauge) and then be at 35-40 psi running down the road.
I am use to the rules that apply to most automotive engines but wasn't positive on my Harley. I wasn't terrible worried about since as I said the engine isn't making any funny noises when idling but wanted to make sure this wasn't an abnormal thing. Not having a stock gauge anymore has me getting use to this bike and as I dig into the bike I am finding that the PO didn't do much if any upkeep on it.
Idle pressure is more of a function of the leaks, designed internally to supply oil, and the pumps condition. At idle there is no bypass happening unless the relief valve is not seated. Everything you mentioned is normal for a twin cam and not in a range to worry about.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »

Idle pressure is more of a function of the leaks, designed internally to supply oil, and the pumps condition. At idle there is no bypass happening unless the relief valve is not seated. Everything you mentioned is normal for a twin cam and not in a range to worry about.

As I said I really appreciate all the replies.

Better to ask and make sure than to think you know and be wrong and end up killing my engine.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »

May just be the gauge too, likely not the most accurate.  You can hook up another gauge to compare the readings.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.