Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Good grief!  (Read 6565 times)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
Re: Good grief!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2004, 09:08:59 AM »

Looks very nice...hoped not to spend that much, but may have to.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2004, 10:21:01 PM »

Just replaced left front for the 2nd time. Mine takes both elements when it blows. The lens on that side has very little tension holding it on, surprised it hasn't fallen off yet. I'll probable lose it this weekend at Hell Night in Port Dover Ontario. The O.P.P. will have a good reason to hassel me then.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2004, 08:28:25 AM »

I was doing my pre trip inspection and although it still works I noticed the finish (the amber tint) on my front left turn signal bulb  is all crinkled up  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Looks like the bulb has overheated or something? The other bulbs look fine. Something must be weird about the left front wiring that is causing the bulbs to overheat.  I always carry spare bulbs on long trips. I'm taking two front turn bulbs just in case.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2004, 09:31:46 PM »

MoChrome, noticed the ones that came in my bike new did that as well.  Then I upgraded to the lenses with the chrome trim rings and the package came with new amber bulbs that were a different brand.  Not sure I have this right and don't have what I need here to confirm, but I believe the stockers were GE and the ones that came with the lenses/trim rings were Sylvania (mabe vice versa [smiley=confused5.gif]).  Anyway, the amber coating on the new ones isn't crinkling.  May be worth checking into a different brand to see if you get the same results.

They actually also seem to be lasting longer!  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2004, 03:52:23 PM »

Update: stockers are GE and the ones that came with the lenses/trim rings I got are Stanley (not Sylvania).  I have a GE on one side and a Stanley on the other in the front and the amber on the GE is all crinkled where the Stanley still looks good as new.

Cohibalator

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2004, 02:27:58 PM »

Add mine to this list, front left....
'05 SEEG back in the game!!!!!!!!
'04 ZX-10R FOR SALE
'02 BMW R1150GS
'01 BMW F650GS
'77 Honda GL1000 w/ Terraplane sidecar

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2004, 07:30:25 PM »

Wow, that didn't take long.  Then again, my left one (bulb, that is [smiley=blush.gif]) blew out too, about a week after I took delivery.

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2004, 09:07:30 PM »

I blew 3 front bulbs as well.  I then changed both of them with new ones and have about 2000 miles on and all is well.  Not sure if it is realated but I had a "code history" show up (the engine light would come back on for a few seconds after the bike was started.  It means something happened in the past, but is no longer happening.)  When the history of the code was checked it showed an electrical short had occured but was now fine.  The code cleared.  I checked all the connections, grounds, etc. and found nothing.  No new codes or blown bulbs since...go figure!??
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

rpierce

• Power and Style
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2004, 11:01:16 PM »

Same thing with mine, left front.Pretty strange all seem to be L/F. If anybody finds a cure let us know. [smiley=drink.gif]

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2004, 06:37:49 AM »

Same thing with mine, left front.Pretty strange all seem to be L/F. If anybody finds a cure let us know. [smiley=drink.gif]

My LEDs above are still burnin' bright...but in amoment I will be posting a new issue that has me sad.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2004, 09:18:50 PM »

Gee, do you think the problem could be as simple a junk bulbs?! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  I just pulled this one out of the right front (there goes the left front theory).  Check out the amber tint cracking and peeling (there's that word again!) away from the bulb.  This is a GE 1157A.  I've replaced it with a Stanley.  I've had one of those in the left front now for a good 2,000 miles/3-4 months and it still looks and works like new.

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2004, 08:55:03 AM »

Gee, do you think the problem could be as simple a junk bulbs?! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
Re: Good grief!  Another blown front turn sig
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2004, 11:50:11 AM »

Here's a thought for you electricians out there to ponder...

I posted earlier that I bought LED bulbs for the amber fronts, and that I found them to not work the same.  When I installed the 2-element LED bulbs (1157), I found that the one on the left side did not work as a running light, like the right side one did.  I thought the bulb was defective, so I sent it back and ordered another.  Same deal.  So I switched the bulb from the right side to the left, and the "good" bulb did the same thing.  I would highly doubt that this is a coincidence.  Is there maybe a wiring design problem here which is causing both problems???

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2004, 04:47:11 PM »

My front turn / run bulbs looked just like yours. I took the bulbs out and was able to simply wipe the remaining amber coating right off the bulbs.

Try looking at the part's store for bulbs whose part number ends in NA rather than just A.  Like 1157NA.  They'll be natural amber and the glass itself will be amber as opposed to a coating on the glass.

Good luck,
Don

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2004, 06:21:37 PM »

Hey, twolanerider, that's good info.!  I wasn't aware of the "NA" nomenclature before.  Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.