Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Importing a US 2011 CVO Street Glide To Canada  (Read 8402 times)

JPK455

Importing a US 2011 CVO Street Glide To Canada
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »

I am planning to buy a 2011 CVO Street Glide I see I need to make a tail light change to make it compliant can any one tell me what will need to be done to the bike. Can I just add the tail light to the existing fender or do I have to do a complete fender change?

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Importing a US 2011 CVO Street Glide To Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »

who told you to make the change?

Take the bike to CanTire...get the import check and the safety done there... they are clueless about bikes but got the contract for all imported vechicles

To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

JPK455

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

I was on Transportation Canada web page and it said 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide - If VIN begins with 1HD1PZ81 or
1HD1PZ83, see Note-1
Note-1 confirms that models listed
REQUIRE modifications to rear tail
lamp assemblies to meet
Canadian standards.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
has informed Transport Canada
that ALL modifications MUST be
performed (and documented) by
an authorized Canadian
Harley-Davidson retailer.

I here what you are saying Take it Can Tire and there will be a very good chance they will pass it. But if they do not pass it I want to make sure that all i would have to do is drill a hole and add the ugly tail light not sure what other wiring would need to be done.

Thanks for your suggestion

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »

Might as well try before dropping the dough on the modified tail lamp.

All I can add beyond that is, I drove around the Great Lakes over a summer week vacation, and never got stopped about the tail lamp on my bike. While I would sure like to know what they difference is, I sure wouldn't want to drop the dough needlessly.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:51 AM »

I was in the same boat till i just bought the bike from here. My research led me to that if i did get the bike from the US by the time i was done i would have paid close to the difference of just buying it from here. Saying that you could just drill a hole and put the light on but when it comes to wiring it up thats where it might messing. The international set up has just the pig nose come on as a brake light. It is also the running light where the US  model has the envelope lights as brake lights, turn signals and running lights. The envelope lights are amber on the international model and thats all they do, is light up for turning. I got around this by getting a modal from BADLANDS (thanks Nick) It makes all 3 lights running lights, brake lights and turning signals. While turning the other 2 lights still are running lights or brake lights. I love this set up since it works like a car and i have plenty of light back there instead of the one light bulb in the pig nose.

Saying all that i do not know how and where to wire up the pig nose but i would not want to mess with the wiring too much. You could try contacting BADLANDS and see if they can make a modal for you but you would still need to get power to the pig nose. If you are still interested i can get you the info. to call and find out. They do custom make modals.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:59 AM »

International set up. The day I got my ride.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »

What it looks like today. The envelope lights are the US smoked lens and the pig nose was replaced with a smoked LED from Badlands.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:57:58 AM »

All lit up. Once the brakes come on the pig nose is really bright.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »

If I remember right, lights are optional on bikes because you can use your arm signals.  I would try.. at worse they say take it to Harely... seems you have to to meet Transport Canada rules, you cant do the modification yourself
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »

Follow this link for the international parts for the rear lighting.  The list includes the wiring harness, circuit board, actual lamp assembly, etc.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies//hdm_oem/hdmc.asp?Type=13&A=726&B=51

Jerry

edit:  I forgot to add that in addition to the actual stop lamp and wiring, you will probably also need to change the turn signals themselves.  The USA version is red, the Canadian version is amber.  Part numbers 69496-09A and 69518-09A, $215 USD each.  If for some reason you had to actually replace the fender with the HDI version, that would be $560 USD painted to match.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:20:00 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rw3673

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE. Was candy cobalt. Getting custom paint
    • CVO2: 2007 CVO Ultra. B/O. Sold
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »

I have brought a few American bikes up in the past few years.  You need to look at the RIV sight. On the models that don't have the fender mounted brake light you have to have the mod done by a lic. Harley Dealer.  Deeley Canada will not supply you with the compliance letter until they have proof from dealer that they did the mod.  My understanding is that mod could cost 3-4g.  That pretty much stopped me from bringing up a Street Glide.  You can't get CDN tire to do the inspection until you get the FORM 2 from RIV(Register of Imported Vehicles) and they won't generate the Form 2 until Deeley Canada supplies the compliance letter.  You can bring up anything thru the border on the FORM 1 that you need to physically get the vehicle into the country.  What happens after that has changed quite a bit in the last couple years with the flood of vehicles imported from the US.  Beware of some of the many brokers who offer services to import.  Some of them aren't that up to date on what is required after the vehicle gets here.  Then you are the one holding the bag for having a vehicle that you can't register here in Canada.  A lot of insurance company's will not give you coverage until you can produce an ownership registered to you in the province you live in. 

If you bring a BMW or Benz into Canada it was always the same deal.  Now a lot of the other vehicle manufactures have done the same thing.  It allows them to control where and how their products are sold and distributed.  Bringing a vehicle that was intended for retail sale in the US undermines their distribution and allocations for their CDN dealers that have no choice but to sell for the higher price because the difference in the currency never works out in the way that they distribute and retail their products.  And in Canada Deeley Imports holds the cards for that.
 If there is a way to get around the system, someone might have done it by fluke.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »

I have brought a few American bikes up in the past few years.  You need to look at the RIV sight. On the models that don't have the fender mounted brake light you have to have the mod done by a lic. Harley Dealer.  Deeley Canada will not supply you with the compliance letter until they have proof from dealer that they did the mod.  My understanding is that mod could cost 3-4g.  That pretty much stopped me from bringing up a Street Glide.  You can't get CDN tire to do the inspection until you get the FORM 2 from RIV(Register of Imported Vehicles) and they won't generate the Form 2 until Deeley Canada supplies the compliance letter.  You can bring up anything thru the border on the FORM 1 that you need to physically get the vehicle into the country.  What happens after that has changed quite a bit in the last couple years with the flood of vehicles imported from the US.  Beware of some of the many brokers who offer services to import.  Some of them aren't that up to date on what is required after the vehicle gets here.  Then you are the one holding the bag for having a vehicle that you can't register here in Canada.  A lot of insurance company's will not give you coverage until you can produce an ownership registered to you in the province you live in. 

If you bring a BMW or Benz into Canada it was always the same deal.  Now a lot of the other vehicle manufactures have done the same thing.  It allows them to control where and how their products are sold and distributed.  Bringing a vehicle that was intended for retail sale in the US undermines their distribution and allocations for their CDN dealers that have no choice but to sell for the higher price because the difference in the currency never works out in the way that they distribute and retail their products.  And in Canada Deeley Imports holds the cards for that.
 If there is a way to get around the system, someone might have done it by fluke.

Also they would want you to change the speedo to KM or put little numbered stickers on the speedo glass of the correct km. At the end it would be cheaper to get a bike from here......if you can find one. In my case i went on a waiting list till i got mine. Then i would go on chopper exchange and they were all over the US just sitting there...ish. It looks like it is easier to get one this year as they are already sitting on the floors of dealerships. I did not see any 2011's sitting on the floors over here.

I also looked into getting a Benz 500SL.....They want you to change the dash, ignition and the modal that controls them. Install day time running lights and replace the front and rear bumpers because they don't meet the Canadian safety standards for the rating of speed that they can take in a collision. A Benz dealership has to do the work so you can regester the vehicle. Again cheaper just to buy it here. Also once you buy the vehicle and bring it into Canada you have 7 days (I think) to get the work done or you have to get it out of Canada.

JPK455

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:36:58 AM »

Thanks for the info Jerry just what I was looking for. It's funny that you have to convert to international set up to get it here and people change there international set up to look better with smoked lenses or to look like USA version and it seems to be no problem. What system we have!!!!!!
Thanks again

FLHTCUSE3 Erling

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Wife
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 06:40:59 AM »

What it looks like today. The envelope lights are the US smoked lens and the pig nose was replaced with a smoked LED from Badlands.
Hi Mano,
Where did you get the medallion inder the licence tag?

Thanks, Erling
Ride safe!

2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey Fade (Sold May 2021)
2017 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2021)
2014 FLSTNSE (Sold Sep 2018)
2014 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2018)
2012 FLHTCUSE7 (Sold Jul 2014)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 (Sold Mar 2020)
2008 FLHTCUSE3 (Sold Jul 2011)
2003 FLHTCUI (Sold Apr 2008)
2003 FLHRCI (Sold Feb 2007)
1998 FLSTS (Sold Sep 2005)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »

Hi Mano,

Thanks, Erling

It is the same one that is on the 2011 CVO Road Glide. It IS VIN protected.

jcd520

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »

It is the same one that is on the 2011 CVO Road Glide. It IS VIN protected.

So how did you get one if it is VIN protected. That is a neat piece.

Babkis

• CVO1: Krypto
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »

If you import a Krypto, I would be happy to swap all the parts (mine is a Canadian version) you need, including the rear fender.
"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true." Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

JPK455

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »

Sorry not for sale. I will change it back after inspection, still waiting for the RIV documents to come.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

Hi Mano,

Thanks, Erling

They show up on ebay from time to time if you really want one.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.