Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Wheels/Tires for an FLH  (Read 24395 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Wheels/Tires for an FLH
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 11:03:55 PM »

I know it's a blaspheme, perhaps even a heresy, to suggest something other than chrome.  But Hogpro (and a few others) will provide their wheels without chrome or final polishing and ready for powdercoat.  Hogpro even offers some of their line in a gloss black powercoat:

Don...don't think that I didn't take a really hard look at that black finish...on the Red bike, with an edge of chrome, the powdercoated Red wheel would be something to seriously consider were I in your shoes.

The guy at Hogpro was very helpful and spent a lot of time going over various options with me on the phone.  Seem like good people to do business with, and save you a couple of dollars as well.  Some of their Hogpro line is built by Renegade...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »

Don...don't think that I didn't take a really hard look at that black finish...on the Red bike, with an edge of chrome, the powdercoated Red wheel would be something to seriously consider were I in your shoes.

The guy at Hogpro was very helpful and spent a lot of time going over various options with me on the phone.  Seem like good people to do business with, and save you a couple of dollars as well.  Some of their Hogpro line is built by Renegade...

I'd found their site awhile back.  Reading this see that you're looking there, Q has already been there and a couple of other might have been sniffing around.  It makes a guy feel good to know that others whose judgements are also respected are at least looking around the same place.

I know I'm not doing anything until the current set of tires are worn out.  I'm assuming the back will be gone after the Canada trip.  Only qualifier is I've not a clue yet what to expect out of the Elite IIIs.  Since so much of the mileage on this set of tires will be straight and level highway though they should last well.

Whenever they're worn, however, is when I'm planning on doing something with wheels too.  Actually quite pleased to see a few of you guinea pigging this process now.  It'll be good to know what size tires one can use and what might look better.

What seems to be both yours and the popular choice here is certainly a sweet looking wheel TC.  Against the darker colors of the gray/silver tones and the black of your bike seeing so much more of a chrome wheel will just pop.  It'll be sweet.  I know I'll end up at least considering come powdercoat variation when mine gets done.  But it's good to know that your fallback is always big beautiful chrome.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 11:50:45 PM »

I'd found their site awhile back.  Reading this see that you're looking there, Q has already been there and a couple of other might have been sniffing around.  It makes a guy feel good to know that others whose judgements are also respected are at least looking around the same place.

I know I'm not doing anything until the current set of tires are worn out.  I'm assuming the back will be gone after the Canada trip.  Only qualifier is I've not a clue yet what to expect out of the Elite IIIs.  Since so much of the mileage on this set of tires will be straight and level highway though they should last well.

Whenever they're worn, however, is when I'm planning on doing something with wheels too.  Actually quite pleased to see a few of you guinea pigging this process now.  It'll be good to know what size tires one can use and what might look better.

What seems to be both yours and the popular choice here is certainly a sweet looking wheel TC.  Against the darker colors of the gray/silver tones and the black of your bike seeing so much more of a chrome wheel will just pop.  It'll be sweet.  I know I'll end up at least considering come powdercoat variation when mine gets done.  But it's good to know that your fallback is always big beautiful chrome.

I'd sniffed around in there a couple of months ago and liked what I saw, then stopped by a buddies body shop the other day to see about fixing a dent somebody put in my car door...he's got a SE FB and a Street Glide.  His partner has a Bananna and an SE FB, and they've both put different types of wheels on the two baggers.  Man, it REALLY makes a difference to get more of the wheel showing!!  The Glide is the Cherry color and Mike had put some nice chrome wheels on it...18 back and 19 front...boy did it POP!  Made the whole bike look completely different.

Two or three issues to be resolved though...if you go with the 150 rear tire, it is a bias ply, and then if you put the 19 on the front, it would be a radial.  Not sure about that, though good results have been reported.  If you go with a 160 rear (no mods are necessary), both are radials, but some have had issues with handling then, and some have not.  Another issue is that if you go with matching rotors, they are not floating, though they are high quality solids.  Phil, the guy I was chatting with, uses the Lydell pads on his RK, and said it was like a different bike with those pads, even with the non floating rotors.  Then you get into having to do chrome calipers, of course.  The Hog Halters they offer look pretty nice, and they are direct bolt ons.  Lots of money, but lots of looks too...temptations and decisions about what to do and when...I figure I could sell the stockers on e-bay and get some of it back...

Never have been altogether happy with the stock wheels because of the unchromed parts of the wheel on the 06's...then when I got the V, with those nice solid chrome wheels, and especially the big one on back, it made me think about it even more when I'd clean the bikes up one after the other....the smooth surfaces on the V are soooo much easier to clean, and really do shine up nicely.  Oh well, we'll see how things play out here in the next few weeks...looks over function...forks or wheels...maybe a compromise on the forks and get wheels too? ;) :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 12:50:08 AM »

Been there, done that and lovin it, mostly, 18's front and rear, matching floating rotors and pulley. You will see the pulley with 18's on the back if you have 2-1 pipe for sure. I don't know how to say this other than its a gut feeling thing - I'm not sure I like the 18 on the back. Looks great, don't get me wrong, but gut says something don't feel right. Many bikes come from the factory with 18 front 16 rear, heck the SERK has 18 front 17 rear, I think there's something to it. In general I love the ride and toss the thing around like always but I can just feel something in the weight distribution slightly off making the rear a lil light. Now this doesn't make a lot of sense - wouldn't a set of 16's be the same? Maybe its just the height?
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

hogasm

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »

Metzler 880   160x18" on a 18"x4.25" solid rear rim.

hogasm

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 08:28:13 PM »

With the 160 you will have about 3/8" clearance on the fender to saddlebag bracket. Does not hit even on rough roads. Just had to trim the belt guard a little.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »

Got a chance today to see and touch the Renegade Phoenix wheels on a Black Street Glide...WOW!!! :o :o  This is a really nice set of wheels, so my mind is made up.  Also saw a set of the Aspens as well, on a Bananna, and they look great too, but would not do for my bike, I don't think. 

Now I just have to figure out a way to pay for them... ;)

TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »

You guys have heard me mention Cappy my neighbor before. Well I stopped by his house after work yesterday to get him to go for a ride. He had his Pearl Black FELIX up on the lift so we he took his hotrod FXR. Anyway, I noticed the tread pattern on the rear tire of the Felix and asked him if it was an Elite III. He said yeah, he'd just put it on. I asked him if he changed the front tire. No, why was his response. I said I don't know why, but all the guys on the CVO website say you have to run the Elite III's matched up front and rear. Ok guys WHY ?  Cappy says the bike handles fine.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »

You guys have heard me mention Cappy my neighbor before. Well I stopped by his house after work yesterday to get him to go for a ride. He had his Pearl Black FELIX up on the lift so we he took his hotrod FXR. Anyway, I noticed the tread pattern on the rear tire of the Felix and asked him if it was an Elite III. He said yeah, he'd just put it on. I asked him if he changed the front tire. No, why was his response. I said I don't know why, but all the guys on the CVO website say you have to run the Elite III's matched up front and rear. Ok guys WHY ?  Cappy says the bike handles fine.

B B

Brian, I know religion is to keep them the same front and back.  All I ever made absolutely sure of was that they were the same type front and back (i.e., radials, bias, whatever).  Handling characteristics can get a bit squirrely if the type is mixed front and rear.  But two similar (but still different) Dunlops like the stocker and an EIII?  I'd never worry about it.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2007, 09:47:01 AM »

B B

B B...I've done a lot of research on tires lately because of wanting the wheels and doing it right the first time.  Like Don said, things get a little "wiggly" if you mix radials, bias, but not always.  Running an Elite III and a 402 should not be a problem.  From my studies, the 402's just tend to want to follow groves a bit more because of the straighter tread pattern, that's all.  The Elite's have a pattern similar to the Metz tires...in fact, my SEVrod has an Elite III on the rear.  It's a good handling tire.

I wish somebody would make an 18" rear in a 140, 150, or 160 with at least a 70 profile rated for around the 900 lbs mark, but nobody does!!  There is a huge market out there untapped for that tire.

TTS Mastertune

hogasm

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007, 03:18:32 PM »

I wish somebody would make an 18" rear in a 140, 150, or 160 with at least a 70 profile rated for around the 900 lbs mark, but nobody does!!  There is a huge market out there untapped for that tire.
[/quote]

This was one thing I didn't think of when changing the rear tire out to a 160. When we travel I usually have a tour pack "FULL" and tow a trailer. Now I am worried about towing the trailer so much that I took off my trailer hitch.

If they do come up with a 900# tire I will reconsider trailering with the tour pack again.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32:56 PM »

Thanks for the replys guys Since I go through two rear tires for every front tire, I'm just gonna put the Elite III on the back when it wears out - - - any day now and then when the new rear tire wears out, the orginal front tire will be worn out and  I'll match up front and rear with Elite III's. That'll probably happen on the way to Nelson so I'll get stuck payin full freight for a set of tires at a dealership that's never seen me before. C'est la vie

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 10:02:41 PM »

This was one thing I didn't think of when changing the rear tire out to a 160. When we travel I usually have a tour pack "FULL" and tow a trailer. Now I am worried about towing the trailer so much that I took off my trailer hitch.

If they do come up with a 900# tire I will reconsider trailering with the tour pack again.

B...the 160/60x18 is rated high enough for the load, but according the the Metz rep I talked with, it's the amount of air volume in the tire that is the problem.  I'm sure they are overly cautious in their recommendations because of liability, but he says because of the smaller air volume, the tire gets hotter and will wear quicker...the stock 16" tire is a 90 profile. :nixweiss:  Do you know anyone else running that tire who could report on tire wear?  I guess what he's saying is the profile of the tire makes a difference in how quickly it can dissipate the heat generated with a loaded down rear end.

I figure my bike in present configuration (all the chit I've hung on it), wet, probably weighs in close to 900lbs...the stock 402's are rated for 908 rear and 772 on the front, so let's just say a total of about 1600 lbs, so that leaves 700 lbs for load, though the bike does have a maximum GVW less than that.  I figure the two people are going to weigh (in my case) 300lbs or a little more, depending on what we're wearing...with full leathers on, we're probably closer to 350+.  100 lbs of other chit on board, and I'm pretty damn close to the GVW, though the tires might handle more. 

I was wanting to go with the same rear as you, and the 19 on front, both radials.  But the 19 front is only rated for 557lbs... :nervous:  So, I'm going with the 140/70x18 front which is rated to 667lbs, and sticking with the 16" rear 140/90, rated to 887lbs.  That will keep me well within the tire ratings.

Like I said, I'm sure these tire companies rate their tires very conservatively, so there's probably a wide margin for error.

TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 11:59:54 AM »

Hogasm,
         Just noticed you have a fairly new Donzi. With Don Aronow long dead, who makes them these days. Has the hull shape changed etc etc etc . A zillion questions and this thread is about tires anyway, but I always loved those boats and haven't thought about them in a bit. Everything out here is Fountain, or Formula (yech)

B B

hogasm

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »

Hogasm,
         Just noticed you have a fairly new Donzi. With Don Aronow long dead, who makes them these days. Has the hull shape changed etc etc etc . A zillion questions and this thread is about tires anyway, but I always loved those boats and haven't thought about them in a bit. Everything out here is Fountain, or Formula (yech)

B B

American Marine Holdings  owns Donzi

It's for sale, need room for the new 61'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.