Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: warped rotors  (Read 5240 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: warped rotors
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:08 AM »

I too went through two sets of front rotors last summer. My feeling is that the floating rotor carrier does not have enough structural integrity and can’t handle the load being applied.  It’s permanently deflecting which makes the rotor portion of the assembly run untrue.  In my case I could make that happen with one hard stop.  I asked the dealership to look through their catalog and find the strongest looking rotor they could find (sure was ugly) and put them on.  I needed something that actually worked!  Ran the rest of the season like that with no issue, even with aggressive braking.  Lyndall Bow tie rotors on now with their best (most aggressive) pads and boy does it stop now.  Hopefully they stand up.

The CVO has been using floating rotors for years.  Never had the issue until the 19 CVO.  Not and issue on the 18, or 17, or 15.  I think they just went with cheeper less quality parts to save money. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

I've had 3 CVO's, a 05 SEEG, 09 SERG and now a 15 SERG. None of these came with floating rotors. The 05 & 09 both needed new rotors in less than 6000 miles. I replaced wheels with Renegade brand with there matching floating rotors and replaced the ones on the 09 with HD brand floaters. Never again had a problem with either bike. Current bike has the crappy seven bolt direct fit rotors (no hub). They also warped about 6500K. I replaced them with Galfer Wavy Rotors and their recommended sintered pads. They work good, make a little dust but not overpowering.
Point is I have never owned a CVO that didn't have warped rotors, Ride 2/up almost all the time and not very aggressive anymore. So for me it has always been a problem.
Photo shows results of using Iron-X on rotors. Works good to keep metal particles out of the rotors. FYI

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »

my 2018 cvo fronts are warped as well. never really thought of getting warranty because every time I ask for warranty it isn't covered. after finding this thread Im gunna try to get the dealer to replace mine when I bring it in for the clutch recall. I was thinking of just replacing with beringer breaks and different rotors. but will try the warranty first. and I only have 6500 miles or so although I do ride hard they should last longer than that. my 2014 cvo king lasted 20,000 miles and was ridden equally as hard and I didn't have this issue same breaks as far as I know.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »

I can't believe it. My front rotors need to be replaced again.    I hit the brakes and I have to hang on.   Getting worse and worse each time I ride.    This really sucks.   I think I went maybe 4000 miles on this pair.  Do I replace with the same crappy ones???  Dave...  What should I do??   I've never replaced rotors till I got the 19.. Sad.   Looking for a good solution or suggestion.    Stuart.  😩

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »

I can't believe it. My front rotors need to be replaced again.    I hit the brakes and I have to hang on.   Getting worse and worse each time I ride.    This really sucks.   I think I went maybe 4000 miles on this pair.  Do I replace with the same crappy ones???  Dave...  What should I do??   I've never replaced rotors till I got the 19.. Sad.   Looking for a good solution or suggestion.    Stuart.  😩
Not Dave but, … keep replacing w/free (under OEM warranty or extended warranty if you have it). When it comes time that the replacements are on your dime then for sure look to the aftermarket for something better.... who knows by then you may be ready for another/newer motorcycle. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »

Thanks Dooooood.  I can't believe how bad these are.  I'll be doing it under warranty again. They don't even question me when I tell them.  Thanks again.   Stuart  :( >:(

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »

Thanks Dooooood.  I can't believe how bad these are.  I'll be doing it under warranty again. They don't even question me when I tell them.  Thanks again.   Stuart  :( >:(

It may help to put a dial indicator on the rotors before and after just to check if it’s really the rotors OR the wheel.
I’ve had similar problems with my 17 AND my 19.
Seems to be problems with some wheel bearings also. Mine were replaced at 6000 miles.
 :drink:
HOGMIKE

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »

I guess I should ask them to check out the wheel.  I know when I got it back after the original rotors were replaced, all seemed perfect. Just doesn't last.    Jeez.  Stuart.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 06:33:20 AM »

Have them check the wheel mounting surface to ensure its flat and true.  Have them make sure calipers are properly aligned.  Odds are both are fine and its just china mart rotors...

I have had CVO bikes since 09, and my wife has had 7 touring bikes since 09.  Only my 09 SERG had a rotor replaced once.  All these bikes except my last one went over 45K miles.

My 19 has had the rotors replaced 3 times, even a new front wheel to see if its the problem.  Its not.  I have about 1500 miles or so and Ill need another set of rotors.  I can feel the vibration starting, its slight now, but it will get worse.  6000 miles is the best I have got out of front rotors.  Sad they need replaced more often than tires. 

Harley will continue to replace mine until its not under warranty.  I have complained to customer service twice now on this issue.  I think I will also complain to National Hiway safety and BBB.  This is obviously a defective part, and brakes are a safety issue

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 10:04:54 AM »

I had to bring it by the dealership Thursday. They had to see it this time.  They are ordering me a new pair cause they don't stock them.   I'm considering buying a better set next time. I know these won't last. Utter crap!!  I'll take some recommendations for next time.  Which should be in only 4 months or less.  Thanks.   Stuart.  😩

J.D.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »

Is it possible to heat treat then blanchard grind them true?  I did this with a custom 2-piece rotor (carrier and friction ring were bolted together so it could be disassembled) years ago and it turned out good.

X-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 12:49:49 AM »

My CVO Road Glide has had a pulsation in the front brake starting at 1k miles. Dealer said the Rotors were in spec at that time. At 6K miles it became so severe that it is not safe and would damage the fork bushings or head bearings in my opinion. I measured the run out and it was .007 on one side and .006 on the other. The maximum runout spec is .008. The dealer measured the same as me but they agreed the brakes are bad and are going to replace them anyway.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 01:10:28 AM »

I'm going after market next time.   These stock rotors are just crap.    Nothing else to say.  Stuart.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »

Well had my bike in for the 35K service yesterday with 36K on it.  I have two warranty issues, warped rotors and worn out seat, both repeat issues.

So the first tech is an idiot, so am I for not asking for one of the two I usually use.  He checks rotor run out and says its 3 thousandths and spec is 8.  He test rides the bike and says he cant duplicate the problem.  He reports this to Harley tech.

I get called to service by the service writer my bike is done.  I asked about rotors.  I am told the above.  I politely looked at the service writer and said you know I ride 25K a year, I know when a rotor is bad.  Get a competent tech who actually rides to test my bike.  Tech comes back, yes the rotors are wrapped shakes hard if you hit brakes hard, not so bad under easy braking. 

So I learned, always ask for then two guys I know to do service.  Service writer has rotors on order.  I'm to come back in a few weeks for them to check again and replace.

Called MoCo customer service and asked what they are going to do to figure out the problem, I should not need two sets of rotor for each front tire, and out of warranty I cant afford rotors every 6 to 7 thousand miles, thats 3 or four sets a year.  They of course said nothing, and they haven't heard of this problem. 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 07:59:57 AM »

Well had my bike in for the 35K service yesterday with 36K on it.  I have two warranty issues, warped rotors and worn out seat, both repeat issues.

So the first tech is an idiot, so am I for not asking for one of the two I usually use.  He checks rotor run out and says its 3 thousandths and spec is 8.  He test rides the bike and says he cant duplicate the problem.  He reports this to Harley tech.

I get called to service by the service writer my bike is done.  I asked about rotors.  I am told the above.  I politely looked at the service writer and said you know I ride 25K a year, I know when a rotor is bad.  Get a competent tech who actually rides to test my bike.  Tech comes back, yes the rotors are wrapped shakes hard if you hit brakes hard, not so bad under easy braking. 

So I learned, always ask for then two guys I know to do service.  Service writer has rotors on order.  I'm to come back in a few weeks for them to check again and replace.

Called MoCo customer service and asked what they are going to do to figure out the problem, I should not need two sets of rotor for each front tire, and out of warranty I cant afford rotors every 6 to 7 thousand miles, thats 3 or four sets a year.  They of course said nothing, and they haven't heard of this problem.

I feel your pain. LOL
I haven’t ridden my 2019 in a few months now and instead playing with my 2000 softail.
Much more fun, same power, 5 speed and carburetor.
Put on a Garmin, phone Bluetooth headset helmet.
Now I have just about all the features of the new bike with better reliability.
BSR commented the rear seat is not as comfortable as the 2019, but it is an all day Corbin seat, no issues.
It’s a fun bike.
JMHO
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.