Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crank case sensor ..checking for oil  (Read 1430 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Crank case sensor ..checking for oil
« on: September 14, 2019, 04:59:02 AM »

There has been lots written about checking for excess oil by removing the crank case sensor.  I am new at this and not sure of the procedure or even exactly where the sensor is on my 2019 RG

If anyone has knowledge of this and any photo I would appreciate seeing how to check this and here is why.

.I have been on a trip for two days.  After I ride for about an hour at speeds over 55 and need to accelerate there is no power. It just sputters like it’s not getting fuel and or air.  What’s odd is that if we go through a small town and are running at slow speeds for 5 to 10 minutes it’s fine again for 45 minutes to an hour. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Crank case sensor ..checking for oil
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 09:03:30 AM »

Sounds like a classic case of sumping.  The crank position sensor on the M-8 was moved to the bottom of the cases, it is held in place by one small bolt and has an electrical harness attached.  See if you can find the bulletin on how to check for sumping, I know it's been posted here on the site.  The bulletin number is M1450.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:15:22 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

There has been lots written about checking for excess oil by removing the crank case sensor.  I am new at this and not sure of the procedure or even exactly where the sensor is on my 2019 RG

If anyone has knowledge of this and any photo I would appreciate seeing how to check this and here is why.

.I have been on a trip for two days.  After I ride for about an hour at speeds over 55 and need to accelerate there is no power. It just sputters like it’s not getting fuel and or air.  What’s odd is that if we go through a small town and are running at slow speeds for 5 to 10 minutes it’s fine again for 45 minutes to an hour.

My 19 SG exhibits this behavior intermittently, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »

I’m having the same issues on my CVO 19 RG only 650 miles on it!!! I’m actually looking forward to having the SS oil pump and cam plate installed when I go with the 128 kit first week of September....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »

Service bulletin attached below:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »

Sure sounds like Sumping to me.  All the right symptoms and goes away when ran easy for a bit.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »

I wonder if someone could invent an electric oil pump that would attach where the crank sensor goes and pump that oil back to the oil bag.  The hard part would be making it so the crank sensor still did it's job.
Perhaps there is another place to attach it, say an old power steering pump.  Or run it off the water pump shaft.....hmmmm......

lol

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »

I wonder if someone could invent an electric oil pump that would attach where the crank sensor goes and pump that oil back to the oil bag.  The hard part would be making it so the crank sensor still did it's job.
Perhaps there is another place to attach it, say an old power steering pump.  Or run it off the water pump shaft.....hmmmm......

lol

Better yet, how about making that dry sump engine a wet sump instead.  Then having all that oil in the sump truly would be normal.

Jerry ;)

Btw, I love how Harley does everything they can in that service bulletin procedure to minimize the amount of oil in the sump before they have you drop the crank sensor and make the measurement. like let the engine idle to let the pump put more oil back in the pan first.  When you're riding down the road you don't get to let the engine idle for a few minutes every time the sump gets full enough to cause problems.  They know what the problem is, but still persist in leading people on a wild goose chase to try to avoid fixing all but the very worst cases.  Speaking of cases, those new "form fitting" cases are most likely the root cause of the sumping problem.  Read the early press releases and magazine articles about the new M-8 engine if you don't know what I mean about "form fitting" cases.

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.