Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.  (Read 15842 times)

Buck Rogers

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Traded
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
Re: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 06:04:37 AM »

How does lowering pressure in the primary help stop oil transfer from transmission? I would've thought it had the opposite result.
2019 FLHXSE
2017 FLHXSE Traded
2016 FLHXSE Traded
2012 FLHR Traded
1997 FLHRI Sold
1991 FXRS Sold.

BUCK.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »

How does lowering pressure in the primary help stop oil transfer from transmission? I would've thought it had the opposite result.

In theory the primary is sealed and the trans is vented. Because oil is transferring from the trans into the primary we can competently say there is a passage between the two. I would be the first to claim the primary runs substantially hotter than the trans. During heat up the primary's expanding air or gasses would push into the trans and out the vent. During cool down the the primary would pull a vacuum. Maybe the primary is sucking the the oil out of the trans during cool down? If this is what's actually going on, adding a vent would be the cure. Steve Cole and I both have delt with oil transfer from day one with these M8s on the dyno after running them hard. There are many cool down periods in a normal dyno session while making map adjustments. The symptoms of an over filled primary is power loss and heat gain as the drag from excessive oil increases. Similar situation to the crankcase filling up at a much lower level. The last 2018-117 I dynoed lost a couple of HP at the very end of the tune. I pulled the primay cover and sure enough the oil level was about an inch too high. I never considered the oil being drawn over as the primary cooled? Time for me to try a vent too.

Steve@fullsac.com

Black bikes are faster.
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

mark

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 09:32:44 AM »

Steve, why did we not see the fluid transfer from the trans to the primary on the twin cam bikes?

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 09:45:15 AM »

Steve, why did we not see the fluid transfer from the trans to the primary on the twin cam bikes?

Not a clue? Never grenaded a trans to ever have one apart to see the path or differences.

Steve@fullsac.com

Buck Rogers

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Traded
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »

In theory the primary is sealed and the trans is vented. Because oil is transferring from the trans into the primary we can competently say there is a passage between the two. I would be the first to claim the primary runs substantially hotter than the trans. During heat up the primary's expanding air or gasses would push into the trans and out the vent. During cool down the the primary would pull a vacuum. Maybe the primary is sucking the the oil out of the trans during cool down? If this is what's actually going on, adding a vent would be the cure. Steve Cole and I both have delt with oil transfer from day one with these M8s on the dyno after running them hard. There are many cool down periods in a normal dyno session while making map adjustments. The symptoms of an over filled primary is power loss and heat gain as the drag from excessive oil increases. Similar situation to the crankcase filling up at a much lower level. The last 2018-117 I dynoed lost a couple of HP at the very end of the tune. I pulled the primay cover and sure enough the oil level was about an inch too high. I never considered the oil being drawn over as the primary cooled? Time for me to try a vent too.

Steve@fullsac.com

Black bikes are faster.

Thanks, Steve.

That makes a lot of sense and I hope it is the fix for the transfer problem. I have a 2017 FLHXSE with this problem along with other problems. Been toying with trading for 2019 but waiting to see colours.
2019 FLHXSE
2017 FLHXSE Traded
2016 FLHXSE Traded
2012 FLHR Traded
1997 FLHRI Sold
1991 FXRS Sold.

BUCK.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »

Thanks, Steve.

That makes a lot of sense and I hope it is the fix for the transfer problem. I have a 2017 FLHXSE with this problem along with other problems. Been toying with trading for 2019 but waiting to see colours.

The vent does make sense. The differential and transfer case in every vehicle I have ever owned is vented. I find water in the wheel bearings on my boat trailer every year living in Havasu. It's 115 deg and you back it in the cold water, sucks it right in as it cools. The wheel bearings are not vented. If the vent is the fix, that would explain it. The latest Harley tech read here first on the CVO forum!  "Primary cold suck" discovered and fixed. Let's hope. Lol..

I would hold off on that 2019 until about March. See what has actually been fixed and what new issues were created in the process.

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:08:11 AM by Fullsac Performance »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »

So once again, Harley has changed something and screwed it up, they have to know what it is, but they won't tell us and they won't go back and fix it the right way.  Here comes another band-aid instead.  I can't wait to see this vent they've come up with.  Is it just a hole drilled in the case with a tube attached, or did they at least spend more than a buck to come up with a good vent that won't suck dirt and water into the primary?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »

So once again, Harley has changed something and screwed it up, they have to know what it is, but they won't tell us and they won't go back and fix it the right way.  Here comes another band-aid instead.  I can't wait to see this vent they've come up with.  Is it just a hole drilled in the case with a tube attached, or did they at least spend more than a buck to come up with a good vent that won't suck dirt and water into the primary?

Jerry
Jerry other than a picture of one someone made I think, I haven't seen HD's one but I'd hope it would cost more than a buck but who knows.
 I can say that it has solved the transfer from the guy I knows CVO, he was transferring his tranny dry around 500 miles and now he's had 0 transfer in 2000 miles. He had ran the trans dry 3 times it was so bad. I actually think that Cool Springs HD came up with this fix on there own according to what I read. StoneCold also has a fix but it's a bit more complicated but works as well. It's over on the HD forums, he and Steve Cole came up with his fix.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

bf2002flht

• Junior CVO Member
  • for sale
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »

Well just got my bike back today, Harley installed a breather hose in my primary since the first fix made it worse. The HD fix looks nothing like the pic earlier in this thread (thank goodness). My dealer called MOCO for direction and they sent them a primary vent/breather kit. It’s almost unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. I will try to get a pic later, but this is my direct experience and bike.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2019, 06:58:47 AM »

Well just got my bike back today, Harley installed a breather hose in my primary since the first fix made it worse. The HD fix looks nothing like the pic earlier in this thread (thank goodness). My dealer called MOCO for direction and they sent them a primary vent/breather kit. It’s almost unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. I will try to get a pic later, but this is my direct experience and bike.
What was the first fix they tried that made it worse?
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

bf2002flht

• Junior CVO Member
  • for sale
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:09 AM »

What was the first fix they tried that made it worse?
It was an oil deflector that went in under the transmission side cover. Apparently it’s the first attempt step. I was told when they put the vent tube in the primary the instructions were to remove the first fix.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »

I for one would still love to know why this wasn't a problem on the earlier engines but became a big problem on the M8's.  As best I can tell the primary has always run hotter than the trans, but that didn't lead to fluid transfer on the TC's.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bf2002flht

• Junior CVO Member
  • for sale
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:41 AM »

I for one would still love to know why this wasn't a problem on the earlier engines but became a big problem on the M8's.  As best I can tell the primary has always run hotter than the trans, but that didn't lead to fluid transfer on the TC's.

Jerry
It’s funny that the TSA 0022 (I think) refers to 14-16 and 17-18. So somebody at HD heard about it I would guess, but it’s MOCO, who knows. I do agree I never heard of it prior to the M8’s either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2019, 10:32:28 AM »

It’s funny that the TSA 0022 (I think) refers to 14-16 and 17-18. So somebody at HD heard about it I would guess, but it’s MOCO, who knows. I do agree I never heard of it prior to the M8’s either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealership now has access to the kit to fix the issue and they are allowed to do it with their technicians instead of waiting on factory techs to come out.
There is still a “procedure “ to do before the fix, but I’ll bet it will be a running change from the factory.
 8)
HOGMIKE

flash1034

• CA

• CVO1: 2019 CVO Road Glide-Red Pepper
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »

Dealership now has access to the kit to fix the issue and they are allowed to do it with their technicians instead of waiting on factory techs to come out.
There is still a “procedure “ to do before the fix, but I’ll bet it will be a running change from the factory.
 8)

Anybody have a picture of this fix?
2019 CVO Road Glide
Red Pepper/Magnetic Gray
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.