Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1306 times)

Stewie_FL

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

What would you do?
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »

Ok guys, I just have to through this out there and ask what you would do if this happened to you. I know what I would do.

Guy I ride with took his trike to the local Harley dealer. I will not call them out because last time he had a problem I did and he got mad.

So, he takes his trike to the dealer to have slip-ons and flashing LED tail lamps put on. Tells the service department exactly what he wants and drops off the bike. He paid $1100.00+ and tipped the service writer, parts guy, and mechanic all $20.00 before looking at the bike. When he goes to pick up the bike, the new LED tail lights do not flash, and the slip-ons are not even the brand he ordered. The dealer told him, well these were cheaper than the ones you wanted and we figured you would like them better. They never called and asked him, they just took it on themselves to change what he wanted.

WTF were they thinking? I said that's like taking your black bike in for service and when you get it back, it's painted red and they tell you we thought you would like the bike better in red.

Have any of you ever heard of a dealer just changing your order without asking? This just blows my mind. Don't think I will take me CVO there for service, might get a Goldwing back.
2020 CVO Ultra Limited
2011 Heritage Softail Classic

Past

1975 Suzuki TS125
1978 Honda CB750K
1991 Kawasaki ZX6
1992 Suzuki GSXR1100
1995 Honda Goldwing Anniversary Edition
1999 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600
2017 Street Glide Special

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »

My alarm bells went off when you mentioned he paid and tipped in advance of the work being done. In my experience with repair/service work you only pay in advance for custom parts customer wants but labor and shop fees paid upon final inspection. What you described would not pass inspection with me and I would have gone to service manager as a starting point then higher up the food chain as needed.....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »

Agree with VaEagle.  Do not pay upfront. Pay after job is completed. Sounds like that dealer had some slip ons sitting around they wanted to get rid of. Unacceptable.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »

Well given the history here, I would do nothing. Not your bike, not your shop, not your circus.

"A lesson will be repeated, until it is learned" - Confucius
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

mark

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 01:04:56 PM »

Would not have accepted the bike - put the original mufflers back on, make the taillights flash, pay for that, then I’d go elsewhere.

Stewie_FL

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:46:49 PM »

Yes, he did not accept it. Told them to make it right. Now has to wait another week for them to order the parts he asked for in the first place. Me, I would have ordered my own parts and put them on myself. I do as much of my own work as I can just to avoid hack jobs. I found out one mechanic I was going to would take off parts from a  new bike and replace them with old parts. If I was him, I would have told them put the bike back the way it was. Try to get the cost of labor back and go somewhere else.

I just can't believe they would even think of putting on parts he didn't approve. What is wrong with these people down here?
2020 CVO Ultra Limited
2011 Heritage Softail Classic

Past

1975 Suzuki TS125
1978 Honda CB750K
1991 Kawasaki ZX6
1992 Suzuki GSXR1100
1995 Honda Goldwing Anniversary Edition
1999 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600
2017 Street Glide Special

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »

2nd time?

My lawyer would be involved at this point

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »

Is it a common practice to tip the service department at dealers? I have never done so and can't imagine that is a common practice.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:40:59 PM »

Is it a common practice to tip the service department at dealers? I have never done so and can't imagine that is a common practice.
Actually I do at Christmas time every year. The guys take care of me all year long. If I take my bike in for service and it's really filthy and comes back nice and shiny, I'll toss the porter $20 then.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:06:59 AM »

Never considered tipping service writers or mechanics.  I figure at $75 to $125/hour, they should be tipping me. 

Now I know the mechanics don't get that total but still, that's highway robbery and throw another $20 on top of that for tipping?  Last time a service department (correction, an HD service department) performed service on my bike (I discovered all of this when I performed the next service) the oil filter was tighter than dick's hatband and three of the 5 screw heads for the primary service cover broke when I attempt removing them for oil change.  I had to drill and tap to get them out they were so tight.  That 30 minute routine service took me a day and a half because of the dealer's service dept.

Glad there was no tip involved with that service... :2vrolijk_21:

I did use the service department for the first, 500 mile service on Cochise.  They were $200 less expensive than the first HD service AND they let me watch them.  They did everything on the list and were very friendly when I had a question.  Still, no tipping involved.

When you perform you own service, where would the tip come from?... :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

By the way, to answer the original posting, I wouldn't pay for ANYTHING until the requested work had been completed, we (me and the mechanic and/or service writer) inspect for proper install and equipment, they had the old parts for me to take home (I would have requested that up front) and it was at least as clean as it was when I brought it in.  If it wasn't as I expected, it would get reworked and problems corrected on their dime.  At that point, payment...still no tip.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:16:02 AM by Haird »

mark

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »

A tip is supposed to be for exceptional service, above and beyond what’s expected.  Pre-tipping before the work is done is a bad practice (IMO) because you may be tipping for poor service, as described by the OP.  On a personal note, I’m not tipping a HD dealer - they make enough off of bike sales, parts, labor, clothing, etc.  Traditionally, this isn’t a service where a tip is customary. 

Out of curiosity, when buying a $45k motorcycle would you feel compelled to tip the sales staff?  Not me.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 10:24:05 AM »

So far I have only needed ESP work done at the dealer, I always tip my mechanic and always ask (demand) the same guy do the work.  He is always very tuned in to my needs and wants and I have never felt I wasted the tip.  He never once said "they all do that" or "I cannot reproduce the problem".  I tell him my concern, new parts are installed.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:18 PM »

Don't tip every time I get service - I do occasionally.  Dealer has picked up my bike when needed with their bike hauler & sometimes goes above & beyond the usual when doing service.  That's when I tip.  The porter does an excellent job washing the bike (that was not always the case) & I have tipped for that.

I view tipping as something given for something extra.  Whatever that "extra' is can be subjective.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 23 queries.