Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insurance: Progressive vs Geico  (Read 1578 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Insurance: Progressive vs Geico
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »

I'm wondering what your experience has been with your insurance company paying out.  That's when it really counts.

Progressive wants $600 ($715 less $112 if pd in full) in MN for my 2009 Road Glide.  Geico wants $450 (pd in full).

Progressive:  Liability  500,000 combined single limit each accident           cost: 110.00
                    Uninsured/underinsured:  500,000 combined single limit each accident    cost: 197
                    Medical payments: 5000 each person    cost: 82
                    Accessories: 3000  cost: included
                   Comp and Collison limits not noted, but zero deductible   cost: 53 and 272

Geico Quote: Liability   250,000/500,000         cost: 35
                    Property damage   50,000          cost: 10
                    Medical payments  5000             cost: 60
                    Uninsured   250,000/500,000      cost: 81
                    Underinsured  250,000/500,000  cost: 150
                    Comp    500 ded                         cost: 27
                    Collision 500 ded                        cost: 84
                    Accesories  3500                         included

Do you more qualified people see any red flags?  Other than not having a local agent, who does our house/cars, to call?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Insurance: Progressive vs Geico
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:24:08 PM »

As a retiree from a major insurance company I would suggest first off to get your coverage from a company direct. Bypass an agent at all costs. I as well as all the folks I worked with over the years slowly did away with any agent involvement on our personal stuff.
As you probably know, the agent's income has to come from somewhere, and it's not going to be me. The agents ability over the years to have a monetary affect on your business has slowly eroded to practically nothing. The rates you listed seem very much inline. I would, if I were you, go by the dealership you would use for repairs in case of a loss and ask the service manager who he has the best luck with overall and probably go with that company.
You can always have repairs done at your shop of choice, this is the law. But some folks prefer to go to a Insurance company preferred shop, this usually would include repairs being monitored by the staff adjuster in the area, extended warranty from your insurance company, valet (usually on cars only) extended rental, if needed. But others want to control all that themselves, me included. But it will help if your company also uses or at least works well with the same dealer or shop you prefer and the best way to find out is to ask the shop.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »

Thanks Don. Good advice. I'll go ask them.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:50:59 PM »

the only info that i can give you in this regards is purely anecdotal.  i've made 4 claims through progressive.  the first one was when my bike was attempted to be stolen and the guy dropped it.  did over $1300 in damages.  second one, my wife's bike fell over while on the lift, damaging the crash bar and front fender, about $1000 in damages.  those were several years ago.  but then a year ago last october i hit a deer on the way to work.  luckily i didn't go down, but had about $3500 in damages to the bike.  then in march, i was rear ended while waiting to make a left turn, totaling the bike.

in all instances, i felt like i was treated very fairly, and didn't have to fight for anything.  in fact, because i was able to do the labor myself, i actually made out ahead.  in the last instance where the bike was totaled, i ended up with a check for the bike for $25,000.  paid $33,000 for it back in 2013 and put 40,000 miles on it.  i did not have much in the way of aftermarket accessories, so the the $3,000 included covered what i had added.

now, none of these really affected my rate, except in the last case i went from a 2012 and a 2013 to two 2019 roadglide specials.  so, yes, my rate did go up because of the different value of the bike.  and i do have new bike replacement for the first 2 years as well.

contrast this to a guy i knew in the military.  no tickets, no accidents.  got into a wreck and had to fight with geico to get his bike fixed, and then afterward, they cancelled him.

i can't say if they are like that everywhere, but that's my experience here.  i have no problems recommending progressive.

oh, and there are at least 3 ways to get progressive.  the first is direct through their website.  the second through hd insurance, and the 3rd is through usaa.  (this is in addition to using a local agent of course).  i got a quote all 3 ways.  surprisingly, going through hd insurance was the cheapest.  i've been with them now for 18 years.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:01:31 AM »

My Opinion -

Your Liability covers "damages that you do to others."  500,000 seems high for your bike.   You'd REALLY have to do some damage and hit multiple vehicles to do 1/2 mill in damages to others.   For a bike I'd personally recommend 100G or only slightly higher.

If your state allows it then I would drop Uninsured/Underinsured completely because it looks like you are getting Comp and Collision.   These would kick in automatically in the event that the party that hits you is underinsured or uninsured so it would be unnecessary to have both (Again, a few states require it)

Check with NATIONWIDE - They are the best!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »

Both are reputable (as far as insurance companies go) companies.  I've had both, never had a claim however so can't help you there.  One thing I noted however is that your two quotes are not for the same coverage, so you're comparing apples to oranges.  If you're getting those quotes online, adjust both to the same limits and coverage before comparing quotes.

What I've learned over the years is that blindly staying loyal to one company for many years will cost you money.  They all make claims about saving you significant money if you switch to them; the reason they can do that is your first year is discounted but they will make it up later.  They all assume you will just stay with them after you switch so they can make up that first year discount and then some.  I now get fresh quotes every year on all my vehicular policies, and rarely wind up staying with the same company more than two years in a row.  In the old days before direct quotes and purchases, many people touted the personal relationship with a good agent as reason to stick with one company.  These days more and more of us do not use agents.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:45:12 AM »

My insurance is through USAA, but they do not write motorcycle policies since 2009.  USAA has progressive underwrite their policies now.

So I have been with progressive for 10 years.  My policy clearly states after five years you get major accident forgiveness and many other perks.

March 9, 2017 my wife went down on 1-75.  My wife was not at fault.  They 18-wheeler was cited for failure to maintain his equipment and negligence.  Progressive had to pay out 33,000 dollars for the bike.  That said, they were reimbursed by the trucking company as was my medical insurance. 

October 2019 I was hit by a woman in a car with no insurance while she was on her cell.  8700 dollar damage to my bike.

Progressive just issued a no-renual notice on my motorcycle policy.  So I call, talked with a under-writer supervisor.  She stated I was dropped because we had over 40K in claims in 3 years.  I explained they recouped their loss on my wife's bike so they only had 8700 in pay out as the lady that hit me had no insurance and my uninsured driver had to cover it.  I also explained both accidents that were not our fault the other party was cited.  She said she would take it up the food chain and see what could be done, she agreed that they should not drop me with the accident forgiveness and not being our fault.

Well it comes back Progressive does not care who's fault.  Progressive states and accident is an accident, we had two, and over 40K payout even if it was recovered its still 40K claims.

So I asked why do they insure a CVO, if you total it, they will drop you.

No complaints with how they paid out and treated each wreck.  My only issue is they drop you, even when not your fault.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 10:18:08 AM »

I'm wondering what your experience has been with your insurance company paying out.  That's when it really counts.

Progressive wants $600 ($715 less $112 if pd in full) in MN for my 2009 Road Glide.  Geico wants $450 (pd in full).

Progressive:  Liability  500,000 combined single limit each accident           cost: 110.00
                    Uninsured/underinsured:  500,000 combined single limit each accident    cost: 197
                    Medical payments: 5000 each person    cost: 82
                    Accessories: 3000  cost: included
                   Comp and Collison limits not noted, but zero deductible   cost: 53 and 272

Geico Quote: Liability   250,000/500,000         cost: 35
                    Property damage   50,000          cost: 10
                    Medical payments  5000             cost: 60
                    Uninsured   250,000/500,000      cost: 81
                    Underinsured  250,000/500,000  cost: 150
                    Comp    500 ded                         cost: 27
                    Collision 500 ded                        cost: 84
                    Accesories  3500                         included

Do you more qualified people see any red flags?  Other than not having a local agent, who does our house/cars, to call?
There has been a lot of good advice here and can’t tell you what insurance is best, the only thing I would look into if you ride without a helmet. Some states require you to have 10,000 dollars in medical insurance to ride in that state without a helmet, Florida and Michigan come to mind. I always where a helmet and maybe you do too. but might be something to think about. I don’t think they check and maybe it only applies to the person living in that state. I’m sure others on here are more qualified to answer that question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »

I have a comment regarding Liab Policy limits. Use the above comment of $100K. You wander out of your lane, or turn in front of New Escalade which in avoiding you hits a Grand Cherokee and then a guardrail and damages a Electronic component light pole (I am referencing a actual claim I worked). The Escalade totaled with tax & recovery & options = $107K, The Cherokee had $21K in damage + rental reimbursement and towing + loss of value = $23.5K, the state damage (pole/guardrail) was $26K. For a total of $156.5K. You know where the $56.5K came from after the policy paid max of $100K? The originators pocket, monthly payments after trial.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »

I went to the Harley dealership this morning and asked which insurance company they like to work with the best and they said Progressive, no question.

mark

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 09:16:28 PM »

I have a comment regarding Liab Policy limits. Use the above comment of $100K. You wander out of your lane, or turn in front of New Escalade which in avoiding you hits a Grand Cherokee and then a guardrail and damages a Electronic component light pole (I am referencing a actual claim I worked). The Escalade totaled with tax & recovery & options = $107K, The Cherokee had $21K in damage + rental reimbursement and towing + loss of value = $23.5K, the state damage (pole/guardrail) was $26K. For a total of $156.5K. You know where the $56.5K came from after the policy paid max of $100K? The originators pocket, monthly payments after trial.

I agree.  You cause an accident on your bike, resulting in a high end Mercedes, Ford Platinum F250, and a Tesla to be heavily damaged, you could easily exceed $100k. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:03:36 PM by Mark »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »

Oftentimes your state department of insurance maintains records of complaints against insurance companies.  They will express them in terms of per 1000 policies written.  If you're trying to predict which company will give you the most grief if you have a claim this is a pretty accurate measure.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 25 queries.