Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: What order do you do a total detail?  (Read 7427 times)

Sean M Cary

What order do you do a total detail?
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »

Tank down?  Wheels up?  Total wash down, or do you work a section at a time?   :nixweiss:

I have not owned a bike as nice as my "new" 03 SERK - and before I dive in and learn the hard way, can anyone give me a rough idea of the go around for a detail?

Sean

SPIDERMAN

Re: What order do you do a total detail?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »

Tank down?  Wheels up?  Total wash down, or do you work a section at a time?   :nixweiss:

I have not owned a bike as nice as my "new" 03 SERK - and before I dive in and learn the hard way, can anyone give me a rough idea of the go around for a detail?

Sean

Sempi Fi Dude
                  Welcome to the site and Congrats on the 03 SERK. That's one of the best of the best for CVO's.

If the bike has any grit (like from riding in the rain) the 1st order of business is to wash it using LOTS of water and LOTS of soap. You don't want to push that grit around and scratch it. I also sometimes spray the motor down with GUNK, but local ordinances can cause you grief on that, so be aware. Once washed, either towel dry or blow dry using one of those motorcycle dryers

Once washed, I put my on a lift. If you don't have one go down to your local Kragin Auto (or facsimile) and buy one for about $70. Put the bike up in the air and work your way up. You want to get all the grease, oil and grime off before you even think about polish and wax.

Next, I go over the entire bike with Harley Spray Cleaner and Polish. After that, (twice a year) I use a commercial sealant to protect the finish against UV. Then I wax the entire bike with a yellow carnuba wax, wipe off, buff and polish. In between wax jobs I use a detail spray like Harley Gloss or McGuire's.

One thing you need to invest in is some turkish towels (for wiping off cleaner and polish) and some micro-fibre cloths for final polish. Use old towels etc for getting the grime off the bottom of your engine etc.

Make sure you have a different cloth(rag) for every use and keep em separate. I toss em in a bucket filled with water and a bottle of Spray and Wash and when the bucket is full, dump it in the washing machine and cycle it. Make sure you do two loads, one for the really dirty and one for the mostly wax/polish covered. Two reasons. A) you don't want to chance getting grit in the micro-fibre cloths and B) the second wash rinses the machine so wifey doesn't go to use the machine and get some left over greasy rinse water on her Victoria's Secret

Having said all that, there's guys on the site that get into high end products, buffing machines and go to lengths that make what I've described seem rather pedestrian, but my bike's always look good even after 1,000's of miles of riding

B B 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:25:17 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

Regarding washing, everyone is different but I go from the top down.   After washing the saddlebags, I take them off and then do the tires and wheels last with a different wash mit than what I use on the chrome and painted surfaces.  

Spiderman did you a nice write up.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:17:53 PM by Boatman »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »

I do about the same as BB only I put it on the lift (Sears ATV) before beginning the detail. Remove the saddlebags (put them on Bagrrest Bag Stands), and seat so I can clean behind/under those areas.

Take your time, enjoy, and have some cold refreshments ready for those hot days when you and the bike are getting to know each other. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »

I kinda do the same but I'm a front to back top down kinda guy.  I lift it up to make the whole cleaning process easier.  Much easier to clean the wheels if you can spin 'em.  What lengths I go depends on how dirty Thunder gets.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »

I do about the same as BB only I put it on the lift (Sears ATV) before beginning the detail. Remove the saddlebags (put them on Bagrrest Bag Stands), and seat so I can clean behind/under those areas.

Take your time, enjoy, and have some cold refreshments ready for those hot days when you and the bike are getting to know each other. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d, if I read your post correctly, you're saying you wash your bike ON the lift.

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »

d00d, if I read your post correctly, you're saying you wash your bike ON the lift.

B B
Yep, I do. Makes it much easier to clean the wheels (turning them) and underneath the bike.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »

B B

Is that a problem?
I wash mine like dOOd, with it on the lift.
The lift is locked down and not going anywhere.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:40:09 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »

I kinda do the same but I'm a front to back top down kinda guy.  I lift it up to make the whole cleaning process easier.  Much easier to clean the wheels if you can spin 'em.  What lengths I go depends on how dirty Thunder gets.

Seegarz

That makes 3 of us!!

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »

My Handy BOB 1500 is in the garage which is carpeted. My driveway slopes from the garage door all the way to the street. Don't think I could manage it, but thanks for putting the idea in my head. If you see a post some day with a bunch of foul language aimed at you guys about my bike taking off down the driveway on the lift, it'll be your fault(s)

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »

Errr, ummm. I wouldn't recommend detailing bike on a lift that wasn't on a level surface. :nervous: I also use the Craftsmen ATV jack not a table lift. You might just want to continue detailing the way you are doing presently. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

I've got one of those little portable jobs Gary. Bought it at Kragin Auto. Same thing as Sears and a bunch of other place sell. It's actually pretty sturdy. We use it to change front wheels since it's a whole lot easier than screwin around with taking the clamp assembly off the table lift. Anyway, the sucker's got casters on it and that's the part that plays hell on a slope.

By the way, Beags has this monster portable lift that he bought from J&P Cycles for like $450 years ago before Sears and everybody else started selling em so cheap. He'd like to sell it but the shipping costs would be murder. Maybe our new member that started this thread could PM him and work something out. 

Hey Semper Fi Dude, PM Screamin_Beagle if you'd like a deal on a hell of a portable lift for your bike

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »

Sempi Fi Dude
                  Welcome to the site and Congrats on the 03 SERK. That's one of the best of the best for CVO's.

Semper Fi to you - it was Dad's, a Force Recon Gunnery Sergeant - passed to me now that he is guarding the streets of heaven. :angel:  Tag is 10NOV75...

I am realizing quickly that I need a lift - may go the cheaper route first, but am really liking the J & S one...just gotta fit it in the budget.  I prefer to cry once when getting tool...   :bigcry: 

Did a walk around the bike today between a million other things going on!  Dad was insane about taking care of it, needs some care from sitting, found cobwebs in the front fender...  Some dry rotted vac fittings on the EFI/Intake.  Just needs some love, it sat for a year before he died and it was passed to me.  Gonna do a detail, fire it up for a ride and get home and change all the fluids.  Rubber is new, just sat for longer then I would have cared for it to.

Oh well, I really appreciate the reply!

Sean

Sean

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »

Sean,
Lots of good advice regarding procedures, etc. 
Here's another thing I do.  I use a 2 bucket method when washing the bike.
1 bucket for suds, the 2nd bucket with water only.
After a swipe on the bike with your soapy mitt, ALWAYS dip & rinse the mitt in the 2nd bucket before inserting back into the suds.

With this method, you cut down on introducing grit back into you soapy water and eliminate transferring back to the bike.  :2vrolijk_21:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 08:44:14 PM »

Semper Fi to you - it was Dad's, a Force Recon Gunnery Sergeant - passed to me now that he is guarding the streets of heaven. :angel:  Tag is 10NOV75...

I am realizing quickly that I need a lift - may go the cheaper route first, but am really liking the J & S one...just gotta fit it in the budget.  I prefer to cry once when getting tool...   :bigcry: 

Did a walk around the bike today between a million other things going on!  Dad was insane about taking care of it, needs some care from sitting, found cobwebs in the front fender...  Some dry rotted vac fittings on the EFI/Intake.  Just needs some love, it sat for a year before he died and it was passed to me.  Gonna do a detail, fire it up for a ride and get home and change all the fluids.  Rubber is new, just sat for longer then I would have cared for it to.

Oh well, I really appreciate the reply!

Sean

Sean

Sean,
       Like I said, PM Screamin_Beagle. He's got this awesome portable lift he'd like to get rid of. All of us have table lifts so nobody close by needs it. I know he doesn't want much for it, just would like to pass it along to someone who can use it.

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »

Sean,
       Like I said, PM Screamin_Beagle. He's got this awesome portable lift he'd like to get rid of. All of us have table lifts so nobody close by needs it. I know he doesn't want much for it, just would like to pass it along to someone who can use it.

B B

Size?  Price?  Both are a limiter to a Government Service type!  I was 2k over LAST move - need to make LtCol so I get the extra weight and the extra $$ flow...will know Jan 09 if that comes true!!

Sean

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »

Size?  Price?  Both are a limiter to a Government Service type!  I was 2k over LAST move - need to make LtCol so I get the extra weight and the extra $$ flow...will know Jan 09 if that comes true!!

Sean

What I've seen with guys in the Navy I know trying to get stuff forward shipped is the vendor's won't ship to a FPO or whatever you call it in the Marines. It's large, about 50" long by 30" wide and maybe 10" deep folded up. Weighs about 75lbs I'd say. Price- - - I have no idea, send a PM as I suggested. All I know is you have a chance to buy 4 times the quality lift here that the ones that Sears and the autoparts stores sell for a fraction of the new price.  Ok, nuff said by me on this. It's your choice.

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »

What I've seen with guys in the Navy I know trying to get stuff forward shipped is the vendor's won't ship to a FPO or whatever you call it in the Marines. It's large, about 50" long by 30" wide and maybe 10" deep folded up. Weighs about 75lbs I'd say. Price- - - I have no idea, send a PM as I suggested. All I know is you have a chance to buy 4 times the quality lift here that the ones that Sears and the autoparts stores sell for a fraction of the new price.  Ok, nuff said by me on this. It's your choice.

B B

Done

Thanks!

Sean

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »

Sean,
Not much I can add to Spiderman's and d00d's comments on detailing...Terry, TCnBham, may have some more thoughts on detailing.  The only thing I can add and I think it was touched on, I use separate water and mits/rags when doing the wheels (first) and bottom of the engine (after wheels), from what I used for the painted parts...this definitely keeps the potential for grit away from the painted parts.  If you do wash outside on the yard or driveway, and don't have soft water, either put HD Sun Wash in your bucket of water, or use the Mr. Clean filtered spray attachment (which is what I use) to rinse the bike off.  I've used the Mr. Clean attachment out in direct sunlight when washing the bike and the water dries sometimes before I get a towel or blower to it and with it, there's no spotting.  It's worth the $19 or $20 to avoid spotting.  Just my $0.02

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »

Sean,
Total wash from the bottom up.  I put mine on a J&S Jack, and wash the wheels, tires and inside of the fenders first.  Then I take it off the jack and get after the entire under carriage.  For this stage, I use a soft bristle brush, a terry towel, a bottle brush and Glare Ultra Wash.  Then I change the soap water, get rid of everything except the bottle brush, and add one micro fiber.  Then I wash the rest of the bike from the bottom up using the bottle brush to get into unreachable places like jug fins and the front of the cam chest.  I always rinse heavily, then rinse some more.  Wash/rinse is followed by a drydown with a leaf blower.  Then I put the bike back on the J&S jack and start detail cleaning.  If I'm going to apply a coat of Glare, then that is next, followed by a wipe down with Honda Spray.  All leather gets a good coat of Glare Leather Protectant.  Once it drys, I buff it out with a 100% cotton cloth.  That's it................but that detail cleaning takes quite awhile.  Good Luck!!!!

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »

Sean,

I wash it top to bottom, then after it is clean I remove bags, side covers, seat,and start drying each piece with a microfiber cloth. Blow the bike dry with my AirForce Blower. Then I detail the bike on  my jack. After the carcass of the bike and wheels are detailed. I polish chrome and then spray Nano wax on the painted parts and reattach everything removed earlier. After reassembly I go over a final time to polish entire bike top-to-bottom one last time to ensure no water spots. Take it for a cruise around the block and wipe off any water that might have been hiding some ware. Entire process takes about 3+ hours on my SEUC.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Sean M Cary

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »

Sean,
Not much I can add to Spiderman's and d00d's comments on detailing...Terry, TCnBham, may have some more thoughts on detailing.  The only thing I can add and I think it was touched on, I use separate water and mits/rags when doing the wheels (first) and bottom of the engine (after wheels), from what I used for the painted parts...this definitely keeps the potential for grit away from the painted parts.  If you do wash outside on the yard or driveway, and don't have soft water, either put HD Sun Wash in your bucket of water, or use the Mr. Clean filtered spray attachment (which is what I use) to rinse the bike off.  I've used the Mr. Clean attachment out in direct sunlight when washing the bike and the water dries sometimes before I get a towel or blower to it and with it, there's no spotting.  It's worth the $19 or $20 to avoid spotting.  Just my $0.02

Gonna try the Mr. Clean thing...wife scored one for me at Wally World.

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »

Sean,

I wash it top to bottom, then after it is clean I remove bags, side covers, seat,and start drying each piece with a microfiber cloth. Blow the bike dry with my AirForce Blower. Then I detail the bike on  my jack. After the carcass of the bike and wheels are detailed. I polish chrome and then spray Nano wax on the painted parts and reattach everything removed earlier. After reassembly I go over a final time to polish entire bike top-to-bottom one last time to ensure no water spots. Take it for a cruise around the block and wipe off any water that might have been hiding some ware. Entire process takes about 3+ hours on my SEUC.

Mark

which AirForce do you have the BIG 199 one or the smaller 90ish dollar one?

Sean

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »

which AirForce do you have the BIG 199 one or the smaller 90ish dollar one?

Sean

The big one, I didn't think the small one would powerful enough.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »

I take it out in the rain to get cleaned! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

I take it out in the rain to get cleaned! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie never has to clean his ride.  As fast as he rides, dirt just blows off, it never gets a chance to settle on the bike.   :P :huepfenlol2:

2012 FLHXSE3

REGGAB

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Howie never has to clean his ride.  As fast as he rides, dirt just blows off, it never gets a chance to settle on the bike.   :P :huepfenlol2:

The really cool part is................he dodges bugs and rain drops too!  Cybil II was surprisingly tidy this past Sunday!  Now THAT'S skill!   :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

The really cool part is................he dodges bugs and rain drops too!  Cybil II was surprisingly tidy this past Sunday!  Now THAT'S skill!   :2vrolijk_21:

Henry, like you, I've had first hand experience trying to follow Howie.  When a bunch of us went through Skyline drive together (most of us were about 30 mins behind Howie) and got off at Charlottesville/Saunton area, I had bugs on my SEUC.  Howie went so fast through the mountains, that he didn't have one spatter on his bike anywhere....amazing....he even rides faster than incoming bugs... ::)

2012 FLHXSE3

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »

Henry, like you, I've had first hand experience trying to follow Howie.  When a bunch of us went through Skyline drive together (most of us were about 30 mins behind Howie) and got off at Charlottesville/Saunton area, I had bugs on my SEUC.  Howie went so fast through the mountains, that he didn't have one spatter on his bike anywhere....amazing....he even rides faster than incoming bugs... ::)

:ROFLOL:  Couple the speed with his Traxxion Dynamics forks, Bitubos, and True-Track, and he's gonna save lots of bug lives!   :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »

Call the detail guy...smoke and drink a coupla barley pops until he is done...
Drive in sprinkler runoff and swear never to do it again...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »

How often do you all get there?  I am PCS'ing back to VA next year to work at MCB Quantico, will live in the Fredericksburg/Stafford area and will be out in the Shenandoah's as often as I can...we love it there. 

Planning to buy land there for when I retire.  It is great riding there, love the twisty roads up to the park entrance near Luray. 

Cannot imagine hitting it during the lady bug mating...that would be a MESS.  :-X :-X

Sean
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.