Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Protection from Salt Air  (Read 11344 times)

Bull_Duck

• FL

• CVO1: 2008 Dyna FXDSE2 105th Anniversary - Copper Metallic & Black
Re: Protection from Salt Air
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »

I rinse in every couple of days but the corrosion and rust and chrome pitting is terriable.
A dealer I was talking to was telling me that had a treatment that cost $1000 that they apply to the bike that would protect it and I wouldent have to wax it for 3 years, it sounded like BS to me and just another way of getting more money out if me similar to when car dealers used to try to charge for undercoating, which they never did but got paid for it.

The $1K expense is BS. I live in Florida too, and for $1K I will spray something on your bike too.

Rinse your bike down after a ride, and periodically even if you don't ride. Blow it off with a leaf blower. Wipe it down with a nano micro rag. Put your bike away in your garage or other enclosed space like your living room.

Chrome in my experience that is parallel to the ground is most likely to become pitted because humidity with salt will condense there. Use S100 in your rinse offs, and glob some Vaseline on the larger horizontal parts.

Or, move to Nebraska and don't ride in the winter.
2000 Deuce, Screamin' Eagle # Tangerine Paint Set
2008 FXDSE2 105th Anniversary CVO Dyna
2008 FLTR 105th Anniversary Road Glide

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »

Store in a bubble cover
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

HVACdraftsman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 10:34:30 PM »

All good suggestions, maybe its time to put a little more effort into taking care of it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a garage, I park it whenever it's not brig used in a 6x10 enclosed utility trailer with 4 damp-rid hangers.  A mechanic at the dealer suggested I put a little vasoline with a q-tip on every nut & bolt.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »

enclosed trailers rust stuff bad - well any metal box will rust stuff -

a wood or dry concrete garage - with ample ventilation so the air inside never wants to condense is the main thing. a car port is better than a box

to

HVACdraftsman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 11:55:31 PM »

Really, I have a covered carport that I park my car under, should I park the bike under the carport move car and cover it every night, I do have an exagent outside cover instead of putting it in the hot tin box?
The salt air is also doing a job to my escalade and my mustang convertable, both of which have been parked under the carports and look like they need a washing everyday, I can't be a slave to 2 cars and a bike???

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »

:-\
"A mechanic at the dealer suggested I put a little vasoline with a q-tip on every nut & bolt. "

:drink:
A better and less messy solution would be to raid your wife or girlfriends bathroom supplies and steal her clear fingernail polish.

Coat those small bolts/nuts with the clear and you're good to go.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »

You could replace all visible bolts with polished stainless steel versions.  That's not going to help the chrome though. If you live in salt air, there is just more maintenance required to keep any vehicle looking nice...there's no getting around that fact in the long run.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »

You need a stainless steel bike. I bet Russel at Exile Cycle can make you a cool Stainless bike.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »

Hey, how about that gizmo you can get that uses electricity ( or some type of current ) to neutralize the salt molecules from causing corrosion? We Canadians can buy these kits up here to stop our cars from rusting. And I think this technology is used in marine application as well. It's some kind of small box that is wired in to your car/ bike and has some leads that you have to bolt to the frame of your vehicle. Then a special current is put through your ride to neutralize the bad nasty salt.  Some one knows of this on this forum for sure.  A bunch of very smart folks on here.  ;)
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

For what it's worth, my mechanic (an Independent) recommended I coat my engine, wheels, chrome, etc. w/Pig Spit (www.pitspit.com) before my trip to Key West last spring.  Made the motor look great - I was down there 8 days, rode through terrible weather getting there and again half the way back and I didn't have any problems with corrosion when I got home.  I did wash the bike once while in KW and re-applied it.
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »

Thank you Joe, I will look into it, I'm not much for washing or waxing my bike, but the last 2 bikes i owned really started to look like crap after only a few months.  Even the cylendars and head find were pitting and corroding. I wanna do something before I even ride it home.

And was the Cosmoline a joke or what?  I never herd of it.

Thanks guys,
Lance
HVACdraftsman@aol.com

Yes it's a joke.  Cosmolene is as a previous poster said a military product. It is virtual hell to get off of anything it is applied to.

Try this, for all of the nonzinc coated bolts, spray a little WD-40 on them periodically and after washing.  This is also a great solution for brightening up black and silver motors. Spray it on when the motor is warm after a ride and left it seep in.  It will smoke for a ltlle bit when you ride next but it soon goes away ane the black looks terriffic. Reapply when needed.

Jerry

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 21 queries.